Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From admittedly an electronically simple mind. How do you watch a DVD w/o the unit turning off every 15 minutes? Do I have to leave the ignition on the entire time the DVD runs or is there a common sense way to allow this that VW does not tell us about? Did a search and came up with nothing.

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
It is turning off since the system sees it as a draw on the battery and shuts it off. I would think you would need to leave the car running as for it not to turn off.

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was afraid of. Kind of a useless device really. Can't be on while vehicle is in motion, can't be on while parked without either motor running or ignition turned on (talk about a draw). On a road trip or just light camping you cannot watch a movie when stopped for the day. I don't think it will operate if the motor is running or will it if the vehicle is not in gear?

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also noticed I have no access to DVD Settings in the Media Menu. It is not highlighted and tapping does not activate it. Happens whether running or ignition is on or off. Scrolled through all menu items and could not find anywhere to activate or deactivate these settings. I would like to avoid "reset" to factory defaults on the media and media hard drive if I didn't have to. Any input or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
Won't run while driving do to it is not legal for it to do such. They don't want the driver watching the movie while driving. Should work fine with the motor running and vehicle in park. It is working as designed.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts
I also noticed I have no access to DVD Settings in the Media Menu. It is not highlighted and tapping does not activate it. Happens whether running or ignition is on or off. Scrolled through all menu items and could not find anywhere to activate or deactivate these settings. I would like to avoid "reset" to factory defaults on the media and media hard drive if I didn't have to. Any input or suggestions?
DVD media is usually able to be played after editing the settings in the media module via VCDS Cable (Ross-Tech) have been re-coded.

There are some details in this thread which may be of assistance firmware upgrade

As Yeti indicated, to do the change, is your responsibility and you need to be aware of the consequences of any law breaches in using the unit in this way while in control of a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input but I must admit, its a poorly thought out solution to watch a DVD. In other words, you have to stay parked, with motor running at times up to and over two hours if you want to watch a movie. What a waste. I'd rather have auto fold mirrors as standard than a 15 minute interval DVD player unless the motor is running. I certainly understand no watching while vehicle is in motion. I'll check settings via vag-com.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The auto-shutoff delay can be changed in the green menu, but I believe it has a max of 30 minutes. I'm fairly sure it can also be done with VCDS or ODBeleven. The starters on these trucks are very power hungry, so they're pretty aggressive in preventing the battery from being run down.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Why don't you just turn the ignition on without starting the car? That should work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts