Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reading as much as possible about TDI-tunes, I am nearly ready to throw-in my limited resources on a Malone, Stage 2 tune. With that tune, I do see the many reasons to embrace delete options (realizing I am outside of any warranty concern) however my nearest Malone vendor says they offer no deletes for the Stage 2 install. Still interested in investing in the Stage 2 tune, I wonder how could it benefit me to pay a (potentially more costly-middleman) vendor instead of performing the Stage 2 myself? Anyone have insights for why I should pay the Malone vendor to perform the Stage 2 tune without delete?

Alternatively (anyone near 67209 zip code) with another recommended tuner offering delete, please do chime-in...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm not grapsing what you want to do.
An ECU tune? So you're asking if you should pay a Malone vendor to flash your ECU, or if you should do it yourself?
A DPF delete? So if you're vendor won't do it, you either do it yourself or pay a different shop to do it.

If you have the means and knowledge to flash your own ECU, then you don't need to pay anyone else to do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am nearly ready to flash the ECU, the vendor denies current availability of TCM flash for my vehicle. I would commit to a delete, but uncertain of its immediate importance. If money was no object I would happily pay someone to delete & tune everthing today, but alas, money is an object for me...:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very kind of you Turbo! Thx for the links, I am trying to father my motherless toddler so unable to sift thru the limitless pages of Touareg TDI posts though, I read what I can. Thanks bro, I can’t wait to become better informed!

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
So 30 second recap, I can tune the transmission control modules.

So lets start from scratch...
I'm assuming that we are talking about a Toaureg here. If so what year?

To answer your question about ECU tunes, if you cant find someone in your area for a Malone tune you can purchase a flashzilla from them and flash it yourself. While it could be "fun" to tune your own vehicle even I let that up to the people that do it day in and day out.

Onto the TCM tunes:
There are a few ways to go about this:
1) You send me your TCM to be flashed. I normally get these flashed and back out the same day. $250 USD
2) I add you to the wait list for the exchange program. I send you a module that you keep, and you send me yours back to be programmed for the next person. $250 plus a $500 deposit that is refunded upon my receipt of your original TCM.
3) I can sell you an extra module for $650. This way you have one to swap in and out as needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right-on yrktreg! Thx for the contact & recap. As you asked, yes we are talking about a Touareg Sport TDI, 2015 to be precise. I just got it used, but it drives surprisingly more like a minivan than I expected, expecting it to perform more how my prior, 2013 Touareg Lux TDI drove. The 2013 TDI drove like a rocketship. I wanna get that back! Money's tight for me right now, so it may be a few months before I can afford to flash the TCM, but it is one of my priorities unless the Malone Stage2 tune would make the transmission perform better...

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Yes the 15-16's come more neutered from the from factory, so there will be a difference even pre-fix between the 2.

From what we are experiencing when going stage 2 the TCM becomes more necessary than stock or even stage 1.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well dang, I'd do it today if I didn't have to be without my TCM. The Touareg will not operate if I remove it, will it? I do not have a spare ride nor do I presently have an extra $500 (presently) needed for the exchange program deposit. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you are strapped for cash and don;t have a second car then modifying the Treg might be a bad idea.
I can see a tune and delete if there were DPF concerns with no warranty.
I did that myself with a 2009 JSW TDI 2.0.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure, I heard the tune & delete eliminates a good deal of engine+turbo stresses, while unlocking horsepower that can be robbed by the DPF burden. I understand it improves the TDI's engine life. I would also love to free myself from the historically problematic DPF & AdBlue heater+system components. Not too big of a deal to me today, but I do miss the peppiness & turbo kick of my used 2013 Lux-TDI, but perhaps it had already been tuned when I got it, or had turbo-upgrade, idk.

My 2015 TDI came w/zero factory warranty remaining, but because of its 172, 680mi odometer, I enroll in an Endurance extended warranty. I do have a 30 day grace period to cancel if I decide against it after feedback from others. If you are familiar at all with the Endurance auto warranty services, I would hear your take on its value. I still need to closely review the contract 'fine-print' to confirm its value, but they did say, tuning would void it. I doubt the TCM is a remarkable disqualifier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just cashed out on my savings to buy the 2015 TDI, as soon as I get some savings regenerated I will want a TCM exchange from you. How is the deposit coordinated? BTW, are you offering any Black Friday specials?

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I just cashed out on my savings to buy the 2015 TDI, as soon as I get some savings regenerated I will want a TCM exchange from you. How is the deposit coordinated? BTW, are you offering any Black Friday specials?
Hmmm I hadn't thought about anything for Black Friday, cool idea let me run with it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new here. Just bought a used 2012 sport tdl and I live very close to you in New Oxford!

Would driving to you, pulling TCM, having you program it while I wait, then re-installing on the spot be an option?

-Adam

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I am new here. Just bought a used 2012 sport tdl and I live very close to you in New Oxford!

Would driving to you, pulling TCM, having you program it while I wait, then re-installing on the spot be an option?

-Adam
Sure we could do that, or I could just program it via the OBD port hehe :)

Yes i'm pretty open with my schedue, so whenever is good for you :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure we could do that, or I could just program it via the OBD port hehe :)

Yes i'm pretty open with my schedue, so whenever is good for you :D
That sounds great to me.

I will be back in town mid December. I will contact you when I get back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts