Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very interested in buying a new Touareg within the next six months; went for a test drive, talked to the sales person at my local VW dealer, read great reviews in the leading auto magazines, etc. However..........I have since found this website and have been reading of all the problems that many people are having. One of my "must haves" is a navigation system, but after reading the "bugs" reports it seems that the VW version is really lacking. Also, it seems that a lot of the electronics are problematic (e.g. the tire pressure sensors, etc.) If I'm going to pay $45K for a car, I don't expect it to have these kind of issues. There's no excuse for that. Should I consider the Volvo C90 instead?

· Registered
467 Posts
You should absolutly buy a Touareg!!! the problem people are having now are very minor and will be fixed by the time you purchase one. This is the best SUV on the market by far. MOST of the Touareg owners have not had any problems with their vehicle. Trust me, The problems on the website are very minor and The Touareg OWNS the X90 anyday of the week.

· Registered
715 Posts
Hey there Annie -

Here's my take on the situation.

There are several hundred, presumably several thousand, Touaregs on the road today in the US.

The Touareg forums are covered with "problem" posts.

If you are an owner with a problem, you are MUCH more likely to turn to the Internet to seek help. You want to see if your situation is unique. You want to see if its an easy fix you can do yourself as opposed to taking it to the dealer for repair. So, you find all the Touareg-related sites you can find and post about your problem. Low and behold, there are several people same or similar problems.

The other people on these forums are enthusiasts. They, like myself, have had no trouble other than a couple of minor annoyances (truthfully, you cannot and will not find a 100% perfect, to-your-satisfaction product in the world... you will find something wrong... its human nature not to be satisfied, but I digress). You participate on the forums because other folks share the same interest. You try to help those with problems as you feel bad for them and the situation in which they've found themselves. I'll be honest, there's a slight "Thank God that's not me", but then you do what you can to try and help them, because you want them to share the great experience that you've had. [ See, for example, SC T-Reg's threads... He's had a hellish experience, but he is the exception rather than the rule. I know that myself and other members here want to see SC T-Reg keep up hope - Ideally, he'll still end up in a Touareg and be one of us happy folks.]

Overall, count the number of users on this forum - Over two hundred in about a month after its launch. Count the number of people with real issues - 2? 5? 10? In any case, the majority of people here don't have problems. There's a poll somewhere (do a quick search) and you'll find that most people with the Touareg don't have major issues whatsoever.

Now, whether you choose the Touareg or another SUV, that is ultimately your decision. No one here can make that for you. As a damn happy Touareg owner, I must say, I have no regrets at all. I've give the "Touareg Tour" to complete strangers at least 10 times. I've had the Touareg since 12/1. I absolutely love it. It was one of the best decisions I've made.

I noticed from your profile that you are in Southern California. I'm down here, too. I bought the Touareg in Sunnyvale (Bay Area). It was the BEST car buying experience I've ever had, and I've been involved in countless buying situations for the rest of my family. There's probably a local dealership that will give you the same experience, but I don't know of any yet (though I will be looking as my 5k service is coming up in a couple hundred miles).

Also, in the Problems forum, read the 2-page-long thread about navigation problems. Read the last few posts. Those are people with Nav that absolutely love it.

Anyhow, this post became a lot more lengthy than I expected it to be.

Good luck with your decision - If you have any other questions, we are here to help. We'd love to see another Touareg owner (as well as active Club Touareg member!).

Please keep us posted!

-Mike

· Registered
238 Posts
on the internet you hear mostly the people that are having trouble.

in my mind this is the best buy you will ever get to that money. even better than cayenne. if you look in holland the errors rating is more than on the touareg.

· Registered
93 Posts
Annie,

You'll learn on this forum that Mike is usually very informative. This time he was absolutely eloquent! Couldn't have laid it out better.

The truth is, this is the first time I can remember actually ENJOYING a car/truck so much. My wife even admitted that a lot of the "guy toys" are really useful!! :wink:

For my money, reread Mike and join the crowd!! You'll love it!!

Vinny

· Registered
113 Posts
Annie, please don't let what you have seen here that is negative be the sole persuader. Keep in mind that VW spent years after other manufacturers released theirs to continue to develop this vehicle. The suspension/ off road capabilities are wonderous, it is a pleasure to own and drive.

As with any new vehicle, in the first year of production there will be some glitches. Heck, it took Dodge two generations of the new ram pick up to get the brakes right. What some have experienced should be expected.

Other than SC-Treg, all of the gripes I have seen are minor, and on optional equipment. With the feedback VW has been getting, the Nav system may be satisfactory to most by the time you purchase yours. ( notice the persuasive positive tone there!)

Also, remember those that post here didn't buy these to run back and forth to work or to pick the kids up. We bought them because they are the leading vehicle in their class, put together with classic German engineering and design. Pure pleasure.

You see written here the words and experiences of enthusiasts, gearheads and drivers, people passionate about automobiles, period. We all have chosen the best. You won't go wrong. Happy trails.

· Registered
112 Posts
Agreeing with the above replies, all I can say is "YES buy a Touareg!" Go test drive one and be prepared to be blown away. I'm hooked on the air suspension, it's so cool to switch between sport and comfort depending need. Now go for a test drive and report back with your impressions (please).

<cough> v8, air, nav</cough>

· Registered
14 Posts
I bought my v6 Touareg yesterday. I have to say, it is by far the most amazing car I've ever driven. Fun, extremely comfortable, and stylish. My friends saw it last night and were blown away! I highly recommend that you go buy yourself a Touareg.

· Registered
25 Posts
I've had mine one month now, and it's still making me grin like a love sick teenager. The nicest ride Ive ever had. There is so much to like. There's lots of good boxes out there, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything that does it all as well.

To be fair, I haven't done any off roading yet, but given the pics I've seen here and the videos, I have no doubt this buggy will rock. Almost hard to believe given how marvelous the road manners are.

· Registered
139 Posts
Well, I can´t say much, because I´m just going to get mine next week so, I haven´t driven it... But, from sitting inside it, I could imediatly tell it´s a GREAT CAR... I just can´t wait to get it and make a trip... :roll:
In my opinion, BUY IT.. but, as Mike said, the decision is your´s..
The only thing I suggest is to see if anyone here lives near you, and ask that person to give you a tour :D

· Registered
99 Posts
I've had mine for 13 days now and I still find it truly remarkable. I'm still looking for errands to run so I can drive it more often. Everywhere I park people look at ask about it. Not only is it a great ride but somewhat of a status symbol. :mrgreen:

· Registered
139 Posts
"I've had mine for 13 days now and I still find it truly remarkable. I'm still looking for errands to run so I can drive it more often. Everywhere I park people look at ask about it. Not only is it a great ride but somewhat of a status symbol."

Still ?? looool :D If you stoped liking it in 13 days... loool :D
I can´t wait to go and get it.. it must be a fantastic car..

· Registered
1 Posts
AnnieB,

I'm with you, my wife an I have been shopping for a new SUV for a few months now. We really like the Touareg and the XC90. The reported bugs have me a bit nervous aswell. But like everyone is saying problems are most likley a small precentage.

I battled with this decission with my current vehicle (Ford SVT Lightning) after reading what seems like many horror stories of spark plugs blowing out and engine blocks cracking. I purchased anyway and have been very happy with it. I think it is the luck of the draw... hopefully we will both get non-problematic Touaregs and a dealler that will be very helpful.

From what I read, VWoA seem to care and step up to the plate if there is a problem. I talked to my dealer's service manager, he said the only widespread problem he has seen is the tire pressure system and most of the time it is because the owner does not give the system enough time to reset itself. I looked at a Passat in 2000, loved it, but ran the other way when VW said it was a 2year / 24k warranty. Now that they have a 5/50 warranty I'm seriously considering VW again.

If I can find a great deal on a base V6 plus get (in writting) the use of a loaner car if needed, I will be getting the Touareg for my wife.

We almost bought the more expensive Volvo last weekend but our hearts are really with the Touareg, it just feels right, better built, and much nicier looking in and out. The big advantage the Volvo has going for it is the 7passenger seating, that is about it...

We plan to get a Touareg after I figure out if I should lease or buy...

Good luck Annie!

-JJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.