Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 08 V6 since it was new and now up to ~160k+ miles.

Runs like a dream still. Pretty amazing.

But, at this point I am well past the time when I should have replaced the shocks I think.

I would expect that at this mileage I should replace the springs also, but I'm hearing divergent views on that.

Anyone out there in this range of mileage and still on original springs, and feel good about the ride quality?

Thanks ! :nerd:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I wouldn't change the springs unless you have deep pockets and/or your ride quality is compromised. If the springs aren't rusted out and the car isn't sagging then they should be fine.

That being said, I did have 2 front strut springs break on my 2002 Golf about 2 months apart. The old ones weren't even rusty. No idea how or why they broke. Both had about 5-6" off the bottom that broke off. But in my nearly 30 years of car ownership, I've only replaced springs twice: the broken strut springs on the Golf, and 4" lift springs on a Landcruiser.

Shocks: again, if the ride is good and there is no bounce, handling is good - why bother?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much!

It's a California vehicle that has only seen snow a few times... nothing ever really rusts here. I was just under there putting new brake pads on (TRW ceramics... super nice, quiet, smooth, is not quite as grabby as OEM) and the springs looked quite good.

Sounds like I should just do the shocks then. I'll get that under way soon.

I haven't done this sort of shock before. Definitely need to pick up a spring compressor I guess. Welcome any other tips/advice on other stuff to replace while I'm in there.

Reason for doing the shocks is that the ride is a bit harsh on bumpy pavement. This has gotten worse in recent months, so I figure shocks are going/gone... Not a lot of bounce but some harshness over bumps is all. I'm fussy about that sort of thing and since I've decided to keep the car a while longer I want to enjoy it.

Also my 200+ lb ass has thoroughly worn out the original seat so I'll be replacing that soon too. Those two changes and I'll be good as new ;-)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Take a look at all the bushings while your in there. Ball joints, control arm bushings, tierod ends, swaybar bushings, etc. These can cause the issues you're experiencing as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts