Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone :wave:

When I purchased my Touareg TDI V10, It came with 19' inch tires. I decided to trade for 18' inch tires because you can buy all seasons tires where the tire companies does not provide all seasons tires for 19'.

Since I got 18' inch tires, I was very surprise that my gas mileage have shown much improved.

When I had 19' inch tires, my average of total gas mileage (From full to empty) to get refill is about 345 to 370 miles total (60% highway/40% street).

Since I got 18' inch tires, my total average went increase to 400 to 420 miles total to refill the gas based on 60% highway/40% street. Couldn't image how much more if I use 80 to 100% highway!!

I agree that 20' inch tires looks cool, but if you want to save $$, then go for 18 inch!

Good luck on your decision whether you want "the looks" :drunk: or money saver! :joy: :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Are the overall diameters of both tires the same? You have to be sure that the mileage is recorded acurately. If the 18" tires have a smaller diameter, they will record higher mileage but you won't actually be travelling farther.

Were both sets of tires inflated the same?

Overall, if the tire is more narrow, then you will get better fuel mileage because there is less rolling resistance. If you overinflate your tires, you will also get better mileage.

Also, are you sure the motor isn't just getting broken in more?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spockcat is there a way with VAG to adjust for smaller diameter tires than what the factory provided? I bought some studded snows and they are about 1" smaller and work fine other than inaccurate indicated speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have checked it with a GPS and it is about 15% off. (It seems silly to have to check with a hand held GPS when the built in one could display actual, and probably pretty accurate, ground speed. So many silly and childish mistakes in this car.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.