1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
battery light came on said something about charging system
said shutting down electrical system

getting 12v when running

pulled the cable coming from alt off the red battery distribution block getting 0volts

04 T1
should I buy a rebuilt or used?

not buying new $$$$

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our 08 totally bugged out. Dropped each electrical option one at a time then wouldn't shift on a drive home. Then came back on.

New (AutoZone lifetime) and battery. No issue since. Very easy swap. Battery was harder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Our 08 totally bugged out. Dropped each electrical option one at a time then wouldn't shift on a drive home. Then came back on.

New (AutoZone lifetime) and battery. No issue since. Very easy swap. Battery was harder.
Hey Tim,

My T1 is doing the exact same problems. Everything starts turning off, no shifting, injectors start losing power, now I'm slowing down, and then suddenly the alternator comes back on. Drive for another couple miles(to charge the batt), before pulling over, shut down, then restart to get all the electronics working, and able to shift.

Tim,
My question to you is. How did you do the swap? How can you call it easy? I've only crawled around from below, and I'm not seeing a 'Very easy job'. What did I miss?

Thanks,
~ Junior

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any chance the OP's vehicle is a V6? If so, might be more accessible.
From what I've read, an alternator replacement on our 08, V8 FSI, is a very in depth job. I believe VW states "engine out" job.
FWIW, I've seen DIY's where people change the alternator from the passenger side wheel well, without removing engine. Regardless, not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey N8,

After you asked, I checked Tim's profile. Yes, he has a V6... So that makes all the difference for me.

I've read about the passenger wheel well approach. Haven't found any in depth information on the job. Don't know what sizes of what tools, or how to's. Hopefully it's pretty straight forward.

Thanks for your post N8,
~ Junior

·
Registered
76 Posts
Finally got my new junkyard alternator in the mail.

UPS is not keeping me a happy customer, these past few years. I don't know if it's because it's the Christmas season or what! But my package sat in Dallas for three days. Because it was going ground, they weren't going to do anything about it until it stopped moving forward a week. Ok, my rant is over!

Took the new unit to a alternator shop, tested good for functionality. It looks like it should be a plug and play scenario. To rebuild the original alternator, it'll be in the neighborhood of $20 - $250, if they can do it! The guy said he had never rebuilt one of these specific cores, so he wasn't sure if it was even doable. Apparently, some units can't be rebuilt(Sounds like Mercedes Benz, if you ask me).

Hopefully I'll have the time to replace it this weekend, but I work both Saturday and Sunday.... No rest for the wicked, I guess.

I have to read more about this task, for the V8. I think I know what the big steps are, but can't over learn a new trick
~ Junior

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Please take a few pics if you can as you go so you can help others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please take a few pics if you can as you go so you can help others.
Good call, I'm not photographer but I can snap plenty. With my phone.

I'll take the pictures, someone else can do the write up. If interested. Or, copy and paste, with the OP's write up(actually not a bad idea).

~ Junior

1 - 9 of 9 Posts