Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just replaced the carrier bearing on my 2006 V-10 Still have the same problem. Upon acceleration I am getting a very discernable vibration in the rear of the vehicle. With a heavy trailer hooked to it I am getting a "hard to hear anything else" banging in the rear of the vehicle. There is nothing wrong with the coupler disc. The carrier bearing I replaced did not seem to be all that bad to me. It was noticeably more flexible fore and aft than the new one but was not worn into like those pictured on youtube. I did not believe that was the problem but with all the talk about it failing I changed it anyway. I am now considering taking the rear drive axles off to examine them fully. There is no outward visible problem with the boots. One thing I hope might give someone a clue what it might be is. When you brake hard you get the same banging as accelerating. This makes me think it is the CV joint in one of the rear drive axles. I don't believe it would do this if it were the prop shaft. But I don't know that. I have a whole new drive shaft coming, it should be here tomorrow. I really hate to pull this one out again but I might aught to, just to make sure it is not the rear bearing on the drive shaft. I made the mistake of not marking the CV joint in the drive. All the bearings fell out, the outer bearing collar became disoriented with the inner bearing housing and I had a time of it getting this all back together again. If they are not properly aligned the front part of the shaft will not gimbal or slide, (compress) and you will not get the shaft installed. I am sure it took me a good two hours of studying and trial and error to get it back together right. Don't let that happen to you. Also pay close attention to the way the outer bearing collar is installed there is a difference ,it will go in either way, it just won't work unless it is correctly oriented. If you just changing the carrier bearing it is much better to push the dust cover back so you can see the spring clip that holds the inner bearing housing on the shaft. Open that up and pull the shaft out of the CV joint leaving the inner bearing housing in place with the bearings still incased in the inner bearing housing and collar. It might be a little hard to get started but once the shaft gets out past the ring clip detent it should could come apart pretty easily. Makes putting it back together a whole lot easier. Please if anyone has had a problem with banging in the rear end and it was not the prop shaft would love to hear from you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts