Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Before you read the detailed description below, a brief synopsis here is that I want to install a rear reverse camera onto my Touareg, without using the factory screen ( RCD550 ), but with a second LCD via the Gentex 657 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror.

I have a 2012 VW Touareg FSI – which is serving me quite well. The problem is yesterday I almost ran over a cat that was sleeping behind our car on the drive way. The parking sensors obviously didn’t pick that up – thankfully a passerby did and started screaming and waving at me.
I would hate to have run over a cat / dog – or even worse, a running or playing kid who may not be picked up by the parking pilot!

My car is the SEL trim (In Dubai, Left hand drive, pretty standard to the American Touareg’s) and has every option fitted (Including the panoramic roof), except the RNS850 (With Navigation and the reverse camera). I use my iPhone for navigation, so I’m not too worried about that. My AV system is the RCD550, and since the vehicle is under factory warranty, I do not want to play with the stock system; by installing the video module which allows for multiple video sources. This is the video module - http://car-solutions.com/en/car-video-interface-for-volkswagen-with-rcd-550-system.php

The simplest solution I feel is to install a new auto dimming rear view mirror made by Gentex – Model 657, with a VW / Audi adapter to “snap on” to the existing mount http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Vehicle-Backup-Camera-System-Includes-Gentex-Mirror-wiring-camera-/121317848170#ht_1528wt_1074

My car is fitted with an existing auto dimming mirror, with a cover / trunking mount on the windscreen, to cover any wires going from the roof into the auto dimming mirror. Has anyone removed the auto dimming mirror? I would love to see a guide to remove this (Please note - This is for the powered auto dimming mirror with the trunking and not for the standard rearview mirror, without the trunking). Also can I use the existing power going into the old mirror to power my new rear view mirror? Any suggestions would be much appreciated here.

Finally I am going to get a camera for the boot handle / tail gate handle as seen here - http://www.carnaviplayer.com/tailgate-handle-backup-camera-for-vw-touareg-tiguan-passat-p-840
My questions are, with the panoramic trim, how hard is it to wire the rear boot camera, to the rear view mirror with LCD, all the way up in the front of the vehicle? As an alternative solution, I could also use a wireless video kit to link the camera to the LCD mirror, as seen here - http://www.carnaviplayer.com/wireless-transmitter-and-receiver-for-backup-camera-p-843

I really guess my main concern is how easy is it to remove an existing auto dimming mirror, and can I use its power source to juice up my new LCD mirror and wireless camera receiver.

Hope that other members, who are looking for a simple reverse camera solution, can use this too, without playing with the stock hardware AV system. The total cost of hardware for this project should be under $390 (Making it quite cost efficient as well).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need the mirror to have constant power - not only with the reverse light, so that the Auto Dim feature will work. The camera can be powered by the reverse light only.

Thanks - Can I get some help with removing the factory fitted auto dimming rearview mirror - as it is my biggest challenge right now.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Beware the CAN bus system uses a 100 Hz square wave overlay on the 12 volt line to each light bulb to detect failed lamps. If your Treg has bulbs and not leds, you will experience issues trying to run a reversing camera of the reverse lamp 12 volt. At the very least you will need to use a relay and have the reversing lamp 12v switch direct battery power. Another option is to wire up a filter using diodes and caps to block the 100 Hz signal. If you don't your camera will give you an experience second to none, or even none at all.

Stuart..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the detailed response Stuart...

Anyone else have any suggestions or help with regards to removing the existing auto dimming mirror?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you're worried about voiding your warranty then you'd be better off going with the factory reverse camera and module (which by the way plugs right into your RCD 550) rather than splicing and dicing your wires to fit a Gentex mirror.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're worried about voiding your warranty then you'd be better off going with the factory reverse camera and module (which by the way plugs right into your RCD 550) rather than splicing and dicing your wires to fit a Gentex mirror.
Thanks T-Reguan - Can you recommend the part number for the Reverse camera module? I will probably still have to slice and dice the wires for the rear camera right?
I would love to see an installation of the RDC550 Module, if anyone has done it, and the degree of difficulty please?
So far all I can find is this - http://car-solutions.com/nfs/produc...for_video_interface_for_Volkswagen_RCD550.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Battlecat,
I have the same setup as yours and I'm interested in doing the same with minimum mods to existing cables and panels. I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if you have found a way to install the rear view camera. Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts