Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. I got a really nice v6 Touareg 09 for $9. 5k few months ago @ 96k miles. Ride was still nice then, but since put a couple thousand miles on it on rough paved downtown roads. The ride has gotten progressively worse recently where i feel every little bump and cracks on the road. I know i need to replace shocks soon, although in large bumps and dips they still absorb rather well.

My question is do you think i need to replace control arms and some bushings to take care of the loud bumps on the road feel? Car was very well taken care of so i doubt it saw much spirited driving or overloaded at any time. So I'm thinking maybe the bushings and control arms are fine. Maybe the small articulation is the only part worn out on the shocks? I'm rather limited in funds as gas mileage is a killer on my wallet. City mpg has dropped from 14 to 11 lately. I still drive like a grandma, so I'm wondering about that too. (5k Oil change isn't due for another 1500 miles.)

·
Registered
678 Posts
The noise you can hear might be in the shocks explaining the harsh ride as well.

If your short of funds you could get under your car and inspect every joint and bush yourself, pushing, pulling and levering it.
Take note of the direction every joint travels in and apply pressure.

Also look for loose bolts.

How's your tyre pressure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tire pressure is 4 or 5 lbs below recommended for softer ride. Still a bit jarring over cracks and rough pavement. I guess a better way to rephrase my question would be do most Touaregs need control arm bushing and other suspension bushing replacement at close to 100k miles? I ask because it's such a heavy car. I would rather just do the shocks but I have this nagging feeling the bushings will get worse and affect every other part of the car making it feel dead and creaky quickly. I test drove a few years older Touareg with less miles before I got mine and that car felt like a piece of garbage. Like the ride felt like it was at least 10 years older than my Touareg. My car's ride was almost like new when I got it a few months back. Just want to prolong that feel without having to spend too much dough.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mine has 180xxx kms and it drives like a new one.
Couldn't say if it had been worked on before but there's nothing in the log book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts