Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is CT admin policing recently published spam? I've noticed more of this crap recently hijacking the forum as pseudo members. Maybe 'members' from China should have a filter applied for screening? Just asking, no grumbles about site admin.:wave:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Maybe senior members should have their access rights set up to nuke obvious spammers? (or at least move them to a place of quarantine)

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
We receive a relatively low amount of Spam everyday that is usually dispatched by the site moderators and admins every morning as we see them. You may see spam, but it doesn't stay for long. Unfortunately, a large majority of our moderators are located in North America and morning for us is mid day for our European members or evening for Australian members. Much of the spam is also geographically diverse, with several of tonights posts coming from China, Romania, Western Europe etc. Blocking any single area would prove to be futile as these guys constantly figure way around any obstacle we place in their path, even if it means spoofing IP address, using botnet's to doing their bidding, etc. It would also serve to block legitimate traffic. We already use a CAPATCHA and confirmation email system to try to vet some of our new users.

The single best thing that you can do is to REPORT SPAM posts to a moderator using the "Report Post
" button below the spam users header on the left side of each post. This generates an email that goes out to the entire moderator and admin staff requesting our attention. I received no fewer than five reported SPAM posts by a member in the UK this morning. These posts had already been dispatched before I had a chance to sign on.

I'll bring this thread to the attention of our moderators and see if there are other ways that we can be using to better deal with this problem going forward. SPAM is a blight on the internet, but this site is much better than many of the sites that I visit. We want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As aircooled says, [and 'twas I who reported all the spam this morning] this site is pretty good at keeping spam at bay.

I've always taken the view you never post a reply to, or open any links connected with, spam - just simply, as aircooled says, use the warning triangle button and report.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Yes, nooby, sage words, sage advice and thanks for being today's Spam hero!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I like spam . . . fritters!

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
I like spam . . . fritters!
If you see multiple spam posts from the same user ID, please only report one of the posts. Moderators and admins can automatically delete all of a spammer's posts without seeing/reviewing them all. Every time a user reports a post or thread, an email is generated to all mods and admins. So if you report the multiple posts of the same user, you are sending multiple emails to all mods and admins.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No problem.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you see multiple spam posts from the same user ID, please only report one of the posts. Moderators and admins can automatically delete all of a spammer's posts without seeing/reviewing them all. Every time a user reports a post or thread, an email is generated to all mods and admins. So if you report the multiple posts of the same user, you are sending multiple emails to all mods and admins.
Perhaps someone ought to put that explanation on the report a post page as well.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
That is a good idea. I'll take it up with the lead administrator who can make that call.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts