Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have experienced loss of power several times a few weeks ago and then nothing since until today.
Symptoms are complete loss of power when engine is put under load, say like accelerating fast. Today it was not funny at all.
It happened while i was in the fast lane driving 120k accelerating past cars with a line of cars behind me.
I lost power same as the last times but more noticeable because of the speed.
I had to wait to find a gap between the cars to my left while losing speed very quickly in the fast lane. Really no joke at all. I had an orange warning light come on like 2 circles locked together. Do not have a clue what this means.
Anyone any ideas or know what the issue is and the solution.
thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I bet you will get a warning message "Check Engine" or something like this on your dashboard soon without scanning for errors. Check air filter as a first step.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You need to get a scan, but when mine went into limp mode and the preheat warning light came on I was in town so I did not experience the large loss of power you did.

Scan showed these two faults:

5183 - Particulate Trap Bank 1
P2002 00 [104] - Efficiency Below Threshold
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

5162 - Diesel Particle Filter; Differential Pressure Sensor
P2453 00 [104] - Implausible Signal
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Dealer replaced one pressure sensor on the DPF.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You need to get a scan
I mean obviously something wrong with the engine performance and if the owner continue to run the engine he will finally hurt it. In my particular case I had same symptoms (after a more that 2000 km non-stop highway trip). There was a mesh filter (2.5l engine) at the air intake. They simply cropped it too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x2 on the scan.

With a problem such as you describe you needed to be in the garage and getting it sorted the very first time it happened . . .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is it a diesel or petrol...that symbol on the dash in the picture above looks like a glow plug...+1 on the vagcom scan asap...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I assumed TDI due to OP's description of the warning light, "orange warning light come on like 2 circles locked together", but that is also why I posted the pic, to ensure we are on the same page.

Clarification on my original statement, "You need to get a scan, but when", should read, "You need to get a scan to tell exactly what the problem is, but when".

Njord, I don't understand the "They simply cropped it too." Would you explain to this dumba$$ American?

I would think that limp mode and glow plug warning light could be several things wrong, that is why I posted my error codes. If you get a scan and it shows the same error codes you will know what the dealer did to fix mine.

Did the Euro 2007 TDI even have diesel particulate filters?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info, really great.
I have to say you guys are quick with the responses.
I have only owned the Touareg for the past 2 months, its a 2007 3.0 v6 auto.
Its a big come up from my last vehicle which had none of the bells and whistles, but i still loved it
So far i am lost because i have no manual (dealer problem ) to check any thing out and still don't know half the stuff on the Touareg.
Really weird thing to happen and dangerous for such a modern vehicle.
The first couple of times it happened i did go to the main dealer and because there was no apparent warning light, he said come back if it happens again.
Which i will do on Monday morning

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Njord, I don't understand the "They simply cropped it too." Would you explain to this dumba$$ American?
tmann45,
You're not necessarily dumba$$ American. Most probably I expressed myself incorrectly in English. When introducing myself I asked readers to seek clarification from my side if they do not understand me. http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f88/another-new-joiner-79903.html Back to the story: While in transit I phoned nearest official autohaus. Explained them the situation and my concerns. They said continue at a low speed. Finally they replaced the air filter (it was heavily contaminated/soiled) and apart from this they cropped that mesh screen. This screen recognized here in Russia as "useless". As I understood the main purpose of this mesh is to prevent water droplets from entering the system (works like demister). But it get clogged very often. And it is very dangerous to run the 2.5 engine with restricted air supply. Under such circumstances (air supply deficiency) the turbine can create so deep vacuum that this will lead to fatal damages (the turbocharger cage will burst). Hope, now my message is clear.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hate to admit it but your English is better than a lot of Americans.

I understand screen/demister used as a pre-filter now and assume cropped would mean that they cut it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I hate to admit it but your English is better than a lot of Americans.

I understand screen/demister used as a pre-filter now and assume cropped would mean that they cut it out. Thanks.
Yes, right. Before I was sure that welders use term "crop" when they intend to make a cutout somewhere with their acetylene cutting equipment. Perhaps this is a slang. And thank you for admission. I am very proud. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Njord, crop is the same word the photographers use when the edit and cut out certain parts of a photo that they do not want - your choice of words were understood immediately ..... now back to topic.

I have a 2005 2.5 TDi with exactly the same problem - engine goes into limp mode at about 3000rpm when pulling hard or accellerating - when I switch off the engine and start again - everything is 100% till the next time - dangerous as this happenned to me while overtaking as well - SCARY!!.

Now my car has been to the dealer - an excellent service station and knowledgeable - bought my car there and after 265 000kms still take it there.

There is no warning when this happens and NO error/fault lights that come on on my dash.

The compute,r via diags actually shows an "over boost" error. Now my car has been in the garage for 4 days and they have tested everything - they have actuated every single valve through the computer, tested every pressure sensor through the computer, tested the differential pressures etc - EVERYTHING work 100% without any errors on the computer or parts...

They were able to simulate the problem by bypassing the N75 valve with a bypass pipe - one of the tests suggested - it almost immediately goes into limp mode ....... which apparently is suppose to happen - it tests the "limp mode" function.

All the vacuum levels were tested and is 100%, individually on the valves/actuators, as well as the complete system.....

What now?!? .....Where exactly does this mesh sits - the one you cut out/cropped? That might just be the elusive problem and I would like to explore this with the dealer.

The one thing we did see and that is when you put suction on the actiuator that has the linkage connected to the turbo - I think the waste gate portion, there is a pivot arm that connects to the linkage and goes into the turbo ..... now when you put suction on the actuator, the linkage moves a little and then you have to add quite a bit of extra suction before it actually moves any further ... indicating a possible wear and sticking of this pivot arm bushes, either in the turbo body, or on the linkage side ....

Any more suggestions will be appreciated, I will also try and get the complete diagnositc printout of all the test that were done - in the lab as well as with the diags computer connected while driving at various rpm levels...

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
your choice of words were understood immediately

What now?!? .....Where exactly does this mesh sits - the one you cut out/cropped? That might just be the elusive problem and I would like to explore this with the dealer.

Any more suggestions will be appreciated, I will also try and get the complete diagnositc printout of all the test that were done - in the lab as well as with the diags computer connected while driving at various rpm levels...

Thanks for the input
minivan,

Thank you for your induction, appreciated. I really need these English tips (I mean advice and not donations). From my early years I was fascinated with English. For me it is a great opportunity to “extend my horizons” far beyond Russian boundaries. By the way I was in Cape Town about 5 years ago. Table and Lion mounts open really awe inspiring views. I have a dream to return back sometime for vacation with my sails and board.

I have got diagnostics printout also. Right now it is not within my reach, but as I remember, an air filter was clearly stated as a reason (there were no other errors mentioned). I understand it is a quite trivial cause. But that time I resumed my trip in normal way and till now everything is ok. They cut out that gauze just as a preventive measure for the future. In fact they told nothing about it (official dealer)! I knew about it afterwards while studying the bill/scope of job printout. And I'm not alone in this self-will! But I heard other owners got pissed off with this pre-filter. I wish you a good like in your research. Please revert with your comments if you find the solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Njord, I love my country and I love my CITY - Proudly South African living in Cape Town. I stay right up the mountain, just below the cable car station and often cycle or hike in Table Mountain. Please come back and enjoy our city - Langebaan if you are a kite surfer!!

i got all the printouts of all the tests done by the dealer just now, and will work through them, as well as try and locate the mesh and remove that as well. I will surely post my findings here, as I may well help somebody else in future.

This website and the people that put it together rocks!!! Thank you:clapclap::clapclap::clapclap:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
i suspect your VGT vanes are stuck and/or the intake flap runner.

How was it scanned? vagcom?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi 4ePikanini

Yes, the VGT vane arm moves freely and one can actually test it with the manual suction/vacuum pump. It moves down a little and then was the vacuum builds, it moves down further ... once the vacuum is released, it goes back to default state.

What is the flap runner?

I have all the VAG diag logs here - will work through it tonight and see if there are any funnies, but it seems from a computer test perspective as if everything works 100% and is within lower and upper limit tolerances as well - boost pressures, differential pressures etc.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
One more example. The picture below illustrates what happens if air filter is dirty. The plastic fragments shall be sucked inside! The air filter case has a built-in breathe valve (vacuum breaker) but sometimes it doesn't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is there any way to check the Actuator rod length? Can it even be set on the R5 motors?

Second question - at what minimum vacuum does the actuator start moving, and at what maximum vacuum does it stop - what is the factory range from low to high?

Third Q? - does the actuator have to move smoothly and constantly as vacuum is applied?

I have read through this write up, but there does not seem to be a clear fault diagnositc flow chart.....
Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI - TDIClub Forums

1 - 20 of 23 Posts