Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was sliding in the snow today and I smelled a foul smell coming from my car almost like the smell of burning clutch I stopped the sliding and drove it normally back home and when shifting from 3 to 4 right before shifting from third to 4 gear the rpm's spike real quick and then go back down as it shifts to 4th another noticeable problem on the way home was it felt slower then normal accelerating (not consistent just at times) is this possibly the tell tale signs of a bad tranny? Ps I let it cool down for a couple hours and then took it for a drive and everything seemed ok I wasn't having the same problems as I was after driving it hard in the snow anybody have any possible ideas as to why it was acting this way

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hi, i hope you had ESP off, you have to Drive it and see if there are any irregularities that are not caused by frustration, As from the beginning it can seem very wrong and then everything normal again. :) kind regards, Nikoloz

·
Registered
397 Posts
signs of a bad tranny..

- wears a dress that doesn't fit quite right....
- has a 3 day beard growth..
- has a REALLY big adams apple...

chuckle...

·
Registered
77 Posts
sounds like the stability control was probably working overtime, if you were driving "hard" in snow. the smell was most likely coming from the brakes, they are employed by traction/stability control.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, i hope you had ESP off, you have to Drive it and see if there are any irregularities that are not caused by frustration, As from the beginning it can seem very wrong and then everything normal again. :) kind regards, Nikoloz
I had the esp off while sliding in the snow and when I went to drive it this morning the shift from 2 to 3 the rpm jump up and then it shifts this indicates tranny issues to me from past experience with other cars but the tregs tranny is a lot more complicated then my 03 tagged tranny lol could it possibly be a VB issue?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
plus what would be a possible repair cost for a whole new transmission

·
Registered
703 Posts
From everything I've read here about the valve body dying, I don't remember slipping clutch like symptoms. The issues are clunking between upshifts and downshifts abruptly (seems like 2-1 and 4-5).

While it probably won't do anything have you given the reset a try?

Turn on the ignition but don't fully start the car
Push and hold gas pedal all the way down for 10 seconds and release
Turn the ignition off

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From everything I've read here about the valve body dying, I don't remember slipping clutch like symptoms. The issues are clunking between upshifts and downshifts abruptly (seems like 2-1 and 4-5). While it probably won't do anything have you given the reset a try? Turn on the ignition but don't fully start the car Push and hold gas pedal all the way down for 10 seconds and release Turn the ignition off
yes I have done the transmission reset and had no luck with the symptoms getting better. I think I'm looking at a transmission rebuild here. Any ideas on pricing of a tranny rebuild?

·
Registered
703 Posts
yes I have done the transmission reset and had no luck with the symptoms getting better. I think I'm looking at a transmission rebuild here. Any ideas on pricing of a tranny rebuild?

No idea, it might be easier to source a used one from a wrecked car. (Just a thought) I know looking at parts on Ebay they're plentiful, heck there could be one at a wrecker down the street from you!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No idea, it might be easier to source a used one from a wrecked car. (Just a thought) I know looking at parts on Ebay they're plentiful, heck there could be one at a wrecker down the street from you!
may be getting rid of it I just spent 1200$ on tires it needs a new timing belt that's another 1200$ it needs new brakes 300-500$ and now the transmission problems its sucking me dry as a high school student...lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Could you really smell something going on inside a sealed transmission? The smell seems brake related from EDL (if your ESP was off EDL was very active which also uses brakes). Also your auto differential would be working overtime. There are other components I would also think over before jumping on a bad transmission.

I am imagine your transmission fluid is fresh and of the correct specification?

·
Registered
786 Posts
sounds like the stability control was probably working overtime, if you were driving "hard" in snow. the smell was most likely coming from the brakes, they are employed by traction/stability control.
I'll second what he says about the brakes. I think the smell was the brakes. You said you were driving it hard - I assume that means you were on the brakes at times too.

A bad torque converter would exhibit itself by slipping - or revving without engaging. But that is also a symptom of a bad valve chest - which is far more common. I'd assume the valve chest (since it's a known issue) before the TC. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts