Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visually, it seems like 10-15mm wheel spacers would resolve the clearance issue of not being able to run chains. Are there any reasons this wouldn't work?

The rear wheels don't seem to have any clearance issues, anyone know why it's not recommended?

First post, and first time Touareg owner. Just bought a 2014 last weekend, trying to prep for it's first snow trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think you are going to have to be the guinea pig for this one! From the looks of thing you probably have the engineering nous to do it.

Interesting stable in your signature. Do post some pix of the Electric Passat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a bunch of pics of the Passat. It's been on the road since 4/2009, coming up on 10 years, and 90k ev miles so far. It's been pretty trouble free the entire time. I have a webpage showing the build:

Apparently I'm too much of a noob to be granted permission to post a URL.

Interesting stable in your signature. Do post some pix of the Electric Passat.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Gordon Norah - that's one helluva piece of kit!!

You should be able to post a link - just leave some spaces in the address to fool the sytem so I can remove them and have a look. Thank you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thule Snow Chains

I have used these in Scotland. Called Thule K-Summit. Very easy to fit, low profile, Very secure, easy to remove. Haven’t seen anything like this in NA.

I now use studded Nokian snow tyres in northern Ontario. Much better all round in winter than snow chains.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I was able to add a link in my signature;
etischer. com /awdev/

Thank you.

Sometimes - as in this case - the non-Touareg bits that come to light on here are way more interesting than boring old VW SUVs!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting that the 2013-2016 Cayenne manuals say to put chains only on the rear axle. There's a 5mm rear wheel spacer that needs to be removed, and chains are compatible with 18", 19", 20" tire sizes.

Touareg manual says to put chains only on the front, and only compatible with 17", 18". Definitely seems like there is more clearance in the rear.

Curious to know if the Touareg and Cayenne have the same axle width.
Porsche rear track is 64.7-65.7" (includes spacer?)
Touareg rear track is 65.8"

Porsche makes chains for the Cayenne.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I wonder if the front or rear fitting is to do with the difference in front/rear power balance?

On the Touareg I understand it is a "forced" 50/50 split whereas on the Porker it is rear biased 38F/62R.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I've started reading your electric journey. Good stuff. Do you work for Tesla still?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts