Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got ahold of a Ross-tech cable from a friend and did a scan.
there were so many codes this thing was throwing i couldnt believe it.
I originally wanted to see what was wrong with my kessy module because none of the key less attributes were operating properly.
Well i cleared everything and like magic the car came alive. So happy i dont have to delve into the kessy board and change components.
We also modded the radio to get rid of the nav accept screen, omg that was worth the price of admission alone!
Vag-com should be the first thing anyone does to correct anything.
Erase the codes first, then if they return start troubleshooting. If i was going to keep my Treg i would buy me a Ross-tech in a minute.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE

About 2 hours after clearing the codes and the kessy operating well, i went back to the car to check and all previous faults with the kessy reared their ugly head again. Well i guess i have to rip apart the module and replace the mosfets anyway. I will update as i go.:cry:

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
FYI: You have double checked your battery. Probably is the kessy, but if the voltage is dropping low, possibly the battery.

If you have a battery charger, you can clear codes, leave it charger going for 2 to 3 hours, and come back and scan for new codes. If the codes reappear, then it is not the battery. If they don't come back... then wonder about either the battery or a parasitic draw. Bad kessy have been known to not go into sleep mode, which runs the battery down. Makes it complicated to figure out.

I like to know the resting voltage one or two hours after sitting and the same voltage after sitting at least 12 hours (easy at home checks)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup had the parasitic draw problem. only when i set the alarm. when i get back after a few hours it doesnt recognize my key. I turn the key the alarm goes off then i turn of then on again and evrything is fine. the kessy module is coming out in the morning and goin in for a fix of the two msfets and resistors if need be. a friend is doing it for me so cost is about 6 bux. ill update on the weekend when i get it back from him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got my kessy module back from my friend and was super happy with the job he did replacing the mosfets. A really neat clean job, doesn't even look like anything was replaced even though he had to move the 3 big blue components next to them for fear of heat damage. I'm reinstalling the module in a few hours. Hopefully it'll be the fix i'm hoping for. BTW upon removal i noticed that the lower dash had philips head screws instead of star heads. Leads me to believe that the last owner tackled this problem but didn't finish the play. I remember they told me "the dealer" said the key fobs had to be reprogrammed. Probably why i got the car so cheap. I'll update in a few hrs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: TADAAAA YESSSS!!!! Its a fix Ladies and Gentlemen. Threw the kessy module back in this morning and set the alarm. That was hours ago and when i walked up to it with the key in my pocket i heard the locks open and the alarm was disarmed. No battery drain and i didnt even have to clear the codes! I thought that was unusual, seems you have to clear the codes for everything to work properly on this car after its fixed. Oh well. The only thing wrong with this treg now is the dying headlights which I've traced to the bulb, not the ballast thank god. Its not out but its blacks out occasionally. The rest of this treg is SUHWEEET!
For a few minutes i was thinking maybe i should keep her, but i already have my eyes on the next low volumn see one every now and again performance vehicle. A 2010 Taurus SHO. I just love cars you dont see around on the road much.
If anyone is interested I'll be putting it up in the classified section with pics soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats.

Taurus SHO I'm sure is nice, but it's probably going to be a step down from a Touareg.... :- /
I think i need a step down. the parts are pretty expensive. I've been pretty creative and resourceful with the repairs and parts that have been needed. As it stands I've put $2400 into this rig. That includes valve body, lock actuator, intake manifold fix, kessy system, battery.
If i were to go the traditional route at the dealer the price tag wouldve been over $8700. This is a rich mans car. i'm just a working slob who loves cars and i'm addicted to the chase. I like finding gems that need a little polish. If i can enjoy it and get my money back to break even i'm happy. I've been playing with the houses money for about 8 years now and i've had about 6 different cars.
I also learn a heck of a lot along the way. Some priceless information really. Helped a lot of friends too. I have to admit this kessy problem was a bit difficult and i need a break from overly complicated (german) cars for awhile. As far as forums go this was one if the best communities i've ever been a part of. VW owners are a special group.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW The tech who fixed my kessy module would like to offer up his services to anyone on the forum who needs their
Module repaired. He did a perfect job. You can hardly tell anything was replaced. He even removed and replaced the three blue components so as not to damage them and to facilitate the replacement of the 2 mosfets in question. He also tested all resistors for me and confirmed they were good. He said he would repair them for $150 Parts included+shipping. If anyone needs that service PM me for info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts