Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I don't use Firefox but I bet it's complaining about sites that don't use https to encrypt traffic and validate that the site is genuine and not being spoofed.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
All good here. No warnings when I viewed this thru Mozilla.

I do use Chrome as a regular browser. I also purge cookies etc regularly.

Care to provide a screen shot of this 'warning'?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Access via Bing was bringing up the Certificate thingummy a few days ago.

The only insecure thing about this site are the T3 and T4 owners who haven't got a low box in their off road armoury!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahahaha. Nice one Noobs!
TorBrowser has not warned me of anything so I suppose it's good. This is the same group (autoguide) that took over the AlfaBB site that i have been on for a good 10 years or more as well and I have never had issues.

·
Administrator
511 Posts
The gap in security your browser is pointing out is common on most sites, but Google has decided to start highlighting it now. It's telling you that the site is vulnerable to a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle), where someone intercepts what you are typing on the site. Since everything you type here is view-able to all, this has never been a thing it made sense to protect against. As long as you aren't typing your password into a thread in plain text, or your bank info, this doesn't affect you.

All that said, we are going to be upgrade all our network over the coming months to HTTPS to make our pages secure.

- JB

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The gap in security your browser is pointing out is common on most sites, but Google has decided to start highlighting it now. It's telling you that the site is vulnerable to a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle), where someone intercepts what you are typing on the site. Since everything you type here is view-able to all, this has never been a thing it made sense to protect against. As long as you aren't typing your password into a thread in plain text, or your bank info, this doesn't affect you.

All that said, we are going to be upgrade all our network over the coming months to HTTPS to make our pages secure.

- JB
The danger is not so much in someone hacking your account to impersonate you (this could potentially be embarassing, but otherwise generally harmless here), but rather, as you suggest, in intercepting you as you type in your password as you log in. Many people may re-use passwords on other sites that could have far worse implications such as banks or places like Amazon. Hacking a site's password stores is also a problem, but that's usually harder for several reasons. People are generally more aware of threats as they relate to their money and personal information that could be used to get at their money ("this email seems phishy...better not click on that link/attachment..."), but not many people think about sites like these where the consequences are lower, and they don't think about what would happen through "information aggregation" and password re-use.

Despite the fact that passwords are so Y2K, I have two kinds of passwords (way more than two *passwords* however) -

1. the "I don't care if this gets hacked because there's nothing important on this site, but I'm still not going to make it easy on you" strength, and
2. the "you're going to have to use tin snips to cut off my fingers because you'll never guess it or otherwise social engineer it as long as the site and connection are secure" strength.

ClubTouareg and anything that doesn't store personal data or financial info gets the former. I'm also pretty careful never to use my full name publicly (and in some cases real name) on sites like this. I also have email accounts just for these kinds of sites, and yes, I know for a fact that several such sites have had data leaks, because these email addresses do get spammed and phished, and literally the only place I've used them is to register for an account. Banks and suchlike get the stronger passwords, and between them they're never the same password at the same time. More characters, more diversity in characters, and enable two-factor or biometric authentication where available. :nerd:

The key is to ensure that no one can use information gathered by hacking one site be used to get into another site, and through aggregation get enough data about you to steal your identity such that they could rip you off.

If the Illuminati are after your brain waves, however, there's very little you can do to prevent them from getting in - just ensure you have a couple layers of tinfoil and mylar sewn into your hat and clothes, and preferably embedded in between layers of drywall, because who wants to wear a mylar poncho in the house anyway? >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
So complicated. Whereas in reality it is an unscrupulous bank employee, who disclose your personal data to bilk third party. Some banks have low staff retention records. And then your card balance is emptied somewhere across the ocean.

·
Administrator
511 Posts
You guys are correct; so many people use the same passwords across many sites and this is how their data gets so easily compromised. We always strongly recommend that members use a completely different password than what they have on their other accounts, but we have no way to police this and make sure that they do.

~Sheena

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do like the site, and frequent it often, as there is not much else out there that compares for Touareg owners, and yes it's not secure:
-Doesn't use Https.
-Cookies are off the charts - 240-500+ cookies set every refresh, jeez.
-frequent lags, due to cookies?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I do like the site, and frequent it often, as there is not much else out there that compares for Touareg owners, and yes it's not secure:
-Doesn't use Https.
-Cookies are off the charts - 240-500+ cookies set every refresh, jeez.
-frequent lags, due to cookies?
That's got to be 3rd-party cookies...disable those in your browser settings. That's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
67 Posts
good point, ashamed I did not have 3rd party cookies off, grr.

that got me down to double digits, yeah! only 25 cookies, at least so far..

I always delete all cookies after closing browser option, sometimes I even resort to turning them off entirely..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
DieselGator
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing