Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched for mirror. No luck.

Both mirrors barely move with the control. When I pull the mirror the assy is very stiff. Feels like it's the motors or the gears, not the socket. Any advise on lubricating those to let them move?

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
White lithium grease?? I'd try greasing the metal "ears" behind the mirror first. Does the motor move easily with the mirror detached? If so, the ears need the grease.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor does not move with mirror removed. I have to help it. Needs disassembly to lube it seems.

White lithium grease?? I'd try greasing the metal "ears" behind the mirror first. Does the motor move easily with the mirror detached? If so, the ears need the grease.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
The motors on the 08's seem to be a problem area. I had an issue with mine and after many attempts to locate the problem I just replaced both motors. In hind sight I would have done that first as the time spent was far more than the cost of the replacement parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do this today. Thank you for the heads up. This will save time and effort. I appreciate the heads up.

Tim

The motors on the 08's seem to be a problem area. I had an issue with mine and after many attempts to locate the problem I just replaced both motors. In hind sight I would have done that first as the time spent was far more than the cost of the replacement parts.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you can move the motor arms manually, the gear mechanism has broken. There are two slip rings inside the motor housing. I "welded" them together with my soldering iron set at 550F. Caution: VERY noxious fumes!!!

Or you can replace the motors. Last I looked, around $80-$90 USD on eBay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet. VW quoted me $485 each for the motors. Nuts.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
That's not right...I have memory mirrors and that was more expensive and they were $115.00 each from my dealer parts department . The other style was about $90.00. That was a few weeks ago and online pricing will be less.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I bought one at the Stealership for $160 before I saw the bay ones. That's when I got motivated to repair the broken ones! LOL! I did put the new replacement in the passenger side, as it dips in reverse and thus gets more usage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strong VW in SLC. Verified twice. Must be quoting me a entire mirror with cover. I asked for motor only. I'll just go eBay since that's the service I got. Thanks for the reply.

That's not right...I have memory mirrors and that was more expensive and they were $115.00 each from my dealer parts department . The other style was about $90.00. That was a few weeks ago and online pricing will be less.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
7L6-959-577 $74.88 w/o memory mirrors
7L6-959-577A $102.24 with memory mirrors

Same part left and right side

Found on line at:
Vwpartsvortex.com

Not a recommendation, just source of part numbers and price.

I paid about $10.00 more locally but they are very good so it's worth the few dollars more to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts