Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Not sure anyone will be seeing tricked out 65 year old Touaregs!
They might.... these puppies are so inexpensive that some of us may need 65 years just to pay them off. 馃槀

Registered
Serious off roading would be for the older T'regs owned by, well off road geeks is kinda wrong, who have bought a cheap TDI with real off road capability and little to lose.
The new ones are not particularly suited for real 4 WD off road and are basically boulevard cruisers that might go in the snow.
Perfect for me, even in Florida where we don't see snow.
The only real reason I have a 2012 Touareg is that it is a little taller than a Passat and easier for your elders to get in and out of and it tows my 16' Scamp really well. (there is an advantage to 400 ft lbs of torque).
Between an older Jeep and and old Touareg is an individual choice, but most of the crimson head support crowd would not even be aware of the Touareg.
i beg to differ ..has out done every similar tire sized Cherokee ive been out with easily

Registered
He's back! Great pics as always

Registered
Figured I'd share. Did a 3 day trip with a group of 6 vehicles a few weeks ago. My first time offroading anything. Vehicle is a 2014 TDI with 2" Forge Overland lift on 32" Ko2s, sway bars disconnected. Kept up fine with modified Jeeps, Landcruiser etc. although I wouldn't say equally as capable. Definitely felt the need for low range a few times. I was the only vehicle with independent suspension and no low speed transfer case. Suspension travel in droop is extremely limited with the lift, but in compression obviously there is tons of articulation . Brakelockers work fantastic, without it the truck has no business being offroad. Overall the entire group was impressed with the Touareg by the end of the trip, half of whom expected to be winching it through/over every obstacle.
Can't wait to do this again!

Registered
2006 T-reg v8
Glad to hear you had fun and showed Jeeps, Landcruiser etc that they are not the only ones who can have fun too. I love seeing the looks from Jeep owners when they see me on the trails.

Registered
Figured I'd share. Did a 3 day trip with a group of 6 vehicles a few weeks ago. My first time offroading anything. Vehicle is a 2014 TDI with 2" Forge Overland lift on 32" Ko2s, sway bars disconnected. Kept up fine with modified Jeeps, Landcruiser etc. although I wouldn't say equally as capable. Definitely felt the need for low range a few times. I was the only vehicle with independent suspension and no low speed transfer case. Suspension travel in droop is extremely limited with the lift, but in compression obviously there is tons of articulation . Brakelockers work fantastic, without it the truck has no business being offroad. Overall the entire group was impressed with the Touareg by the end of the trip, half of whom expected to be winching it through/over every obstacle.
View attachment 241198

Out of curiosity, with over 400 foot pounds of torque what gave you the idea that you needed a low range?

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Keep in mind that he's messed up his gearing by going to larger tires.....

Registered
Ya that's true, he's running roughly 2 in larger than stock which is something like 29 and 1/2 in. But with the very low first gear and 400 lb of torque on tap I'm just trying to picture a scenario when low gear was needed. On other cars I've had there is definitely been a need for the low gear transfer case because they just didn't have the nut off the line that I needed when fording water or an ultra deep mud or going up a steep hill climb etc. but with the Touareg this has never been an issue for me.

Registered
Many of us do enjoy taking the Touareg off road. Having the benefit of low gearing allows slow movement going up and down. "Slow as possible and as fast as necessary". Also allows better control of the vehicle so it's not all about horsepower or torque. DJ

Registered
Yes that is completely true, but that is also the exact point of the off-road dial in the center console... Enabling off-road mode decreases throttle response significantly and improves braking response significantly. So I guess my question still stands?

Registered
View attachment 241198
Did you disconnect front and rear sway bars? Do you feel that made a difference? I have almost the identical set up 2016 TDI, 2 inch Forge lift on 32s. Also, did you notice a difference in driving not off road? More body roll, anything?

I鈥檝e also read that disconnecting the sway bars also might cause an issue with the cv joints popping out?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts