Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas,

I need some honest advice in regards to whether I should keep my 2013 Treg V6 Executive (gas, in the U.S., with 76K miles) or sell it. I just spent over $1,000 to replace all 4 rotors and brake pads plus 1 bad tire pressure monitoring sensor. Now the front wheels make cracking noise when I back off the car. Also, the steering wheel shakes frequently when I drive on the high way. I did the alignment less than a year ago so I'm guessing it's the wheel bearings.

A reputable body shop looked at my car and said they would charge $150 for diagnosis as they think there might be issues with wheel bearings and suspension. The total repair cost would be over $2,000 if those issues are found.

I'm planning to drive my Treg across from California to upstate New York for grad school pretty soon in early July so I'm very concerned for safety. I'm not sure if I should sell it now vs. make all the repairs, as I'd have to invest in another car right after graduation if I were to sell it now. I'm also worried if more problems would be occurred during school time (will be paying hefty tuition without any income).. What a dilemma, do you guys think I should do the diagnosis?

Any input would be appreciated. :grin2:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The 'crackling noise' COULD be caused by loose or improperly torqued lug bolts allowing the wheels to actually shift on the hubs. Loose wheels would also be a primary cause of steering shake. If retorquing the wheel bolts doesn't fix the problem the next step would be to re-do wheel balance (all 4 wheels).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts