Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.0 V6 TDI has an air suspension , which over time started to to behave rather sporty on potholes and even small road bumps , meaning now I can hear and feel the road deficiencies.... my thought was that i need to replace the shock absorbers , only to discover that they are not sold separately from the spring air bag and the original part , comes at a cost of around 1300 euros.... each !!!
any ideas of away to fix this not having to replace my spring air bags also and reduce the cost ?
Thanks in advance for any reply !!

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,274 Posts
There are a few non dealer sources of shocks.

Have you switched from comfort-auto-sport mode to make sure that the dampers are working. The shocks can get very stiff if that system fails.

If I am Hearing and Feeling the road, I am thinking that my tires have became hard. Certain tires do this with age and the solution is a new set of tires. Really. Can someone explain how would a shock fail that would make additional road noise? Now tires, yes. I have had tires that did this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few non dealer sources of shocks.

Have you switched from comfort-auto-sport mode to make sure that the dampers are working. The shocks can get very stiff if that system fails.

If I am Hearing and Feeling the road, I am thinking that my tires have became hard. Certain tires do this with age and the solution is a new set of tires. Really. Can someone explain how would a shock fail that would make additional road noise? Now tires, yes. I have had tires that did this.
Thank you for your input nikyt , I should have mention earlier though that my Treg has 244.000 km and the suspension hadn't any service so far , its true that my tires are about two years old , but taking into account my mileage and the original suspension still onboard ,would you still believe that changing the tires would solve the issue ?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I wondered if it was the tires too.

Also look at Arnott and Aerosus for replacement suspension units.

And look at Chinese copies too.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
196 Posts
since you said your suspension hasn't had any service, it should be time to replace your control arms, sway bar links and bushings and even inner and outer tie rods. Helps big time.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,274 Posts
I have an local indie alignment shop that is good at looking over front end issues. Like Micheld7 said, it is possible that it is an front end issue. Many threads about having to rebuild the front end suspension on this site. You might as well call it a wear item.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts