Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

New here, We have VW's for many years now and all have been great cars. We are looking to upgrade our Tiguan to a Touareg with the growing family and caravan ( 22ft, 2643kg ).

A couple of questions if you don't mind helping:

Our budget lets us buy the standard Touareg and we want to buy new, which does not have the innovision or air suspension, as in the top of the range.

1) Would you purchase the Touareg as a family car for towing and family trips given the lower specs?
2) How do you find the Touareg for towing?
3) Could you take it on the beach for a day trip if you had the right tyres? ( Leaving the caravan behind at your base?)
4) What fuel usage are you around the city?
5) Do you find the fuel tank big enough?
6) have you put in a dual battery system?

Thank you for helping, any other ideas or views would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg 4motion, deleted, remapped
18 Posts
Hi mate,
1) I’ve got a family of 4, newborn twins, plenty of space to still fit 3 people in the back even with 2 gigantic child seats in there! Definitely big enough for a family

2) towing with a touareg is like nothing else mate. Even the v6 tdi puts an LC200 Sahara to shame!

3) tregs love the beach! These high powered diesels just smash through the soft sand beaches we have here in Australia

4) I live in the cbd of Sydney, treg has an amazing turning circle for a full sized suv, I just drove 1800kms to Melbourne and back, 8L/100km in the city that number struggles to rise above 11L/100km.

5) I get around 1300kms from the 100L tank so it’s plenty

6) I run a my whole 12v touring setup out of the spare wheel well all off a 200AH renogy lithiumim.

If I can be honest, run a mile from anything base model. The new 2020 touareg will depreciate real quickly. A 2017-2019 Will cost half as much, be just as good, and you could even upgrade to the 4.2 v8 tdi and you will still be 40 grand better off the newer model. Who knows you might even get some options, ie, dynaudio, sunroof, air suspension (which is a must in my book)

😉 have a look around at a few before you rock up at the stealership haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aaron for taking the time to give feedback mate, it's all new and exciting, but don't want to get caught up in the hype.

I had looked at getting a Prado or a Sahara, but like VW too much and want some comfort and power.

Sounds like we are in the same family, kids, beach driving/camping and long distances.. you are getting good rang out of the car given its size and power.

Very interesting in seeing a picture of the 200AH energy lithiumim setup if possible.

Thanks for the feedback on the base model, I was also wondering if it was worth getting given its base and the depreciation on these cars hits hard. I really want something in warranty if possible and the 5 years appeals to me, but missing the air suspension is swaying me off buying the car.

I will check out car sales and see what's happening around the country, thanks again, buddy...

·
Registered
18 Posts
No worries mate, I’m launching a range of touareg accessory products and services, so currently arent ready to reveal the 12v setup but should be soon! The spare wheel well is filled with a 22L water/methanol tank, the 200ah lithium and my tools/jack/compressor hoses

Regarding the power, mines fully tuned, pushing around 410hp and 900ish nm at 3400rpm out of the 3.0 v6 tdi so the recent drive to Melbourne was a nice reassurance that the fuel economy stuck around!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New here, We have VW's for many years now and all have been great cars. We are looking to upgrade our Tiguan to a Touareg with the growing family and caravan ( 22ft, 2643kg ).

Our budget lets us buy the standard Touareg and we want to buy new, which does not have the innovision or air suspension, as in the top of the range.

1) Would you purchase the Touareg as a family car for towing and family trips given the lower specs?
3) Could you take it on the beach for a day trip if you had the right tyres? ( Leaving the caravan behind at your base?)

I have had the top of the range Touareg for near 2 years now and tow a 23van with no problems with the air suspension. you will save on having to buy the Haynes hitch for one. If you are buying new. here's a tip, look for the biggest VW dealer in your state. look at the retail price, deduct 22% and make them an offer for that amount on the last day of the month. if your talking to a salesman he will reject your offer at first. tell him to put it to the manager with your phone number. then wait for him to call you later that night asking for your credit card details for a $1000 confirmation. then when he accepts your offer tell him you want a towpack fitted plus 3 years FREE servicing with free roadside assist. I have done this for the last 4 new cars I have bought and always got it. my Tourag retailed for $93k and I got it for $61k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Totally agree with Sailor one, I ended up trading a 2017 Wolfsburg on a new launch addition. Have them my changeover figure and they laughed at me. 2 days later the salesmanager was on the phone asking for$1500 more and they'd do the deal. I said no you have my figure we can either do it or not. 5pn that afternoon they rang and said they'd do the deal provided I gave them a deposit (credit card) that day. Needless to say I'm drive a new car and got a better price for my trade than I coul have gotten selling private or that I'd seen advertised prices on carsales. My car was sold to me as a demonstrator with every other discount they could apply and only had the normal couple of delivery k's on the clock. It's all about the time of the month and as carsales have fallen during covid 19 they'll be busting to sell some vehicles. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi AusCruse. I bought 2015 Treg at Auction which came with 15 month Warranty to replace my 80 series Landcruiser for towing my Van. It is an amazing Car to tow especially with the Air Suspension. Its very comfortable to drive and handles like the Van is not there! I had a good look at the new Treg and I did not really like it and with the price hovering around the 100k mark I decided to look for a second hand which cost me 31k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries mate, I’m launching a range of touareg accessory products and services, so currently arent ready to reveal the 12v setup but should be soon! The spare wheel well is filled with a 22L water/methanol tank, the 200ah lithium and my tools/jack/compressor hoses

Regarding the power, mines fully tuned, pushing around 410hp and 900ish nm at 3400rpm out of the 3.0 v6 tdi so the recent drive to Melbourne was a nice reassurance that the fuel economy stuck around!
Sounds great, I did some research and not much around in quality off-market accessory, very interested to see what you offer, when you go live..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had the top of the range Touareg for near 2 years now and tow a 23van with no problems with the air suspension. you will save on having to buy the Haynes hitch for one. If you are buying new. here's a tip, look for the biggest VW dealer in your state. look at the retail price, deduct 22% and make them an offer for that amount on the last day of the month. if your talking to a salesman he will reject your offer at first. tell him to put it to the manager with your phone number. then wait for him to call you later that night asking for your credit card details for a $1000 confirmation. then when he accepts your offer tell him you want a towpack fitted plus 3 years FREE servicing with free roadside assist. I have done this for the last 4 new cars I have bought and always got it. my Tourag retailed for $93k and I got it for $61k.
Thanks sailor, sorry not replied until now, I have been looking at cars and talking to dealers, they are all keen to discount the bottom of the range to about $75k was the best I could find, but nothing on the top of the range.

I was ready to sign and all said can not move more than $5k off the $100k mark, was disappointing.

I've left my number to see if any call back this week, I still only have the budget for the entry-level and this is what I might have to settle for unless I wait, as none of the dealers/managers wanted to budget on the top range, said too much in demand at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally agree with Sailor one, I ended up trading a 2017 Wolfsburg on a new launch addition. Have them my changeover figure and they laughed at me. 2 days later the salesmanager was on the phone asking for$1500 more and they'd do the deal. I said no you have my figure we can either do it or not. 5pn that afternoon they rang and said they'd do the deal provided I gave them a deposit (credit card) that day. Needless to say I'm drive a new car and got a better price for my trade than I coul have gotten selling private or that I'd seen advertised prices on carsales. My car was sold to me as a demonstrator with every other discount they could apply and only had the normal couple of delivery k's on the clock. It's all about the time of the month and as carsales have fallen during covid 19 they'll be busting to sell some vehicles. Good luck.
This is a nice model... I like the badge on the back !!

I'm going to try the end of this month and see if no one calls me back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds great, I did some research and not much around in quality off-market accessory, very interested to see what you offer, when you go live..
Already live bud!

All the more reason for you to go the 7p route 😂 I’ve got full 12v systems in the works, full length bash plates and antenna mounts too!! All bolt on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi AusCruse. I bought 2015 Treg at Auction which came with 15 month Warranty to replace my 80 series Landcruiser for towing my Van. It is an amazing Car to tow especially with the Air Suspension. Its very comfortable to drive and handles like the Van is not there! I had a good look at the new Treg and I did not really like it and with the price hovering around the 100k mark I decided to look for a second hand which cost me 31k.
Thanks, Kurtie, I might look for an older model that's fully serviced, $31k is a good price with warranty, I will start seeing whats on the market.

I'm not sure they hit the mark with the new models and features, i think they could have done better to capture more of the market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Already live bud!

once I buy a car I will ping you for details !

All the more reason for you to go the 7p route 😂 I’ve got full 12v systems in the works, full length bash plates and antenna mounts too!! All bolt on!
7P its looking like, now researching the used market =:) I hope to be an owner soon !

Do you do much beach driving ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Hi mate I too have purchased this car in mind for towing. Although I got the premium with air suspension. Maybe consider picking up a demo with air.
To answer some questions in the current model.
fuel economy not towing is outstanding. City approx 8.5L/100km. And city 7L/100km (I did a 200km trio where I averaged 5.8L/100km.
The thing you must check is what your tow ball weight is on your caravan as that’s your biggest restriction is with this model. It drops dramatically with passengers in the car. There is heaps of information on this site about it. But if that’s ok then there is no car out there with a 3.5t capacity as quick, smooth and refined as the current treg.
ps I’d ger demo with air suspension over new without if towing is your thing. PM me if your in Sydney and I’ll get u a very good price.

·
Registered
2019 Launch Edition White Sunroof Innovision
234 Posts
7P its looking like, now researching the used market =:) I hope to be an owner soon !

Do you do much beach driving ?
AusCruse. I do lots of Beach driving. Double Island Ppoint, Fraser Island ect. Without doubt teh bigegst advantage of Air suspension is for Beach driving and not needing weight distribution hitch. I have had a 2011 4 X Motion and not long ago upgraded to Launch Edition . Which ever model you choose, get Air Suspension

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Kurtie, I might look for an older model that's fully serviced, $31k is a good price with warranty, I will start seeing whats on the market.

I'm not sure they hit the mark with the new models and features, i think they could have done better to capture more of the market.
Hi AusCruse. Fully agree with you! New Treg did not excite me at all. Before I bought mine I noticed quite a few Tregs in Caravan Parks and liked the look of it so I had a few conversation with the owners and that convinced me to buy one. They are a dream to drive and I checked websites for about 8 months before I saw then one I bought from Alliance Auctions in Sydney. The local VW Dealer who just serviced it said I saved about 10 grand as it came with Sunroof and lots of extras. Worth looking at that option as I noticed prices dropping a fair bit of late. Good luck! You will not be disappointed! K

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Everyone,

i bought a Premium a couple of weeks ago. We also have a Tiguan. You'll find the Touareg very familiar and the adaptive cruise control is fantastic (and essential if you want to avoid speeding fines as it is deceptively fast). It's taking a while to adjust to the width which is wider than my Range Rover HSE.
After our ridiculously hot summer I opted for the standard white with no black lump of glass on the roof (previous cars had sun roofs which I seldom used and were noisy when roof bars for kayaks etc were fitted, not to mention the bees being deflected in and down my neck)
We have a similar sized caravan which we will soon be updating so redarc brake controller (hard decision on where to mount the controller near the light switch or on the console) and two Anderson plugs (one for ESC on new van) The initial fit was a cock up and I'd wished I'd done it myself. All now fixed to a good standard. The battery is under the drivers floor which is perhaps the most ridiculous place to fit one. It seems large enough and we don't intend to fit a second one. I'm not sure where you'd fit that though their may be room next to the spare wheel.
If the budget stretches you really should go for the premium. My previous two cars have had air suspension which is so much better than metal springs and you do not require load levelling bars.
This is the big issue and one you should consider if you will be loading up with a back seat full of ankle biters and their gear.
While the advertised ball weight download is 280kg that is with two passengers. With five it drops to 130kg (and for some reason only 80kg for the 210 kW model) pretty silly for a caravan or trailer up to 3.5 tonnes! These details are on a plate at the bottom of the drivers side B pillar. The only other place I've found this is under the specs on the advertising brochure. I don't seem to be able to download the photo here. So to keep it legal you'll probably need to load the ten cartons of beer in the shower instead of under the bed.
It tows really well, my brother in law has towed their large van on holidays with us with Touaregs and had no problems. A set on Milenco mirrors have been ordered as the mirrors are an odd shape and most towing mirrors won't fit.
The tow bar fitted by VW in Osbourne Park is the correct height for our caravan so no additional parts were needed.
The tank is smaller than I'd have liked but as you probably know the only way to get a bigger one is to upgrade to the Entertainment package.
I decided against the Infotainment Package. The standard set up is fantastic and once mastered you'll love it. The hand book is rather disappointing, such things as what all the fuses are for are not covered. I think VW think we are a bunch of numties who should not be allowed near a spanner.
Fuel usage is very good, currently 6.5 L/100km. So far I've only had test runs to set up our caravan so figures for that remain to be seen.
I think you are making the right choice, they are a very capable car you should be happy with.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice one Cecil! I wonder what one can actually tow with a 210kW Touareg that only has an 80kg ball weight, other than just a box trailer - which doesn't need 900Nm anyway!

Pete.

Reactions: AusCruse
1 - 20 of 40 Posts