Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next 6 months I'm in the the market for a "new" car. I'm currently on me 3rd Pajero in a row for light off road and towing duties but my wife (and to some extent I) would like something a lite more special for the next car.

With the current budget options include an updated Paj, AWD diesel Territory, Volvo D5 XC90 and a circa 2008 v6 tdi Touareg. Trying to do my research I have joined a number of forums, including yours, and have been impressed by the Treg and have test driven a couple. My other daily drive is a 2006 Golf which I love.

My mechanic says he hasn't ever serviced a Touareg by regularly services Audi Q7 and Cayenne diesel and is impressed by both. I tow a 16 foot pop-top caravan around 1.7 tonne.

I know there are other threads on this topic and I think I've read most of them including those from other countries but I'm keen to hear any other advice, particularly having just read the "I'm stuffed" thread.

·
Learner
5,017 Posts
Get a new or used 7P Touareg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mate, there is no comparison between the Mitsubishi and the T'reg. The Paj. is a truck with a rattly old donk. The Treg is a refined SUV with buckets of torque to tow your pop top. The T'reg will also be a much nicer car to drive when you're no towing (I'm guessing most of the time). As Singh said buy a 7P.

·
Registered
722 Posts
G'day Craig. Of the vehicles you mentioned, I would recommend either the PJ (NT or later) or a 3.0TDI Treg (07 build, MY08 [update] or later). Lower K's the better, Treg is a class above but you will pay extra for maintenance. Having said that, serviced properly, either should never let you down.
You will need a WDH (unless you can find a Treg with air) and forget what VW say about not using a WDH. Both are great tow vehicles. Whichever you buy... enjoy. Dub

·
Registered
21 Posts
G'day Craig. Of the vehicles you mentioned, I would recommend either the PJ (NT or later) or a 3.0TDI Treg (07 build, MY08 [update] or later). Lower K's the better, Treg is a class above but you will pay extra for maintenance. Having said that, serviced properly, either should never let you down.
You will need a WDH (unless you can find a Treg with air) and forget what VW say about not using a WDH. Both are great tow vehicles. Whichever you buy... enjoy. Dub
Depending on the ball weight of the pop top, you may not need a WDH. I tow many different sizes/layouts of van and do not tow with a WDH. I am "in the industry", so I'm very conscious of safety and portraying the industry in the correct light ie. Towing with a properly set up van, straight and level with the front wheel on the ground. Having said that, make sure you get a treg with the horizontal hitch in case you do need WDH.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Craig

You suggest your Pajero has been used for 'light off' road, but I'm unsure what that means.

You also want to tow a van. I have a 2012 Treg 4XMotion and a dual axle 18ft 1750kg pop top van. I've always used a WDH for this length van as I believe it helps stop sway and reduces flex through the tow vehicle. That said, there are electric sway inhibiters - ALKO comes to mind if you just want to stop sway.

After considerable research, I bought the 4XMotion as it answered my desire to do 'light off road'.

I've had it off road and am extremely impressed.

Go look at these two articles...

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

AND

Volkswagen Touareg 4Motion AWD System - A Comprehensive Review - YouWheel.com - Car News and Review

I waited till I got the right vehicle and paid in the mid $40's for my 2012 model.

On the blacktop, you'll have to deal with your partner complaining that you're 'at fault' because of the pax comfort. It drives so well. The 4XMotion has a different chip and has similar acceleration to the Cayenne > 0 - 100 in 9.6 secs. And, when around the 90's, and one wants to overtake, one has to be really careful because if you flatten the pedal the Treg will be doing 130k as it passes the front of the other!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
WOW you've had three pajero's !!!!

Definitely time to stretch out a bit

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's done. Taken delivery of a 2007 v6 tdi with air suspension. 4 year, manufacturer's extension warranty. 17 inch wheels. Already purchased a full size spare on eBay and have done a test tow of the caravan. All ok but needed the load box from vw as the van has led lights. Turns out the load box from vw was cheaper than all of the aftermarket ones. Looking forward to going away in it soon. Will post picks at some stage. Thanks to all for your suggestions

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,012 Posts
Well done Craig. 2007 TDI V6 with air? Mate...you have a Unicorn there. Very rare find, but well done.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Craig
Join the crowd. I too bought a 2007 (MY08) V6 TDI with air suspension last year. The original owner bought it specifically to tow a van so it had a towbar fitted. Just what I needed to tow my trailer sailer.

I had researched this size and type of vehicle for about 9 months before settling on the Treg. Others were the Territory, Discovery and V6 Pathfinder.
Could not find a V6 Pathfinder. Drove a 2yr old Territory and the Treg on the same day. No comparison!!!
The Treg I found here in Bris is Shadow Blue with Beige interior.

I have a local independent VW/Audi shop service it.
Only hiccup so far was a dead starter motor last week.

Tows the TS without any trouble.
Also bought a spare wheel on ebay for $100.00. Intend to mount it on the boat trailer.

The Treg came with a load box for LED trailer lights. Even though my trailer has LED lights, I have not had to use the load box as the LEDs work correctly and the Treg gives no indication that bulbs are missing etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts