Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So even after reading the posts about SIM Cards here, I am still a bit confused as to how the Sim Card works in the 2012 TDI - RNS850. What kind of Sim Card do I buy? A telephone one with data? Does that then give my car a different phone number and allow Google the traffic updates etc?
Thank you!

·
Learner
4,700 Posts
useless

You can get a sim from any telco. all you need is a sim with a data plan. but before you go and get one what you should know is the damn thing is pretty useless.
Unless you want to lose the BT connection to your phone and are happy using the SIM and its phone/data plan for calls you will find this feature is one of the most useless VW came up with.
The SIM is supposed to provide the nav unit data for maps, etc - the online stuff doesn't work anyway. and as soon as you insert a sim there the system disconnects your phone and will only use the SIM for data and calls. :crying:

So even after reading the posts about SIM Cards here, I am still a bit confused as to how the Sim Card works in the 2012 TDI - RNS850. What kind of Sim Card do I buy? A telephone one with data? Does that then give my car a different phone number and allow Google the traffic updates etc?
Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get a sim from any telco. all you need is a sim with a data plan. but before you go and get one what you should know is the damn thing is pretty useless.
Unless you want to lose the BT connection to your phone and are happy using the SIM and its phone/data plan for calls you will find this feature is one of the most useless VW came up with.
The SIM is supposed to provide the nav unit data for maps, etc - the online stuff doesn't work anyway. and as soon as you insert a sim there the system disconnects your phone and will only use the SIM for data and calls. :crying:
Oh God! What a pain! Okay - I wont be doing that! Thank you

·
Learner
4,700 Posts
Oh God! What a pain! Okay - I wont be doing that! Thank you
Btw Vinniv reminded me- you can use an rsap enabled phone instead of using the sim option.
Rsap phone, if you find or have one will give the 850 data access and bt will work.
Data connection can be buggy though.
Now only if vw fixed this like audi have

·
Registered
1 Posts
built in sim card and telstra

telstra has just turned of the g2 [ gsm ] net work 1 DEC 2016 so the 7p 2013 inbuilt phone is useless it will not connect to the new TELSTRA net work EVEN WITH A NEW SIM CARD . its a VW hardware fault. IT CAN NOT handle the new network.Optuus is going the same way in 4 MONTHS.

·
Learner
4,700 Posts
telstra has just turned of the g2 [ gsm ] net work 1 DEC 2016 so the 7p 2013 inbuilt phone is useless it will not connect to the new TELSTRA net work EVEN WITH A NEW SIM CARD . its a VW hardware fault. IT CAN NOT handle the new network.Optuus is going the same way in 4 MONTHS.
Didn't know that. Mine has a 3g unit and a telstra or Optus sim works fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Singh,

I appear to also have the 2G version even though my Treg is a 2013 built MY14. Major Bummer!

I bought it last October and RSAP worked fine with my Telstra service... then sometime earlier this year I realised that my phone was working in HF mode.

Now when I pair with RSAP... I get full connectivity... but "No Network" signal.

Interestingly, the manual states:

"The Premium provision for mobile telephone described in this manual is approved for use in the following networks: GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900, UTMS 2100.

Together with a compatible mobile telephone paired via Bluetooth rSAP, the PREMIUM provision for mobile telephone forms a fully-fledged GSM/UTMS car telephone system."

This implies it's a 3G unit as UTMS is 3G-only technology...

However, GSM 850 could be either 3G or 2G, and Telstra has re-purposed their UTMS 2100 to use for 4G.. and that would explain why I get no Telstra signal, but can see Optus and Vodafone which show up as "forbidden".

Unlikely to get anywhere under warranty, so only option would be to buy a later 3G unit.

Any idea what the part number is for your unit?

I'm assuming it's the unit in the glove box... is that correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update...

On the Optus coverage page I got the following message:

"Optus will be shutting down the 2G network in WA and NT on 3rd April, with the rest of Australia following on 1st August. From these dates the Harman/Becker Audi MMI3G device will no longer work on the Optus mobile network."

So no point in buying an Optus SIM - the 2100 band is limited to parts of major metro areas.

Still beats me why a predominantly 2G device is called MMI3G ?????

Anyone interested in a False advertising class action?

·
Learner
4,700 Posts
Hi mate, with ever changing telco data network its hard for auto manufacturers to provide hardware for long term use. Thats my opinion, and perhaps the best way to provide vehicle with a data connection is via rsap tech but for that you need to have an rsap phone all the time.
Cars like Tesla have a data connection all the time so you can remotely interact with your car, wonder what they will do to a 10yr old Tesla to keep its data connection going when we have 10g :)
Anyway seems like in your case you would have to get a 3g unit
I will check and provide scan details of the unit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts