Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a big city in east of USA. Recently I looked for a touareg to buy. Now there are two choices. One is 2015 Touareg TDI Executive with good maintence history and 72000 miles. The price is $26000. Another one is 2017 Wolfsburg Edition, with good mainence history and 42000 miles. The price is $26400. Could you give me some suggestion? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It depends on what you will use it for, as in how far your daily drive would be-diesel will not be as good at short distances for longevity versus gas. If you drive long distances or are at least in it for an hour or two anytime you drive it, then diesel would make better sense.

I live in a small town outside of a big city and work from home now...so my gas Touaregs get driven very seldom now and only short distances. I have to purposely plan trips to drive them long enough just to get up to temp because this is even hard on them.

Also I would comment that my 3.6 and 4.2 (2007 and 2008) have been very reliable. In my 13 years of ownership they have never not started with the exception of needing a jump when my new battery turned out to be defective. I have read many threads of TDI issues on here and it seems there is more to go wrong.

I had a Indy shop try and tell me a needed timing chains on my 2007, but dealer confirmed what I thought...they misdiagnosed. Turns out my fuel was bad from sitting too long-now I run more often and only use high quality "pure" gas with no ethanol.

If you intend on towing I would consider the TDI as it really is good at this...although I hear MPG isn't that great and drops as a higher percentage vs the gas... meaning my 3.6 will get 19 on the highway and 12 towing...a 36.8% drop. A TDI will see a larger percent drop as the V6 is simply a small diesel and works pretty hard to tow. I have a friend with a 2012 TDI Touareg and almost the same TT as me and he actually gets similar towing MPG to my V8 4.2 FSI for example.

Also the newer Touareg is more attractive to me, because it was the last year imported to US.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on what you will use it for, as in how far your daily drive would be-diesel will not be as good at short distances for longevity versus gas. If you drive long distances or are at least in it for an hour or two anytime you drive it, then diesel would make better sense.

I live in a small town outside of a big city and work from home now...so my gas Touaregs get driven very seldom now and only short distances. I have to purposely plan trips to drive them long enough just to get up to temp because this is even hard on them.

Also I would comment that my 3.6 and 4.2 (2007 and 2008) have been very reliable. In my 13 years of ownership they have never not started with the exception of needing a jump when my new battery turned out to be defective. I have read many threads of TDI issues on here and it seems there is more to go wrong.

I had a Indy shop try and tell me a needed timing chains on my 2007, but dealer confirmed what I thought...they misdiagnosed. Turns out my fuel was bad from sitting too long-now I run more often and only use high quality "pure" gas with no ethanol.

If you intend on towing I would consider the TDI as it really is good at this...although I hear MPG isn't that great and drops as a higher percentage vs the gas... meaning my 3.6 will get 19 on the highway and 12 towing...a 36.8% drop. A TDI will see a larger percent drop as the V6 is simply a small diesel and works pretty hard to tow. I have a friend with a 2012 TDI Touareg and almost the same TT as me and he actually gets similar towing MPG to my V8 4.2 FSI for example.

Also the newer Touareg is more attractive to me, because it was the last year imported to US.
Thank you very much! Very useful suggestions. Now I think the 2017 wolfburg edition could be better than the TDI. I don't need to towe something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Do you think the touareg is realiable? One of my friend keep a touareg for 5 years and run about 40k miles. He told me that he never meet something wrong except the replacement of the water tank(free by 4s dealer,under 80k miles).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I do think the Touareg is reliable. The engine layout and transmission are a lot less compact than other crossovers that have a transverse engine with transmission shoved under the hood (meaning spacial limitations and weight are considered when engineering transverse mounted motors leading to them being more prone to issues long term) as the Touareg has a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission this is not an issue. Also the Touareg transmission is an Asin which Toyota trucks use and has proven very reliable. I tow at the max Touareg is rated for years and years and have not had any issues-where robust supplier.

But like any vehicle they require maintenance and while doing the work yourself isn't too expensive (if you have the skills and time) having the dealer or even independent shop can be very expensive.

A few good examples on my generation are the dash blower, center main drive line bearing, and for me most recently the rear hatch struts. Me doing the work on these maintenance items saved my literally thousands of dollars. A 2017 likely won't have these issues as design improvements were made from 2011 on...another reason why newer is better.

Touareg brake jobs (at least my generation-dont know about newer) are very easy and cost as little as 250 to 300 USD for all OEM from wholesale provider, at the dealer can be 750 USD and up. This is per axle too, so savings here is pretty big for all 4 done yourself.

Big deal to either be comfortable yourself or to have a good independent shop you trust. I have not had good luck with indy shops however-so I just do myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do think the Touareg is reliable. The engine layout and transmission are a lot less compact than other crossovers that have a transverse engine with transmission shoved under the hood (meaning spacial limitations and weight are considered when engineering transverse mounted motors leading to them being more prone to issues long term) as the Touareg has a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission this is not an issue. Also the Touareg transmission is an Asin which Toyota trucks use and has proven very reliable. I tow at the max Touareg is rated for years and years and have not had any issues-where robust supplier.

But like any vehicle they require maintenance and while doing the work yourself isn't too expensive (if you have the skills and time) having the dealer or even independent shop can be very expensive.

A few good examples on my generation are the dash blower, center main drive line bearing, and for me most recently the rear hatch struts. Me doing the work on these maintenance items saved my literally thousands of dollars. A 2017 likely won't have these issues as design improvements were made from 2011 on...another reason why newer is better.

Touareg brake jobs (at least my generation-dont know about newer) are very easy and cost as little as 250 to 300 USD for all OEM from wholesale provider, at the dealer can be 750 USD and up. This is per axle too, so savings here is pretty big for all 4 done yourself.

Big deal to either be comfortable yourself or to have a good independent shop you trust. I have not had good luck with indy shops however-so I just do myself.
Thanks a lot for your nice information. I do think I have skillful hands for maintening the car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was going to post to go for Diesel anyway. The 400lbs of torque is appreciable for a vehicle of this size. You should get a good warranty on the powertrain as well.

Fuel economy is also appreciable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to post to go for Diesel anyway. The 400lbs of torque is appreciable for a vehicle of this size. You should get a good warranty on the powertrain as well.

Fuel economy is also appreciable.
Thank you. The only worry about of TDI Executive is its mileage, 72k for$26000. Is it a little bit expensive?

·
Registered
218 Posts
is it a R-line?

Not sure about the price, it varies quite a lot depending on mileage/location, etc...

I would definitely get it inspected thoroughly. My 2014 has 115k mi, rock solid. Not a single issue with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
is it a R-line?

Not sure about the price, it varies quite a lot depending on mileage/location, etc...

I would definitely get it inspected thoroughly. My 2014 has 115k mi, rock solid. Not a single issue with it.
Not R-line. The 2015 TDI Executive have a lot of nice features including P275/45HR20 wheels,Steering wheel heating, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) & Front Assist, autonomous emergency braking, Lane Assist Lane departure warning system , Dynaudio speakers ,360 full view camera...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it a R-line?

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The reason the tdi gets worse mpg while towing is because it's boosted; it sucks down boost so that it can maintain forward momentum

Brake jobs, parts alone (dealer only - high carbon rotors and Brembo rotors) should be $800-1200.

Reactions: John1981

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason the tdi gets worse mpg while towing is because it's boosted; it sucks down boost so that it can maintain forward momentum

Brake jobs, parts alone (dealer only - high carbon rotors and Brembo rotors) should be $800-1200.
Thank you. I should prepare for the replacement myself if I get a Touareg.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Just an example. Tires (that are worth a damn) are 200-300 a piece. Vagcom is needed for brake jobs for the park brake configuration. Oil changes are 120 at the dealer. Diesel kleen every tank. They aren't cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is it a R-line?

The dealer doesn't want me to check it completely before my buying. The maintenance history looks good, I still worry about something though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in a big city in east of USA. Recently I looked for a touareg to buy. Now there are two choices. One is 2015 Touareg TDI Executive with good maintence history and 72000 miles. The price is $26000. Another one is 2017 Wolfsburg Edition, with good mainence history and 42000 miles. The price is $26400. Could you give me some suggestion? Thank you very much!
Hmm - - that '17 WB ED sounds like it could be my previous one... is it red & come from TN by chance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it was my previous
No. It's a black one and from PA.
ah - fair enough... Mine had the same mileage when I traded it... It was an awesome vehicle, but it let me down & left me stranded on the roadside... no transmission action at all - not even Park. It was a simple & cheap fix. The actuation arms (?) going from the shifter to the gear box came detached - - while driving. It was a scary moment for sure.
But - I bought it to tow as we flip houses - it was comfortable, powerful, roomy & looked good. The WB Ed actually has a couple of features the Exec didn't... vented seats for one... I don't think you'll go wrong w/ either thou. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '12 TDI and love that I have the diesel. I haven't driven the gas version but I can't imagine I would ever swap it with my Diesel. If your not towing and don't drive on longer road trips maybe your experience would not be the same.

To the previous post comments. If your new to Touareg then be prepared maintenance is more costly than the average vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts