Club Touareg Forum banner

Snow tires for 19"

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  UO_duck 
#1 ·
Please help me! Will a Size: 255/50VR19 work on a Touareg?
Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow has a tire in the above size.
Any other suggestions for a 19" wheel snow tire?

Thank you

#2 ·
I'm not sure what your winter conditions are but I would consider getting the Scorpions in the 255/55-18 size. I don't know if the 19 in. you asked about would fit. Tire Rack has a reasonably priced tire/wheel package. I just got them and they look like they will do the job. Usually in snow conditons you are better off with a little narrower tire, the wider ones tend to float on top and not get a good grip.

#3 ·
I have also seen the Scorpian snows for 19's. I really don't want to buy another set of wheels as I lease my T-reg for my wife. I am just looking of a little extra traction versus the P-Zero's on it now.

If I get heavy/deep snow, unlikely in NC, I'll take the Yukon XL, as I don't want some other guy taking out the T-reg! I have Michlien Mud and Snow's on the Yukon which I like.

Living in the CT countryside for 2 years with lots of snow, it never got stuck. I used tp pass snowplows! Michlien doesn't, to my knowledge, make this tire for 19's.

Anyone bought a set of Scorpians?

#5 ·
Pirelli Scorpio Ice & Snow 19 Inch

I had a minor accident with the Touareg (couldn't stop coming down a steep snow covered driveway) forcing me to replace my Yokohama 19 inch tires. I am picking the vehicle up Monday evening in Denver with four new Scorpion Ice and Snows. Should have a chance to test it in snow by the end of the week.

#6 ·
Worry about the load

When I got my "snow" tires for my Touareg, they didn't make a "snow" tire for the 19" wheels (Feb 04). The biggest holdup was not the size of the tire, but the load the tire could carry. I could find all kinds of tires that would fit, just none that could carry a Touareg.

So, you should double check this. Having a tire fail can be much worse than having some traction issues. i.e. Ford Exploders with the Firestones

I ended up getting a set of all seasons and put them on a second set of wheels that are 18". Its much easier (and free) to swap the whole wheel as opposed to changing the tire on the wheel.

#7 ·
19 inch Scorpions

I have the 19 inch Pirelli Scorpios Ice and Snow tires. So far so good. I drove through some snowy conditions yesterday but haven't given them a real good test yet. I bought these because I have a very steep driveway and did $11,000 worth of damage sliding down the driveway in late October. Going skiing tomorrow.

#8 ·
Scorpion Ice & Snows

I have driven in some moderate snow, but no substantial accumulation since putting these tires on. I don't know about the load factor. I don't do heavy towing, but I do carry a 300 pound dirt bike on a hitch carrier which probably equates to about a 500 pound tongue weight. I had this on when I drove from Denver to the Tahoe area at speeds of up to 90 mph. Everything felt fine and I couldn't notice any significant difference from the Yokohamas that I had on previously. I do know that the magical words "ice and snow" on the sidewalls will qualify me to proceed through snowtire and chain controls in this area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.