Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi New.

Have literally changed the oil just now after 300 miles. Haven't driven it anywhere but it certainly sounds quieter idling.

There were no chunks in the oil.

Wasn't try to fix anything. More of a decarbon of the internals.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here is a picture of the oil after driving 40 miles to work at 70 moh.

Looks pretty clean for a diesel.

Here's a better one. You can see how clean the oil is on the dipstick.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
She's just rolled 100,000 miles and the engine oil and crankcase are that clean. Now I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I thought you wee crackers (and so did others!) But fingers crossed it's done what it says on the tin!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
What I would suggest, for atleast next few times, is to send oil samples with each oil change to a lab to make sure the iron count is not creeping up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Tommit,

Might change my profile name to Capt. James T. Kirk as I appear to be boldly going where no V10 owner has gone before. :cool:

Hi TouaregNut,

That's a good idea. If I can remember to do it in 5000 miles I'll get a sample on its way out and post the results.

In the absence of scientific data at the moment I can only report on the driving experience.

There's no oil leaks and no funny noises. It seems to be idling quieter and the power delivery is silky smooth compared to previous. On the motorway the tyre noise seems louder so perhaps the engine is now quieter under load too?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
UH OH!

Seafoam (almost) 500 mile update

It's been exactly 445 miles since the flush and oil change. It was changed at 99,948 miles.

No leaks, new noises or adverse impact on power delivery.

If you zoom in on the dipstick in the picture below you will see that its wet. You are forgiven if you think I've dipped it into new cooking oil as a prank. I haven't. Thats the colour of the mighty V10's engine oil after 445 miles, half motorway, half city driving.

Will update again after 1000 miles or so.

If anyone else wants their crankcase this clean message me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
UH OH!

Seafoam (almost) 500 mile update

View attachment 238999

It's been exactly 445 miles since the flush and oil change. It was changed at 99,948 miles.

No leaks, new noises or adverse impact on power delivery.

If you zoom in on the dipstick in the picture below you will see that its wet. You are forgiven if you think I've dipped it into new cooking oil as a prank. I haven't. Thats the colour of the mighty V10's engine oil after 445 miles, half motorway, half city driving.

View attachment 239000

Will update again after 1000 miles or so.

If anyone else wants their crankcase this clean message me.
Well VW-lover-2001, well I am at the verge of being sold. Once you post oil analysis results I will tip over depending 😙. Great job though...

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
By Grabthar's Hammer, by the suns of Warvan, your engine shall be cleansed.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I think you should do another oil change to push any remaining seafoam out. If that small amount of remaining seafom modifies the oil properties in 5000 miles you might start having issues. An oil analysis is a must of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks TouaregNut,

Will do an oil analysis in due course and post the results. I wish I had done one previously so there would be a baseline for comparison.

Hi Trespect,

Thanks for the good advice. Was thinking the same and also that the flushing agent may adversely impact on the results of the oil analysis too.

I drained the existing oil that had the bottle of Seafoam added. Replaced the oil filter, put 10 litres of 505 01 and 1.5 litres of LA Totally Awesome and idled the engine for 15 minutes to completely flush the crankcase of carbon that had come free or built up over the last 15 years.

Je suis desolee mon ami. My OCD made me do it. Have drained that out and replaced the filter with a new one.

If the oil analysis shows no damage then I'll post a DIY with the process. If my engine blows up then I'll probably do a write up on what not to do.

Looks like I'm ordering another 11.5 litres of Texas tea and a new filter.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
As long as you’re enjoying it and doing your best to have good results that’s fine ! And we’re learning stuff too. Bonne chance pour la suite mon ami :/)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
666 miles after the oil change

The staining on the paper towel is darker than the first photo. But the oil on the dipstick is still transparent.

The only negative found so far is it makes reading the dipstick more difficult than it usually is.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I am starting to get optimistic about this little experiment. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Nobody is denying that seafoam in the crankcase will clean your crankcase. There are case studies and probably 20 years of history that prove this. The biggest concern with doing this in the V10 is the ultra-high requirements for a very specific type of oil and this Sea Foam concentrate potentially going against that

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Am adding the pictures to show how long the oil is remaining clean to the naked eye. Presumably now the only things to contaminate it are blow by and leaking oil seals.

The longer the oil stays transparent could suggest the overall condition of the engine after the flush.

If the oil went black/brown, etc.immediately after the flush, that would show that either it didn't clean effectively or something has gone horribly wrong due to the flush.

The longer the oil remains clear can also suggest a strong, clean, healthy engine and that the flush hasn't damaged gaskets/seals, etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Am adding the pictures to show how long the oil is remaining clean to the naked eye. Presumably now the only things to contaminate it are blow by and leaking oil seals.

The longer it stays clean could be an indication of its current condition.
Thanks for your frequent update, it is good information! Best of luck.(y)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Will be posting one more picture at 1000 miles post flush right before the oil is drained so an accurate oil analysis can be done at the next change interval.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts