Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has never happened before. I was turning into a parking spot, and there was a slight shuddering when I pulled in. Never made it before.

Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Info about your vehicle would be helpful - Year, Mileage, Engine, etc... I believe the most likely culprit would be the stepper motor on the Transfer Case. I changed mine out a few months ago and haven't had an issue with it since.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It engages and dis-engages the clutch pack in your transfer case. If the motor doesn't operate correctly, the clutches can be engaged when they're not supposed to be, such as when turning in a tight radius, and cause the wheel scrub (shuddering) that you are describing.

The other cause is not having equally sized tires on all 4 wheels. If you replaced only 1 tire recently and the others have >10,000 miles on them, that could also cause the problem.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't get it to do it again. From the other posts, it looks like there was a recall on it?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, then. Every now and then, shift into low range and lock and unlock the center differential every now and then. That will keep the motor in good working order and prevent it from "freezing up" due to lake of use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I couldn't get it to do it again. From the other posts, it looks like there was a recall on it?

If there's a recall on it, you might as well take it in to have them look at it. Better to do that now, instead of waiting until it fails.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Google [take out the spaces in the site address]

site: www. club touareg .com stepper motor

Have you read this thoroughly . . .

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums
Yes, you quote it on almost every new person. Problem is, 2/3s of the links to posts are dead.
I also Googled stepper motor and came across "the dreaded shudder" which wasn't really any help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you quote it on almost every new person. Problem is, 2/3s of the links to posts are dead.
Really?

I've just tried at least two dozen of the links at random and, with the exception of the very few taken from www.fool.com, they all open just fine.
I've counted about 7 links that are dead so far. I'm also on my phone, which may have something to do with it. I also skipped anything not related to the T1 reg.

But I did about 98% of the checklist when I purchased it. It was helpful.

And I will go to the stealership to see what services have been done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Might check your power steering level. I have a 2012 tdi and it had a slight shutter when turning at a low speed when pulling out of my driveway. Noticed the fluid was low so topped it off and it's been fine ever since. Hope that helps

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to the local dealership. They couldn't bring up any service records because it wasn't serviced in that state. So that was a failure. All i got was warranty information and recalls.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Did you ask for the build sheets whilst there?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts