Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2008 Touareg V8
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this fully loaded T2 V8 w/ Air in the Salsa Red color. Yes, its a factory color and the original owner ordered it.
If you google this Touareg color, the one you will see is exactly the one I have, so it's why I say I have the only one in the country? Anyways I have few issues.

1) I have these two codes. The first one, I'm planning on replacing the sensor and pick up a HPFP from an Q7 at the salvage yard.

2) For the second code, take a look at the picture of intake manifold. The 2 intake manifold drive unit (circled in Red) don't move at all, even when you rev the engine. So the flaps are not opening or closing. I read somewhere on the Q7 forum that they open at a higher rpm. They just seem stuck. Can they be cleaned or something? There is a Q7 V8 at the salvage yard that I'm planning on taking the part from

3) So the Touareg drives just fine and goes through all gears smoothly and does not seem to lack power. But once the engine hit 3000 rpm, it acts like its starving, like lacking fuel or something. When you floor it at speed to get going or take over another vehicle, as long as the downshift is below 3K rpm and it will move as usual/normal and no issues. BUT whenever you floor it and the downshift happens at 3K rpm, the Touareg just does not move, does not go anywhere, lacking power as if something is blocking or stopping it from moving forward or something. You can drive however you want, staying below 3K, everything would be fine, but going hard or full throttle to the point it hits 3K cause hesitation or a sign of lack power.

I wonder if my intake manifold issue and even fuel pump causing this? Any ideas, thoughts? Thank you.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 079-907-560-BAR.clb
Control Module Part Number: 7L0 907 560 E HW: 7L0 907 560 E
Component and/or Version: 4.2l V8/4V 0030
Software Coding: 04210009590F0560
Work Shop Code: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: 3365AACB513561130E-515A
5 Faults Found:

008854 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276)
P2296 - 001 - Short to Plus - MIL ON

008200 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1
P2008 - 004 - Electrical Malfunction - MIL ON

005241 - Brake Boost Vacuum System
P1479 - 008 - Mechanical Failure

008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
P2187 - 004 - - MIL ON

008585 - Bank 2; System too Lean at Idle
P2189 - 004 - - MIL ON

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Sky
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
767 Posts
For #1 you just need the sensor on the front of the HPFP. New aftermarket they are about $60 if I remember correctly. It just unscrews out of HPFP, have a towel ready as there is some fuel under pressure that will come out, but not alot You'll also have to replace the blown 20 amp fuse in plenum fuse box (drivers side) below windshield, second or third fuse.

As for #2, The intake manifold for the FSI is a non serviceable item. You could try some new motors where you circled in red but it probably won't help. In the search bar type "2008 intake manifold fix or replace" where I posted pictures of the interior of my manifold that I repaired. The repair lasted about a year before the rod snapped by the last flap. I think the last for guide was not quite in line with the others. $1600 for new intake manifold.
Be prepared to do a Carbon clean while you're in there. Lots of info here on what's needed for that task. How many miles are on the clock, that manifold looks like it's had a hard life.

Reactions: Micheld7

· Registered
2008 Touareg V8
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Side note: I picked it up just the way it is, with the rpm stuff and the codes and drove it 12hrs home, no hi-cups cruising at 80-85mph. I was well aware.

The upper drive unit/more with the short arm works well. It's the lower lower motor with the long arms that you mentioned isn't work. I'll replace that motor and see what it does before thinking about removing the manifold. I saw your pictures and your flaps was broken? I wonder if mine is broken or why it is stuck. I'll try moving it by hand. Let me replace the motor and see what that does.

· Registered
5,666 Posts
That is a NICE looking egg

· Registered
767 Posts
The guides that held the flaps and rod had separated from the manifold. If the upper arm moves freely you're probably alright unless the small arms controlling the flaps have come loose or broken, but you said you cruised home at 80 so I assume they're ok.
The outside sensors control a metal flap that regulates the exhaust flow. You didn't mention the mileage but it's my guess if it's not the sensors or the motor below, The exhaust flaps probably need to be cleaned, this can be done without splitting the manifold open. You could also try taking off 1 sensor at a time to see if you can move exhaust vent flaps manually.

· Registered
2008 Touareg V8
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guides that held the flaps and rod had separated from the manifold. If the upper arm moves freely you're probably alright unless the small arms controlling the flaps have come loose or broken, but you said you cruised home at 80 so I assume they're ok.
The outside sensors control a metal flap that regulates the exhaust flow. You didn't mention the mileage but it's my guess if it's not the sensors or the motor below, The exhaust flaps probably need to be cleaned, this can be done without splitting the manifold open. You could also try taking off 1 sensor at a time to see if you can move exhaust vent flaps manually.
oh sorry. I crossed 150K miles on the drive back. The flap issue has been fixed. I tried manually turning it and it turned smoothly and then I saw the connector to the motor/drive unit was unplugged (don't know how I missed that). I plugged it back in and it works flawlessly.

Now I'll get the sensor for the HPFP and see what that does

· Registered
767 Posts
oh sorry. I crossed 150K miles on the drive back. The flap issue has been fixed. I tried manually turning it and it turned smoothly and then I saw the connector to the motor/drive unit was unplugged (don't know how I missed that). I plugged it back in and it works flawlessly.

Now I'll get the sensor for the HPFP and see what that does
Awesome, glad it was easy. Did you get service records? I’m sure it’s ready for a de- carbon? Does it leak any oil? Love the color, never seen it on a Touareg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Current: 2017 Wolfsburg Edition
16 Posts
I picked up this fully loaded T2 V8 w/ Air in the Salsa Red color. Yes, its a factory color and the original owner ordered it.
If you google this Touareg color, the one you will see is exactly the one I have, so it's why I say I have the only one in the country? Anyways I have few issues.

1) I have these two codes. The first one, I'm planning on replacing the sensor and pick up a HPFP from an Q7 at the salvage yard.

2) For the second code, take a look at the picture of intake manifold. The 2 intake manifold drive unit (circled in Red) don't move at all, even when you rev the engine. So the flaps are not opening or closing. I read somewhere on the Q7 forum that they open at a higher rpm. They just seem stuck. Can they be cleaned or something? There is a Q7 V8 at the salvage yard that I'm planning on taking the part from

3) So the Touareg drives just fine and goes through all gears smoothly and does not seem to lack power. But once the engine hit 3000 rpm, it acts like its starving, like lacking fuel or something. When you floor it at speed to get going or take over another vehicle, as long as the downshift is below 3K rpm and it will move as usual/normal and no issues. BUT whenever you floor it and the downshift happens at 3K rpm, the Touareg just does not move, does not go anywhere, lacking power as if something is blocking or stopping it from moving forward or something. You can drive however you want, staying below 3K, everything would be fine, but going hard or full throttle to the point it hits 3K cause hesitation or a sign of lack power.

I wonder if my intake manifold issue and even fuel pump causing this? Any ideas, thoughts? Thank you.

5 Faults Found:

P2187 - 004 - - MIL ON

P2189 - 004 - - MIL ON

View attachment 251800 View attachment 251801 View attachment 251802 View attachment 251803 View attachment 251804 View attachment 251806 View attachment 251801

5 Faults Found:

P2187 - 004 - - MIL ON

P2189 - 004 - - MIL ON

View attachment 251800 View attachment 251801 View attachment 251802 View attachment 251803 View attachment 251804 View attachment 251806 View attachment 251801
I love the look. Nice Treg. What size wheels and tires, if you don't mind sharing?

· Registered
2008 Touareg V8
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, glad it was easy. Did you get service records? I’m sure it’s ready for a de- carbon? Does it leak any oil? Love the color, never seen it on a Touareg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have much record. The seller swore that the engine was taken apart for cleaning and timing chain was done and carbon cleaning was done, intake manifold was cleaned and that the engine is in "immaculate condition." He also has a 2010 and 2012 Touareg and a Mk2 Golf Gti, a VW fan.
I don't see any oil leak. He had the valve cover gaskets replaced as well. So far nothing yet.

The front end is completely shot, so I'm replacing all the controls arms and bushings and links this weekend. It has a little air leak at the front passenger residual valve, I'll do that at the same time.
I have EPC light on which is for the N276 sensor at the HPFP. Working on that.

It's an extremely rare color. I have the one that you see here 2008 Salsa Red Volkswagen Touareg 2 V8 #76987517 Photo #6 | GTCarLot.com - Car Color Galleries - But this color was offered only for the 2008 model. The build sheet sticker in the rear cargo is no longer there.

· Registered
101 Posts
It’s amazing, I’m always learning something new on this forum… I’ve never even heard of this rare color And it’s gorgeous. It’s interesting that this particular color included color matched bumpers and lower level exterior trim. Because that wasn’t even an option in 2008

· Registered
2008 Touareg V8
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
After cloning a used ECU from another 08 Touareg V8 FSI, my P2296 issue has been FIXED after almost 4 years.

I say 4 years because I saw this particular Touareg in Tennessee late 2019 by a Lady who said the car has been having fuel issues and she was tired of taking from shop to shop and endless money. I almost bought it for $1500, but I wasn't quick enough. Since then its been bounced from owner to owner and state to state.
Finally picked it up last summer.

Restored all the messed up wiring and new OEM HPFP and fuel filter, but nothing. Fuses were good.
A used clone ECU fixed it.

· Registered
767 Posts
After cloning a used ECU from another 08 Touareg V8 FSI, my P2296 issue has been FIXED after almost 4 years.

I say 4 years because I saw this particular Touareg in Tennessee late 2019 by a Lady who said the car has been having fuel issues and she was tired of taking from shop to shop and endless money. I almost bought it for $1500, but I wasn't quick enough. Since then its been bounced from owner to owner and state to state.
Finally picked it up last summer.

Restored all the messed up wiring and new OEM HPFP and fuel filter, but nothing. Fuses were good.
A used clone ECU fixed it.
[/QUOTE

· Registered
767 Posts
You are the man, perseverance pays off. Congrats & thanks for posting update

· Registered
5,666 Posts
Wow this is awesome good work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts