Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 12+ years and nearly 1/4M miles with the trusty 2008 T2, I finally lost the key that goes to the security lugs one fine day recently. I always thought that security lug was a solution in search of a problem - I mean, does anybody steal the wheels off these things? Wouldn't a crook who does that sort of thing have a work-around anyway?

In any event I explored a few things and found a solution I'm really happy with so wanted to share with the group in case others may have the same issue.

In summary, the solution is this.

Made quick work of getting those stupid bolts out. I'd ordered non-security bolts from VW ($35 for 4 bolts shipped to my door) and had them sitting on my workbench for weeks while I searched for a good solution. At first I thought well that looks like a spline so I picked up a set of spline sockets but no... at least the spline sockets I got didn't quite fit.

I'll also add that I was really dreading the prospect of having to drill the bolt and use an extractor, but I think part of that is the rather Micky-Mouse extractor set I owned. So just in case the solution above didn't work, I picked up a set of these as well. I never had to use them but I wouldn't dread using these at all if it came to that. Much more heavy duty than the ones I have that you kinda have to use with a tap/die type thingy to twist it. Ya.... 130 ft-lbs with that thing would be a real party for sure. In any case I never used my backup plan but I'm sure glad to have that in the toolbox for the next time mother nature strikes in the midst of a project. (y)

I'm attaching here a photo of the specific type of security bolt I was blessed with. From what I've read VW has gone to a different type in more recent models, so I don't know if this'd work with the later types or not but I hope that'll be helpful to someone.

Certainly other solutions are possible - including perhaps welding a proper bolt onto the existing abomination. But the way the wheels are designed with the nuts pretty far in I wasn't comfortable I could get enough access for a proper weld. I more experienced welder probably could, but for me this $30 set was by far the path of least resistance. I had more than that in the proper bolts that should've been there in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
Hammer in a impact scocket and reMove slowly with a breaker bar. Or get a lock key set online. About $100 and sell when you are done.

·
Registered
MY18 - Black V6 TDI Touareg
85 Posts
Not had this issue with my Touareg but watched a neighbour desperately looking for a solution to remove lock bolts from his BMW recently.
If your car has ever been in for a service it is always wise to check this component is returned to its location in the car.
Thank you for the tool tip.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Buy 2 and keep one at home in that drawer we all have with all those other important thingummyjigs, whatsits and oojimaflips from long ago that really could be binned now but never are!

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could use grip pliers.
You can use an angle grinder to make two flat sides and then a normal spanner.
You can grind a slit or a cross in the head and use a screw driver or impact wrench.
Many ways.
You could even use one of those wrenches that have sprung pins and adjust to almost any shape you push them onto.
It is not like these bolts are safe as such, or even difficult to remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts