Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few mates from work decided to leverage the decidedly mild WA spring weather and took a ride up towards York on Saturday morning to come back towards Perth on the (in)famous Powerline track.

There was a combination of vehicles (a Jeep, Suzi, old '88 Sahara Cruiser, a V6 Rav4, Prado and yours truly).

I stripped off the 20" rims and Goodyear road tyres and had my "off-road" play set of Old VW 17's and mid-range Falken Wildtrack ATs fitted.

I am truly amazed at what a vehicle we own. It did go in and out of low range throughout the day and the electronic diff locks were widely used as well.

Pleasing to say that the only damage done was a knock to the lower bumper due entirely to a lack of attention from the author (getting too cocky by the end of the day), and that is only superficial scuffing and the lower chrome grill, parking proximity ultrasonic etc. clicked back in to position.

Anyhow, if anybody tells you a Touareg is not a "real" 4WD, you'll know better. Nope, it doesn't have a live axle(s) and the same articulation as Cruisers, Patrols etc. (see one of the images of the vintage Cruiser crossed up - what an AWESOME old girl she is!) but what it lacks there it makes up for in assistance packages including the diff locks. And when we were done, we flicked it into on-road and drove home at 110km/hr in blissful silence (apart from the howl of those bloody A/T's - I really appreciate the road tyres now).

Enjoy the images. Not as good as Paul's shots and unfortunately no drones. ;)

Oh and for a soft-roader with a distinct lack of clearance and no low-range, the V6 Rav4 was AWESOME...

Cheers

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Does yours have 4-corner air? Too bad the 4XMOTION hasn't been available in the US since 2010...what a great system - mine is near unstoppable in anything I care to run it on. What a great car, and great pictures!

No drone necessary, but you need about 8 GoPro's suctioned all over that thing! :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Looks like you were having fun!!

I think it takes a little getting used to having no articulation. I previously wheeled a solid axle vehicle (1988 Grand Wagoneer) and am used to flex.

But you are correct, with a rear diff locker and front "pseudo" electronic locker via the brakes, it's pretty impressive as to what you can do.

·
Learner
4,707 Posts
Great stuff! Yep, more than just a soft roader! Only when you own ine ir see what its capable if people realise.
Had a disco owner see the v10 perform off-road at the last trip across this track in the blue mountains.... he wanted to buy it!

·
Registered
789 Posts
It looks like great fun - I'm envious as we can't get access to wild land in the UK - and I smile every time I see the thread title as I'm old enough to remember when "bush fun" meant something quite different!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Stabone33 - Yep - air all around. Had it on "off-road" level almost all of the time and on the "off-road extra" a few times as well.

@SteveL - Whoops. Sorry mate! We're planning another day in the new year - probably up to Seabird/Wilbinga (hopefully when it has cooled down a little and the bush ticks are settled!) if you're interested... :) I'll let you know. All good - no claim forthcoming from the weekend... :)

Cheers all

Andrew

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like great fun - I'm envious as we can't get access to wild land in the UK - and I smile every time I see the thread title as I'm old enough to remember when "bush fun" meant something quite different!
I'm not sure I know what you mean... >:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Out with the Summit Trax 4WD Club playing in Morgan Quarry in the Murray Riverlands:

Anywhere you can go, I can go too!

·
Learner
4,707 Posts
Out with the Summit Trax 4WD Club playing in Morgan Quarry in the Murray Riverlands:

Anywhere you can go, I can go too!
Well done Mike!!!
Any more pics? How did you go compared to these trucks? What did the 'experts' have to say? :smile:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Singh,

Apologies for the delay in reply ... been away for Xmas and the NewYear ... no more pics in Morgan Quarry, but here are two of my setup that weekend by a very full Murray River. Much warmer than at the Buckenderra Muster, but just as windy!

The Toyota bods don't rate the Touareg of course, 'cause you can't get a roo bar and winch off the shelf, but the V10 and 750 Newtons tends to change a few minds! With the diff locked, traction control worked well if you let it do the work uphill over the rough stuff, and low range first with foot off the brake works a treat for controlled hill descent!

Cheers and Happy New Year to all, Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi All
Did the Eureka 4WD training "sand" course on the weekend.
It runs through the sand dunes north of Perth (Wilbinga).
I was a bit unsure of the car's ability given that it's all electronic now (MY2015), but no need to worry.
I put on my old cayenne 18" wheels with 265/60 Pirelli scorpion AT/R's.
I let the tyres down to 18PSI and had no difficulty traversing the beach and climbing some fairly high sand dunes.
One of the 200 series land cruiser drivers even came up to me and said "they don't go too bad do they".
We also even used the Touareg for a snatch strap demonstration, where we snatched out a bogged ute using a billet recovery hitch in the tow bar.
I tried one moderate sand dune in both off road and on road mode to see what the difference is.
I couldn't discern any real difference in performance (the car climbed the dune effortlessly in both modes).
However the off road mode turns on a really neat hill descent mode and also allows both the traction control and the stability control to be disabled (with a long press of the button).
We only got beaten on the last really tall sand dune after it had been churned up a bit.
But overall a really impressive piece of kit off road.
My son took some video but the camera work's a bit average, and I'm not 100% sure how to put it on youtube...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome - plan to go up there (hopefully) before the end of Feb/Mid way through March.

Not sure if I have the courage to take it on to the beach though (just yet). Seen too many folks bogged down there with the sand being like talcum powder... :)

But those dunes above the big circle at the bottom just after you come off the beach - they are something else.

We did the Eureka 2 day course with our first 4x4 (V6 Frontera) and learnt quickly the value of tyre pressures. On day 2 we went up to Wilbinga as well. Couldn't get up one of the longest dunes for love or money. Several attempts later I was thinking we'd bought a lemon. The instructor jumped in. Failed attempt yet again. He asked what the tyre pressure was. I said 14 PSI. He said drop it to 12. I said seriously, 2PSI? He said "Are you paying me to teach you or just come along for the ride?" Couldn't argue with that, so I dropped the pressures by 2PSI down to 12. Next time - flew up like it was on steroids. 2PSI. Seriously... Lesson learnt. By the way the Fronty was pretty damn good as well - just not able to be lifted to provide decent clearance. But power/weight - it was awesome. I did about 15 km on the soft beaches down near Preston Beach before realising I had left it in 2WD. <idiot> Everybody else was in 4WD and working hard to power through the soft sand... :)

Cheers

Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts