Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
According to Bentley, the CD only covers the V-6 and V-8. When I asked when the V-10 would be out, this was the response:

"Most likely, when the current Touareg cd is updated, it will contain the information on the V10. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure when the cd will get updated. You might try back the middle of next year."

They do offer a subscriptions service to a web based version that does include the V-10.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thanks. Good info to know.

Sounds like Navteq and the Navaigation CD Updates. Who knows when those will ever get updated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tahoe,
No problem. That's why these forums are so great.
I'm bummed, though. Really wanted the CD. I guess the web based would get updated more often than the CD, but it just seems like the CD would be so much easier to deal with.
As for the NAV updates, I'm not convinced that the VW software willdo them justice. I understand the CDs have more on them than the VW system will display. As a result, for me the only reason to update was if I needed maps of brand new raods that the old ones don't have. Not real likely case for me.
But one can always hope. I'd love to see someone like Alpine build a complete upgrade kit with DVD NAV and a much better quality stereo system that drops right in and interfcess cleanly with the rest of the VW interfaces.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yes I know what you mean. Naveteq supplies the software for a number of navigation systems including the entire Garmin line, which have very detailed maps. For some reason VW chose to simplify their display and not show the road names and other features you can find on other systems. I am a pilot and have used a number of GPS systems for flying so it is frustrating to use the VW Nav, knowing how much more these systems can offer us.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a Garmin moving map/comm in my Beech A35, but you obviously have a much much nicer panel. Mine is mostly original except for the radios and a CD/intercom. I avoid IFR so kept it pretty simple on hte upgrades. I do love the Garmin, though. Works great. Easier to program than the treg, but, of course, don't have to specify streets and street numbers, etc...
Blue skies.

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Burning a copy of this manual would be illegal. Besides, it has copy protection.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
You can buy a subscription and access it online. Very convenient, and more up-to-date than a CD version. You can get a short-term subscription (I think it's 3 or 5 days) for $20 at Bentley's website. Or, buy a year-long subscription for about $75.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
So if you do an online subscription is there files you can download and burn to a disc yourself?

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
I don't think so, or at least I don't remember there being on option. However, I was able to make a few PDF copies of the pages I needed from my paid session.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I got a subscription for the short-term deal when I did the brakes. I printed out all the brake stuff I needed, as it's much less of an issue if you get brake dust/grease/etc on a piece of paper versus a laptop. =) Plus, now I still have them for future reference, although it's easy enough I can probably do them again witout it. (Well, other than the torque specs)

Matt

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Matt, I thought you had a Black Macbook, so grease and black smudges shouldn't be a problem. ; )

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought the Bentley DVD manual, and I'm very disappointed. It's hugely short on content.

Would strongly recommend you try the one-day online deal before buying.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
They are no match for the Chilton guides.

Much of it is sorta cryptic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.