Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Seafoam in the oil crancase of their Treg?

I've used it on other vehicles with great success.

But the V10 tdi is different to any other engine I've owned.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you put a can of Seafoam in his hand? That would be well funny.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you add it any time or just before an oil change?

I think the recommendation I read was 1K miles before oil change.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seafoam recommend adding it between 100 - 300 miles before an oil change.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just what is this supposed to fix? It looks like adding a solvent to dilute the additives and oil.
If the intent is to clean then let it be known that the dirt is better for your engine where is is stuck and not passes through the oiling system.
In my opinion a bad idea looking for a few more sales.
Why would you pour mineral spirits and naphtha into your engine?
Years of experience in high performance hydraulics show that failures are more likely after "cleaning" and getting the dirt into sensitive places.
Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In this circumstance its not a fix but more for preventative maintenance at 100,000 miles to ensure the internals remain clean for the next 100,000.

I appreciate it's not for everyone or every application. Hence my question for the topic.

If the engine had problems I wouldn't consider it. But after swapping the tranny fluid I wanted to ensure the engine internals were in good order too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would not consider it under any circumstances and I would immediately change the oil.
The only thing you might do is break loose the sludge and then wreck the engine.
at 100,000 miles the only thing to worry about is bad oil (now installed) and timing chain wear.
If you feel something is necessary the add Ceratec at the oil change.
Modern oils really do not need anything like Seafoam and adding it can easily cause problems where none existed before.
Most of the recommendations for Seafoam come from... wait for it...Seafoam.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The V10 tdi doesn't have a timing chain.

Unlike the aggressive 10 minute miracle flushes that recommend not driving, Seafoam recommends driving 100 to 300 miles so that suggests its less aggressive in its approach than other products such as Liqui-Moly flush which have a good reputation but are likely far more aggressive.

Less aggressive means less chance of large chunks breaking off and more chance of slowly dissolving any residual carbon that is present.

If there was sludge present in the last oil change or if there were other engine issues I wouldn't consider it either. Am treating this as a wipe clean of the internals and will be changing the oil in approx 150 miles.

To be fair to Seafoam, they've been around since 1942. If they had been damaging engines since then we would know about it and they wouldn't likely still be around today.

Watching Project Farm on YT, he made a couple of videos on seafoaming his Ford Ranger and the results are clearly beneficial.

I do plan on adding Ceratec or Motorkote with the new oil but want clean, shiny metal for it to adhere to.

I'll update on this thread if the engine or turbos blow up because of it but please no one hold your breath. Have seafoamed TDI'S for decades with no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if you have places that offer oil analysis in the UK like we do here in the States. But that could give you an idea of the quality of the oil in your engine at oil change time. Of course, better to test when you don't have the additive in there.
In general I think most engines are fine with a regular good quality synthetic oil and filter changes. Years ago, I bought a toyota with 36,000 miles on it and it showed what looked like a little sludge type deposits on the dipstick. I'm guessing the prior owner wasn't good about changing the oil and probably didn't use synthetic. I didn't use any additives. But after a few oil changes it went away. But as I recall it took more than 2 oil change cycles. I put on a 100,000 miles before the body rusted out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We do have them here. Perhaps I should have used their services. Time was of the essence though as the place where I bought her stamped the service book and said they had changed all the filters.

A couple of days later I checked the air filters and they were as black as the oil. They hadn't bern changed in who knows how long.

Not only did that mean that I couldn't trust the seller to have used the correct spec oil, I also couldn't trust the previous service it had either.

So, I dumped their oil and put in what I knew was the correct spec for peace of mind.

Then checked the tranny sump and found the original fluid still in situ with more metallic than in Harry Potter's back pocket.

Changed out the front/rear diffs and transfer case fluid for Amsoil.

Just want to be sure everything is as good as it possibly can be so she sees another 100,000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds good. Nice to have all those fluids changed and peace of mind knowing you have good fluid inside.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've used it in other rides but there was a thread on here where people were saying the v10 oil is way too specific to allow seafoam into it.. They said bad news.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VW4L,

I agree that the oil is very specific and shouldn't be diluted with anything at the start of its life cycle. The PD engines call for 505 01 for a short term life cycle and 506 01 for a long life cycle of 10,000 miles.

This measure is at the end of this oil's life cycle so am driving no more than 300 miles with it in the sump as per Seafoam's instructions.

I definitely would not use Seafoam or any other similar product with new oil as it will ultimately destroy the oil's lubricating properties and turn it to water.

This is just a quick in and out, a couple of days before the oil is being swapped out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
VW4L,

I agree that the oil is very specific and shouldn't be diluted with anything at the start of its life cycle. The PD engines call for 505 01 for a short term life cycle and 506 01 for a long life cycle of 10,000 miles.

This measure is at the end of this oil's life cycle so am driving no more than 300 miles with it in the sump as per Seafoam's instructions.

I definitely would not use Seafoam or any other similar product with new oil as it will ultimately destroy the oil's lubricating properties and turn it to water.

This is just a quick in and out, a couple of days before the oil is being swapped out.
If you are so hell bent on taking a chance with your Treg. why don’t you put the seafoam with new oil drive around for the 300 miles and then change the oil. This way you will have less chances of "deleting‘ your engine.

PS; make sure you have lined up a good mechanic just in case😥

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did change the oil myself after seeing the state of the air filters that were tens of thousands of miles past due.

I've used seafoam in tdi engines, including Pumpe Duse for 20 plus years without an issue.

Not hell bent on deleting the engine. Just putting my money where my mouth is. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts