Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are interested in getting the Traffic info from Sirius in Canada on your RNS-850, here's how to do it:

- Wait for your 90 day trial to expire. Once expired, your ESN will be freed from Sirius Canada. Don't waste your time with Sirius Canada, they are useless.
- Go to Welcome to the world of satellite radio - SiriusXM Radio and register for a new account. You will need your radio's ESN, which can be found in the Setup section.
- Make sure to use a valid US address, can even be a PO box (need to be valid as per the USPS). This will only be used to send you junk mail anyway.
- Pick the Traffic service in the service list
- Use a credit card like an Amex that will not be flagged as a Canadian card.

Voila!

The service cost only $3.99US per month and yes it does work in Canada, no matter what the bozos at Sirius Canada say!

It took me no more than 10 minutes and my RNS-850 now shows Traffic info, which is pretty useful. It seems to cover most major cities in Quebec and Ontario. Did not check further but if anyone is interested, I can check if asked.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be for the US only as Sirius Canada is still a mess (not yet merged with XM and unable to find their arse from the ground!) and they don't officially offer the service. In fact, they are totally clueless about it.

What you get is live traffic info on the maps (green/orange/red) for congestion and the Traffic button gets you the closest traffic restrictions (accidents, road closure, etc.)

In the navi mode in the MFD, you also get notification of upcoming traffic slowdown with aprox. distance. Very useful! At least worth the $3.99 per month. Less than a single Latté at Starbucks!

The free service in the US is not costing them too much, less than $200...

·
Registered
32 Posts
It will be for the US only as Sirius Canada is still a mess (not yet merged with XM and unable to find their arse from the ground!) and they don't officially offer the service. In fact, they are totally clueless about it.

What you get is live traffic info on the maps (green/orange/red) for congestion and the Traffic button gets you the closest traffic restrictions (accidents, road closure, etc.)

In the navi mode in the MFD, you also get notification of upcoming traffic slowdown with aprox. distance. Very useful! At least worth the $3.99 per month. Less than a single Latté at Starbucks!

The free service in the US is not costing them too much, less than $200...
Hey Toggle,

How is the traffic service in and outside of Montreal? Will the Nav offer up better options when there is a traffic situation ahead?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey larman2001,

It's pretty good. The only missing major highway is the 15, between the hwy 40 and 20. If you are using the navi, it will warn you of upcoming slowdowns, telling you the distance and if is caused by traffic, an accident or the omnipresent construction site ;-)

To answer your question, yes, if the road is completely blocked, it will re-route automatically and you can always as for an alternate route if there is too much traffic.

There at only an handful of T3s TDIs in Montreal. What color is yours?

Toggle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey larman2001,

It's pretty good. The only missing major highway is the 15, between the hwy 40 and 20. If you are using the navi, it will warn you of upcoming slowdowns, telling you the distance and if is caused by traffic, an accident or the omnipresent construction site ;-)

To answer your question, yes, if the road is completely blocked, it will re-route automatically and you can always as for an alternate route if there is too much traffic.

There at only an handful of T3s TDIs in Montreal. What color is yours?

Toggle
That's a pretty important highway, at least for me :( I'll probably try it in the next few months.

I love that there aren't many around! I was thinking of ordering the Cayenne diesel for September but I prefer the originality of the TDI :) Mine is a black Execline with the brown interior. How about yours?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi larman2001,

Mine is flint grey/black interior, Exec too. I love the TDI! Quite sporty, tons of torque and with the price of gas theses days, it's great. Around my place, diesel is 20 cent cheaper than the super I had to put in the Tiguan. And yep, there are not too many of us around still, so I do still get a few stares. :)

I don't use Decarie much so it's not a problem for me. But it's quite cool to have the nav tell you that there is stop&go traffic ahead in X km, or a closed exit for example.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sirius XM is free to everyone this weekend as a special promotion, including traffic. I have a subscription that does not include traffic, but it was nice to have on my drive to the beach this weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now that I have (temporary) free traffic, is there a feature on the Nav that would avoid traffic issue spots along my destination automatically?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But I don't understand. How could the traffic be working if Sirius Canada doesn't offer traffic? this makes no sense! Lol
Because Sirius Canada is too screwed up? If you have time to waste and want to experience a very bad customer experience, give them a call. First they'll deny the service exist, then tell you to call Sirius XM US, who in turn will send you back to Sirius Canada as their agreement with Sirius Canada tells them that they are not supposed to talk to you. If you insist or raise your voice, they will send you to XM Canada who still operates separately and they will tell you that your head unit is not compatible. Hours of fun!

Same satellites, different companies on each side of the border. Service covers major Canadian cities...

Use a US mailing address and an Amex card, go to the web site and register for the traffic service. You will have to wait for your 90 day trial to be over so that your unit ID is freed from Sirius Canada's grip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does it re-route for any 'red' traffic sitautions, or road block situations only?
Yes. But only in navigation mode. It is quite accurate with the type of issue (blocked road, stop&go traffic, etc) and actual distance from your current position.

If you use the "Traffic" button, it will give you a list starting with issues closest to you.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts