Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a self-diagnosed move of brilliance, managed to crack the touchscreen in a few places on the RNS 850 in our 2012 Lux.

Search showed rather few experiences with this problem, and thought I would ask the collected wisdom here for ideas.

- Is anyone aware of an outfit that takes these and repairs them? My sense is the electronics behind the screen are a-OK; the screen displays properly, I realized there's a safety film that keeps the glass from protruding, and I can even make some sections of the screen work (areas near the cracks do not respond to touch). Seems like this is more akin to a broken cell phone screen, just with a two ton SUV attached to it.

- I called Crutchfield, who told me the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 845 is a direct plug-and-play OEM replacement, which would retain the steering wheel controls, etc. Again, search of the forums turned up no mention of this head unit, does anyone have experience with it? It's $800 before installation, so this seems like meager savings from an OEM replacement (which I have not yet priced, but I will assume this is a four-figure cost).

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Based on the info I could find in etka, the part number is 7P6 919 603C and it can be found for under $500. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on the info I could find in etka, the part number is 7P6 919 603C and it can be found for under $500. Best of luck in your search.
Thanks! Will need to find a schematic for the head unit...I wonder if it's as simple as unscrewing and plugging in, or if there are heat guns involved?

Anyone who's torn one of these down before, your experience would be greatly appreciated. I've only found those that have used sketching components from parts unknown, to predictable results.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would interpret the diagram the same way. I would call your local VW dealership and verify whether you need the C version or the CX version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would interpret the diagram the same way. I would call your local VW dealership and verify whether you need the C version or the CX version.
Indeed, will do. I am awaiting a call back from the dealer on this, but this will certainly allow me to ask an informed question.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry for crashing the thread - unsure how to start a new one.

My RNS 850 just stopped working. The day before it was working fine. Next morning it would not turn on. Blue tooth and parking sensors still functional . MFD simply says infotainment system switched off.

Any ideas how to restart the system ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem except mine keeps restarting, then stopping again. How many users have a serious problem with the RNS850? Is this a well known problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts