Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had my car for about a month now and really enjoy it.
There was one issue that just annoyed me when I drove it and the roads weren’t completely smooth I would get this vibration/rattle near the interior centre roof light.
I told the dealer and had them look at it explaining when it happens and where it comes from.
They had a look and reported the following: “roadtested and found slight rattle, removed light,insulated using insulating tape, refitted all ok. Also found a slight noise coming from ski racks while driving.”
Let me just say even though ski rack can add wind noise they don’t rattle.
Since getting it back the noise is still there.
Time for me to have a look.
10 minutes pulling out the centre light and it’s very obvious what is rattling.
I got rid of the rattle and installed it back in.
Problem solved.
By the way I didn’t see tape anywhere so don’t trust the dealer anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha.
Also these loose items are actually the microphones so when they vibrate you most likely hear it in the other end of a phone call.

·
Registered
MY18 (P7) - Black V6 TDI Touareg
124 Posts
Would be nice if dealers all took on the process I discovered when I had my wife’s Subaru serviced; they videoed the car inspection and service then made that available on their site for me to view before I picked the car up. No explaining needed 100% trust received from me. (Never seen that done anywhere else)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that’s amazing service.
I’m imaging the 2nd year apprentice poking around my car and and not achieving much.

·
Registered
863 Posts
This is not a name and shame so I won’t mention the dealer.
You're right. When the service department is told specifically what the problem is (noise/rattle/etc) then don't expect them to dig deeply into it. When hunting a noise, I always remove EVERYTHING that's not part of the original Touareg build (umbrella, bags, bottles, console junk, spare keys, so much stuff, glove box.
Even all my stuff in the trunk (boot) area, I check the spare tire hold down, I look for stray anything. Only then do I start hunting for the squeak/rattle. I had a few when my T was new. The dealership tried, but not really hard. I had to find out the dash made slight contact with the right door speaker paneling. I put some wool felt faced tape right there, has never made a peep in 7 years now. Same color as dash too, so it's not easy to see my fix.

Worse, when the car was DELIVERED brand new, I had opened the engine hood, and when I lifted it, there was distinct rattle of something rolling around inside the hood!!! The salesman heard it too. Lift/Close and something was rattling. The service department found acorn shells inside the hood???......I never saw them myself, just gotta trust that was what it was. It never made a sound after that.

Sometimes the dealer gets it right and sometime not. Be persistent, especially while under warranty! Don't let anything slide.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Still yet to have my 1st VW service experience, hoping that all goes well...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You're right. When the service department is told specifically what the problem is (noise/rattle/etc) then don't expect them to dig deeply into it. When hunting a noise, I always remove EVERYTHING that's not part of the original Touareg build (umbrella, bags, bottles, console junk, spare keys, so much stuff, glove box.
Even all my stuff in the trunk (boot) area, I check the spare tire hold down, I look for stray anything. Only then do I start hunting for the squeak/rattle. I had a few when my T was new. The dealership tried, but not really hard. I had to find out the dash made slight contact with the right door speaker paneling. I put some wool felt faced tape right there, has never made a peep in 7 years now. Same color as dash too, so it's not easy to see my fix.

Worse, when the car was DELIVERED brand new, I had opened the engine hood, and when I lifted it, there was distinct rattle of something rolling around inside the hood!!! The salesman heard it too. Lift/Close and something was rattling. The service department found acorn shells inside the hood???......I never saw them myself, just gotta trust that was what it was. It never made a sound after that.

Sometimes the dealer gets it right and sometime not. Be persistent, especially while under warranty! Don't let anything slide.
Wow yours had more than mine.

Yeah I did drive it without anything in it or roof racks etc.
I knew it was in that section because when I drove and it rattled if I push hard upwards it would stop.

I totally understand it’s hard to find rattles.
The disappointment is saying they did something and put tape on it. When there’s no tape anywhere.
They’d be better of saying they found nothing and did nothing.
Rattles and vibrations I’m sure can be very hard to find and fix in a lot of cases.
Mine wasn’t it was a 15 minute fix.
The main reason in putting it on here is that if every car in the same model has the microphines mounted that way then there will be more people with this rattle and they can find and fix it easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2019 touareg has a very slight rattle around the drivers corner window near the side mirror... not game to open it but when i have time ill have the dealer look at it.

Havent had any rattles anywhere else.

I also fitted a towbar and the hitch has a fair bit of movement and thuds every now and then depending on the car movement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
adgn Your tow hitch are you referring to the neck being loose? There is normally a bolt and lock nut below the hitch which can be tightened to prevent rattles.
Alternately remove the neck with tow ball and stow with the spare wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The factory kit doesnt have a bolt system to keep it from moving.

Im also reluctant to remove it as i want it to protect me somewhat from a rear ender.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh!
My tow bar is definitely factory unit and does have the bolt, of course maybe we have different model Touaregs?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This is the 7L OEM locking anti rattle bolt supplied with the towbar, works brilliantly........not supplied any longer?
If not you should be able to purchase it somewhere.

TonyB

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts