Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As a '12 TDI owner I've been searching and reading on various ways to achieve a small lift on my TDI coupled with possibly 32" tires. I've netted no results on a method to lift the vehicle since we can't use the airbag lifter kits.

On my, since lease returned, '06 V8 I had 31.60's, 265-70-17 terra grapplers and loved it. The '06 had air however those tires cleared, diameter wise, just fine in all ride heights.

My hope is for a 1.5"-2" lift with a spacer and I was looking for interest and possible avenues to get this done.

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
365 Posts
For steel spring cars, there is mild lift kit available for T2 from Seikel but I don't know does that fit to T3.

SEIKEL VW Touareg: VW Auto Seikel GmbH

I pulled off my rear tire to see if I could add 1" spacer to top of strut and it might work. This would keep the suspension travel same but requires testing how steep is the drive axle angle with extended suspension (when shock is all the way out and wheel is on air).

Adding the spacer to spring would keep the OEM wheel sweep but reduces the shock stroke.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I hope something comes out for out model touareg. I emails Seikel and they say they don't have a kit for us at the moment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I very much want to lift my '12 by 1 to 1.5". Seems spacers are the best way to go but will likely wait until a kit is available or someone else claims success and can provide the specifications to have them made.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if anyone's MacGyver'ed this on a T3 yet. But several have made spacers work on earlier model Tregs. Here's one write-up for anyone willing to be a guinea pig...

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/up-up-and-away-spring-spacers-are-in-52562.html
I'd love to see what someone comes up with.

Meanwhile I've read that 1st and 2nd gen touareg owners, I had an 06' v8 with air, center and rear lockers, miss that one..., have benefited from possibly swapping out their shocks for bilstein HD's? Is anyone making a beefier spring to provide some small lift?

as far as adding larger tires but having to remain in the wheel arch what about possibly removing the plastic fender lips for some added room if we needed to push them out with spacers to clear the top joint. It's getting late and I was just thinking about that this second? I'd have to go look and measure. from what I recall the horizontal gaps front and back of the tires in the wheel arches is the limitation before a taller tire at full lock right or left. again I need to go measure but I'm wondering?

·
Super Moderator
9,658 Posts
Your other issue with clearance is gonna be the intercooler vents in the front fender wells also. Largest diameter tire fitted to my TDI is 30.5". I do have air on my 10 though, so a taller tire is not a concern.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 05 with steel springs, I replaced my factory tires (29x10R17) with 255/75R17 BFG mud terrains (32x10R17) last weekend before my trip to rausch creek and have zero rubbing and zero fitment issues. Trick is to keep the factory width and just add height, as the width is what lessens the distance between the sidewalk and frame on steering lock.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Trick is to keep the factory width and just add height, as the width is what lessens the distance between the sidewalk and frame on steering lock.
Hope you meant sidewall and not sidewalk!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts