Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put some Michelin 255/60 18 snows on my "new" 2016 TDI. No TPMS sensors installed. No dash lights or annoying nanny warnings. Just a text message "TPMS system disabled" displayed after driving for 15 minutes or so.

Based on reading prior posts, looks like someone at VW took an adult approach during latest software update - impressive.

The Michelin Latitude Alpin snow tires are also impressive. Smoother ride and quieter than the OEM Goodyear LS2's

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2011 T-reg, which was reprogrammed to get the latest maps in.

After putting the winter tires, I only got the gong once saying just the same "TPMS deactivated" or similar. No lights or constant warning.

Haven't driven it since. Will the message pop up every time, or was that one time enough...?

·
Registered
486 Posts
OK got my snow tire setup installed today.

I went with :

Nokian Nordman 7 SUV (non studded) 255/55/18XL 109T tires.
Huf RDE048V21 TPMS sensors
18" OEM VW Manhattan rims (professionally refinished) and center caps.

Definitely a different look on the Treg but I'm waiting for some more deep snow to come so I can see if there is an improvement in handling over the 285/45/19 all seasons I had on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I find it weird that 255/55R18 measure out to a 29" diameter while 255/60R18 are 30" diameter.

I had this issue of smaller tires on my Jetta and finding out my winter setup being 10% off at the speedo. Since I didn't want this to be the case on the Touareg - did some research...

So looking at the size combos and calculated diameters....

I ended up getting 255/60R18 Nokian Nordman 7 SUV for my winter setup. Speedo is 1% faster against a GPS measured speed. I can live with this. These have been great on the snow and icy roads and even decent for some off-roading (while out hunting).

·
Registered
134 Posts
TPMS is law of the land here in the US, therefore no factory disable. Could we update US models to CA via vagcom? Would be a useful mod if someone figured it out. I decided against installing TPMS in my winter setup and just live with the dash light.

·
Registered
100 Posts
TPMS is law of the land here in the US, therefore no factory disable. Could we update US models to CA via vagcom? Would be a useful mod if someone figured it out. I decided against installing TPMS in my winter setup and just live with the dash light.
I don't know of a way to auto-disable TPMS, but you can just turn off the light via VCDS. I believe it's in the gauge console module options somewhere; I just deactivate for the winter and turn it back on in the spring.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2010 and I have winter wheels/tires without TPMS. I have the dash light on as a result -- any way to disable the light and then turn it on in the spring when I put other wheels back on?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2010 and I have winter wheels/tires without TPMS. I have the dash light on as a result -- any way to disable the light and then turn it on in the spring when I put other wheels back on?
I don't know specifically for the T2s but I would guess that there is an option through VCDS to accomplish that. Check settings in the gauge cluster module, that's where it is for the T3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My old 2010 had the TPMS disabled by the previous owner somehow since it was off. I never dug to deep with the scanner, but I know there is some way to turn it off.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I just purchased snow tires and wheels from a member here which included TPMS sensors in the wheels. His Touareg was a T3 and mine is a T2. Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors are compatible between T2 and T3 models?

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is how I turned dash light off through VCDS for my 08 Passat, not sure it is the same for Touareg
19-CAN Gateway
Installation List
Scroll down to find Tire Pressure (#65 on Passat)
Uncheck the box

Post back if it works ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
OK got my snow tire setup installed today.

I went with :

Nokian Nordman 7 SUV (non studded) 255/55/18XL 109T tires.
Huf RDE048V21 TPMS sensors
18" OEM VW Manhattan rims (professionally refinished) and center caps.

Definitely a different look on the Treg but I'm waiting for some more deep snow to come so I can see if there is an improvement in handling over the 285/45/19 all seasons I had on it.

We have same year with 19" and when I put the 17" winter setup on it looks so different but I like how they perform in the snow. Put a new set of the Nokian WRG3 SUV and so far like them, not a true winter tire but based on early snow driving they do a good job and should last longer than softer winter tires

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just purchased snow tires and wheels from a member here which included TPMS sensors in the wheels. His Touareg was a T3 and mine is a T2. Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors are compatible between T2 and T3 models?
T2 uses 433MHz for their TPMS and so do the T3. Now the wesbite I looked at quotes different models for the 433MHz sensors for differing years and I don't see what makes them really different.

Even the 2016 uses 433MHz sensors and yet different part from the 2011 and 2008...

www.tpms247.com is where I bought mine for my winter set of tires.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
T2 uses 433MHz for their TPMS and so do the T3. Now the wesbite I looked at quotes different models for the 433MHz sensors for differing years and I don't see what makes them really different.

Even the 2016 uses 433MHz sensors and yet different part from the 2011 and 2008...

www.tpms247.com is where I bought mine for my winter set of tires.
I suppose I will find out after I install the wheels and tires if they work or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
T3 changed in 2015 based on build date, early tpms not compatible with '15 and up. I bought a set of wheels from a '13 and they did not work with my '15. I dont know about early T3 on a T2.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
T3 changed in 2015 based on build date, early tpms not compatible with '15 and up. I bought a set of wheels from a '13 and they did not work with my '15. I dont know about early T3 on a T2.
I bought the winter wheels and tires from a forum member here who owned a 2013 TDI. He purchased the wheels and tires from tire rack with TPMS sensors. According to Tire Rack, the sensors are the same for 2008 and 2013 Touareg’s.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Perry01 When I purchased the Huf RDE048V21 TPMS sensors, the Huf website said that they fit '07-'15 Tregs.They are the IntelliSens type.

I'm not sure if the ones you have on those rims are the same as the ones you have in the picture.
Sounds like installing at least one tire will tell you if they will work.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Perry01 When I purchased the Huf RDE048V21 TPMS sensors, the Huf website said that they fit '07-'15 Tregs.They are the IntelliSens type.

I'm not sure if the ones you have on those rims are the same as the ones you have in the picture.
Sounds like installing at least one tire will tell you if they will work.
The picture provided by Tire Rack may not be the actual TPMS sensor but the part number is the same up to 2015 and that is the important thing. I’ll install all 4 wheels/tires and will find out for certain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts