Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. We recently bought a 2013 Touareg Lux with 52,000 miles. We are loving it so far! We have owned many VWs and Audis over the last 15 years, and traded a 2009 VW CC 6 speed sport for the Touareg. We purchased the Touareg with a 5 year 100,000 mile extended warranty covering about everything but brakes and oil, which can be cancelled within 30 days. What are people's experience with maintenance on these? The warranty was over $3,000, and I am trying to decide if it is worth it. I do much of my own work, including timing belts, brakes, etc. That said, one big failure can add up to lots of dollars. I understand that one can't predict the future and warranties are a crap shoot, but I am curious of others experience.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hello. We recently bought a 2013 Touareg Lux with 52,000 miles. We are loving it so far! We have owned many VWs and Audis over the last 15 years, and traded a 2009 VW CC 6 speed sport for the Touareg. We purchased the Touareg with a 5 year 100,000 mile extended warranty covering about everything but brakes and oil, which can be cancelled within 30 days. What are people's experience with maintenance on these? The warranty was over $3,000, and I am trying to decide if it is worth it. I do much of my own work, including timing belts, brakes, etc. That said, one big failure can add up to lots of dollars. I understand that one can't predict the future and warranties are a crap shoot, but I am curious of others experience.

Thanks,
Kevin
The question has been asked many times over the years with folk for and against warranties.

You'll always get the ones who think they were not treated right by their warranty company, those who distrust insurers full stop, those who say put a thousand or two away each year to self insure and those who, like me, won't run a Touareg without a warranty and have been very pleased we took that view!

It's each to their own way of thinking about risk management.

You are buying a used car with no knowledge of how the previous owner treated it.

If the HPFP lets go [and it is probably the biggest known failure on a number of the Tdis], you could well be looking at a bill of up to $16,000 and, yes, you read that right.

Axles can set you back up to $5K, the gearbox up to $8K and the engine $10K. Such failures are rare and if your bank balance can stand the hit, fine, but if you want a degree of comfort for the cost of an espresso a day, get a good warranty, read the terms carefully so you know what is covered and what is not [and renegotiate if needed!], service the car on time, put decent quality fuel in it, and, above all, enjoy it

·
Registered
746 Posts
The extended warranty is a good idea. You should know exactly how long you intend to keep it. There are a few well know failures.

Adblue system.. Random, and expensive, more so if the dealer fixes it, it can run over a $1000 easily. Mine failed once during warranty (level sensor), and once outside warranty (tank heater, covered under extended warranty $100 deductible. Over $400 for parts, the total would have been around $700 out of pocket)

High Pressure Fuel Pump... Not many failures from 2013 and beyond that I have read about. I think almost all he failures have been pre-2013. BUT it is VERY expensive to have repaired as it takes out the entire fuel supply system. $10000 is typical of what I've read about for cost of dealership repair. I ahve had NO issues with that part of my 2013. I also have the extended warranty just in case.

I read about any failures of the center bearing shaft failure for the "T3" design. Did they redesign to make it bore durable? Extended warranty anyway.

The powertrain on a US model 2103 should have a 10/100 warranty on powertrain. It doesn't cover turbo, or emissions equipment, or Adblue system (?) which VW doesn't consider part of the emissions system.

And of course, if you had one infotainment failure, it would cost a fortune for a replacement head unit or amplifier system from the dealer. Everything is electronically connected and one small electronic failure can cost a lot. Extended warranty.

I did a LOT of reading before deciding on the Touareg TDI. I had all the info I could obtain and decided that the risks of reliability problems were outweighed by the benefit of it's fuel economy, towing capability, and driving characteristics. It had more gadgets that I require in my vehicle. There were only a few options for a diesel SUV available at that time and it had the best price vs feature ration. I used that to make my decision on the extended warranty as well. Mine only cost $2300 but I bought it before the Touareg turned 10K on the odometer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My extended warranty just ran out and the cost to extend it another 4 years is just shy of $4,000 (CNA), fidelity was even higher. It's the mileage that is really the limit, so for me I would get about 2.5 years. Not worth it for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts