Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8 - Air Suspension, Diff Lockers
14 Posts
No idea what this could do to V10 Diesel Touareg. I have heard that using Seafoam on high mileage engines can cause leaks and low oil pressure. Following info is anecdotal.

But...

I used Seafoam on VW Passat 1.8T Gas with ~110K Miles that had overly high oil pressure which showed a "STOP NOW" warning on MFD.

Did 4 oil changes within 500 miles. First 3 used cheap oil and filters.
Warning went away almost immediately after 1st oil/filter change with SeaFoam added.
First 2 had Seafoam and oil turned pitch black in very short time <100 miles which prompted change.
3rd was to flush out Seafoam detergents and kept for ~300 miles when it was still OK color and barely transparent.
4th was fully synthetic that I kept for about 5K miles. Then went 8-10K on full synthetic.
It's still going strong (daily driver) and now has ~215K with no issues.

Think it saved the engine as these are known for oil problems and IIRC just missed the engine swap out recall limit.

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi Tinker,

Thanks for your post.

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
As an aside,

I did an oil change on my wife's 150,000 mile D4D 2 litre Auris on 1st April. I used her car as the guinea pig for the combined seafoam and LA Totally Awesome procedure before contemplating it on the Touareg.

The wife has done just short of 2000 miles of all city, stop and go driving since that oil change almost 5 months ago.

Here is a picture of the oil on her dipstick .

The crosshatch markings are still clearly visible and no suspicious noises, smoke, oil loss or loss of power or fuel economy in the 5 months since.

My Treg has done 1000 miles since its procedure so will take a photo of its dipstick in the daylight before putting in new oil and filter so oil analysis can be done at the next service.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Back to the Tregasaurus,

1,015 miles later.

Here is the oil on the dipstick.

Am not sure I can willingly dump that clean oil out. May have to wait another 4,000 miles before the oil is analysed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hmm it is getting very tempting day by day ;-). Thanks 😊 for posting the updates

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Its like driving a gas vehicle where you can look at the dipstick and see the condition of the oil.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
1000 miles after the flush and oil change. Apparently nothing so far.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just over 2000 miles now since the Seafoam treatment at 99,947 miles...

Here's the dipstick...

There is darker staining on the paper towel however the oil is still pretty transparent if you zoom in on the shiny wet sections.

Still no leaks or negative performance issues thus far. Recently returned from a 650 mile motorway trip and it ran like a Swiss watch returning 31.7 mpg going and even higher on the return.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts