Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had a flat battery at the weekend and so it's made me think about possibly getting a solar charge to keep the battery topped up as it's not the easiest thing to get to. We don't use the car as much as we should as i have a company car for weekdays and the Touareg was purchased to tow our touring caravan so the battery doesn't really get re-charged through normal use. It's not anywhere near an electrical point to put a trickle charger onto it so has anyone got a solar charge to keep the battery topped up and are they any good ? If so then what rating panel do you use ?

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Where are you in the world?

Recommended makes may differ.

Some solar chargers connect into the OBDII socket.

Click on User CP to update your profile with model, year and location.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I take it that you are not parked close enough to electricity to use a 24/7 maintenance charger on the battery? Then a solar panel is a good option to help keep the battery charged.
Touareg Trivia. "It is mentioned in some of the marketing literature."

VW had on option on the 2004 that put a solar panel in place of the sunroof. It used the solar panel to run the vent fan on hot days, pulling in outside air to help cool off the cabin, not to charge the battery. As if those vent motors didn't wear out soon enough... ;)

Other "almost never seen" options was a hydraulic rear sway bay disconnect. The disconnect hydraulic motor sits in the back where the rear 4 zone went, so it was an either one, but not both option.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Actually, it is, and I believe the user who asked for those details justified his question right after that.... if you read that post...... :grin2:

I was making a statement and agreeing that location makes a difference but now I realize I misstated.
The Sun is no different. It's atmospheric conditions and the Earths tilt on its axis that makes the Suns effects different depending on where you're located.:wink2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an OEM VW Solar charger that came with my 2002 Passat that was used for keeping the battery charged during shipping to the dealer.
Plugs into the 12v outlet. I would be willing to sell it if anyone is interested. Make me an offer plus shipping cost. I am in Wisconsin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
JimJ
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing