Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious why my new 2016 TDI has noticeably higher shift points when cold than my last 2016 TDI. I'm aware the higher cold temp shift points are a result of the diesel fix, but wouldn't the same fix on same model and year result in the same - or at least similar - shift points? It also seems to keep these longer, even a few minutes after the temp gauge says it's warm.

I also wonder if revving higher like it does when it's cold is bad for the engine?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,064 Posts
That's only comparable if both vehicles have had a recent gearbox reset - the learning pattern after that can give different results.

In the UK, dealers seem to be using a 0W-30 version of 507.00 oil rather than the original 5W-30 which may be to get the oil circulating better round the cold engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's only comparable if both vehicles have had a recent gearbox reset - the learning pattern after that can give different results.

In the UK, dealers seem to be using a 0W-30 version of 507.00 oil rather than the original 5W-30 which may be to get the oil circulating better round the cold engine.
I don't know if either car ever had a gearbox reset.

Yes, 0W -30 is what they're using where I go.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Was your "old" unit up to date on all recalls and "fix reflashes" prior to you trading it in?
Your "new" unit probably has the most up-to-date flashes on it which could mean different ECM & TCM maps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was your "old" unit up to date on all recalls and "fix reflashes" prior to you trading it in?
Your "new" unit probably has the most up-to-date flashes on it which could mean different ECM & TCM maps.
Interesting, thank you. I don't know if the old one was up to date. I never did any of those updates.

I will just get used to the new feel and assume the "winding out" is intentional and not causing any engine harm.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I am curious why my new 2016 TDI has noticeably higher shift points when cold than my last 2016 TDI. I'm aware the higher cold temp shift points are a result of the diesel fix, but wouldn't the same fix on same model and year result in the same - or at least similar - shift points? It also seems to keep these longer, even a few minutes after the temp gauge says it's warm.

I also wonder if revving higher like it does when it's cold is bad for the engine?

Thanks for any insight.
Volkswagen is theorizing that running higher RPM and less load is less dangerous and wearing on the motor when cold versus low RPM and high load. Aside from the obvious pollution reasons that the Hi RPM is being used

I don't know if either car ever had a gearbox reset.

Yes, 0W -30 is what they're using where I go.
Doesn't matter, computer learning will make it totally different for every single vehicle. If you've never done a gearbox reset since you've owned the car I highly suggest you do so, otherwise you have shift mapping from the dealership and everybody that's ever test driven the car

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Volkswagen is theorizing that running higher RPM and less load is less dangerous and wearing on the motor when cold versus low RPM and high load. Aside from the obvious pollution reasons that the Hi RPM is being used

Doesn't matter, computer learning will make it totally different for every single vehicle. If you've never done a gearbox reset since you've owned the car I highly suggest you do so, otherwise you have shift mapping from the dealership and everybody that's ever test driven the car
Very interesting again! I read somewhere on this forum about gearbox reset but do not remember details. Can you elaborate why/when it's recommended and how to do it? Or point me in the direction where to find the info?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You can do it in vagcom or without.
Without starting the engine, switch on the ignition, press the accelerator down all the way, hold for +- 15 seconds, let go of the accelerator, switch off the ignition and you're done. Next time you drive, you will notice a difference and the gearbox will relearn you driving style

keep in mind the transmission is always learning but it will take 1 to 2 weeks to fully learn your driving type depending on how much you drive. it will drive like a crap but then I'm all slowly drive nicely

·
Registered
168 Posts
Personally mine his either gotten better or I've learned to drive around it. It seems to be happy to hold a gear to about 3200rpm and will hold close to that in town at 30mph. Once I exceed about 35mph it hits the next gear and I can cruise through town around 2500rpm.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
You guys should be very specific when "complaining" about the high RPM.
When cold, the coding will allow the TQ converter to slip in order to bring up the trans fluid up to temp for proper operation.

My 2014 only exhibits this behavior for a couple of minutes after starting\driving off when cold.
I don't think mine has ever held higher rpm than normal for longer than 3min of driving through the city, even when really cold. (like -15c) Also note that I'm always parked outside in the elements, so those who park indoors or in heated garages should have an even shorter warmup experience.

If the OP is still holding 3k rpm after the engine has warmed up, I'd say he's got an issue which needs investigating.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Agreed ABA, once warm my Touareg shifts early, around 2400-2600 rpm

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you didn’t buy it from a VW dealer (or a competent one), it may not be up to date on TSB and emission related recall updates.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys should be very specific when "complaining" about the high RPM.
When cold, the coding will allow the TQ converter to slip in order to bring up the trans fluid up to temp for proper operation.

My 2014 only exhibits this behavior for a couple of minutes after starting\driving off when cold.
I don't think mine has ever held higher rpm than normal for longer than 3min of driving through the city, even when really cold. (like -15c) Also note that I'm always parked outside in the elements, so those who park indoors or in heated garages should have an even shorter warmup experience.

If the OP is still holding 3k rpm after the engine has warmed up, I'd say he's got an issue which needs investigating.
Right, I did understand that the high rpms was for warm up. My question was why is it more pronounced and for a longer time in this car than my last one. It was more like my '12 Passat TDI which I didn't like driving when it was warming up. Even after warmup the "new" one seems to shift at higher rpm than the "old" one, but not alarmingly high. Definitely not like the warm up period

But....I did the re-set as stated above and it seemed to work right away and it was noticeable. It felt great to drive. Could it have been a coincidence that the car was also fully warmed up? Maybe. It's going to be 25 degrees tonight so tomorrow morning will tell.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Glad you like the improvement. Likely you had a hundred different people test driving it from the dealership

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
This morning when it was cold it did rev higher but it wasn't bothersome and I know it is by design. It calmed down quickly and I love how it drives now! Thanks to all here for the info!
The best and fastest way to get it up to operating temp is to start driving it as soon as you turn it on, and just drive at a gingerly throttle application for the first 3-5min. This will generate the quickest warmup time and will reduce unnecessary wear. The VAG engineers added sufficient systems and integration to ensure that warmup times are reduced.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The best and fastest way to get it up to operating temp is to start driving it as soon as you turn it on, and just drive at a gingerly throttle application for the first 3-5min. This will generate the quickest warmup time and will reduce unnecessary wear. The VAG engineers added sufficient systems and integration to ensure that warmup times are reduced.
Perfect for me most days. I've got a 5 minute ride at about 30 mph before I get up in the highway. Then I put on the cruise (the new adaptive cruise!) and go!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Agreed. Plus all of the electrical aids on the car helps it warm up within seconds. I can go from a completely frozen windshield to the ice melting away within a minute of firing the car up on a stone cold day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts