Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Touareg LUX TDI. I have 22" wheels on the vehicle. I don't believe this issue is with the wheels/tires as I have recently swapped them out. I get a shudder/vibration when making turns (mostly right turns) at slow speed. It has started to happen more frequently, so I fear whatever problem I am having is getting worse.

I know there are other threads out there that talk about the stepper motor, but some of them say that the stepper motor doesn't exist on my generation Touareg. Any input as to what may be the problem is appreciated.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Milage? Have the front end looked at by a mechanic... could be wheel bearing, drive axle joint, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
76,000 miles. I haven't had it aligned in the 7 months I have owned it. It doesn't pull left or right, but I will get it aligned if anyone thinks that would help.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Where did I suggest an alignment?

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Did you check the power steering fluid level? Problems with differentials can also cause the wheels to start skipping (because unable to turn at the appropriate rate), which might result in shudder of the steering wheel at the front.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I know this is going to sound stupid but is it the same type of vibration from the wheel when you leave a lane without signaling? My step dad seems to think he’s in a F1 car whenever he drives my T3 and cuts through the painted lines on the road on the turns... it only happens when he drives and never when I drive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also had shuddering on my 2014 TDI Exec's steering wheel when turning. It was low power steering fluid. The system developed a leak (verified when it was also low during the maintenance check the following year). It initially only happened when I had the steering wheel turned to max rotation (either direction), but gradually began to happen with less and less rotation (as the system lost fluid). The shop advised me I should've brought it in sooner, as the shuddering is caused by the hydraulic valves jerking because of the pressure drop as air bubbles work their way through. They can be damaged if you let it go on too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is way old but wanted to relate my fix to the same slow speed turn related shudder (especially right turns) in my 2012 T3 TDI with 80,000 miles.
I checked all the usual suspects, CV Joints, odd tire wear, Tie rod ends, etc. but no obvious issues. then I thought it may be the transfer case and read some threads on Cayennes that were remedied by simply replacing the used fluid in the transfer case with fresh. Tried this with the Treg but it did not solve the problem. Finally, I decided to change the differential fluids and VIOLA shudder is gone! I used Amsoil 75W-90 Long Life Gear Lube. Don't know if Amsoil was the magic bullet or not but...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts