Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive only been working on cars more than 20 years and I still did a dumbarse maneuver and managed to let the res run dry with the motive bleeder flushing the system.. Now I cant seem to get all the air out of the brakes and assuming its due to the ABS system.

Normal bleeding via just pumping or motive gets no more air out even after flushing a couple liters. Its rock solid with no air via that method.

Car off, pedal is pretty firm. About what I would expect from how it was before.

Car on, very mushy pedal and it can sink quite far. Nearly to the floor. I can still drive and stop just fine and have done a hand full of full 60-5mph ABS stops then re-bled. Still no air found. But the pedal definitely isnt right.

I have a legit copy of VCDS but its not like the 2015 or 16 instructions on bleeding the ABS. What seem like the right setting just gives a Security Access Required note.

Another thing I have noticed, before when engaging the E-brake you can feel it in your foot. Now I cant feel it with vehicle on or off.

Unless someone has some suggestions best I can think of doing is more full ABS stops, re-bleeding, try bleeding with vehicle running.. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Try this

Bleed ABS system (This process can be performed several times, but consume a lot of power from your battery and you can overheat your ABS pump. Try to do no more than 5 times)
  • Set the car level and apply parking brake
  • Fill brake fluid reservoir
  • Connect your car to computer using VAG-COM (this can be performed with LITE version)
  • Click on [03 - ABS Brakes]
  • Click on [Basic Settings - 04]
  • Set on Group 001
  • Click on [Go!]. Then follow instructions. The sequence must be: Press the pedal and hold. The ABS pump is auto activate for 10 seconds. Then release the pedal. Open Front Left External and Front Right External bleed port at the same time (connect the same hose to the Bleeder Kit in both sides with the other side of each hose in a container to avoid shed in floor or on the system). Click "Next-OK". The ABS pump is auto activate for 10 seconds again and bleed brake fluid and air to the bleed ports. Fill brake fluid reservoir again. Push, hold 1 second and release the pedal 10 times. Close the bleed ports and finish the procedure with VAG-COM doing "Done-Go Back".
  • Fill brake fluid reservoir

Theoretically, the way to do it without VCDS is to "engage" the pump through panic stops where it attempts to activate the ABS, and after 3-5 of these, it should have a similar effect to the bleeding process.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive certainly tried to follow that but the VAG-COM section doesn't seem to apply. I dont know if it was the change to VCDS or if its a T3 thing, but there is no "Group 001" to set. I can try to post screen shots tonight of what is there but there is are two options that seem to concern brakes but neither will do anything. They have different errors, but I can post those tonight.

Its nice and wet this morning though so Im headed out to do a few more good ABS stops.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Do it old school again, make sure you follow the correct order.

– Open the bleeder valves in the specified sequence and bleed
the brake calipers.
1- Left front brake caliper
2- Right front brake caliper
3- Right rear brake caliper
4- Left rear brake caliper
Get a helper if still NFG and do this
4.2.2 Post-Bleeding
Perform a post-bleeding when:
♦ the brake pedal travel is too long, or the so-called »soft brake
pedal«
♦ when a brake fluid reservoir chamber is completely empty on
vehicles with EDL, EDL/ASR or EDL/ASR/ESP. This happens
if there are leaks in the brake system.
A second technician is required during the post-bleeding:
– Depress brake pedal forcefully and hold.
– Open bleeder valve at brake caliper.
– Press brake pedal down onto stop.
– Close bleeder valve with pedal depressed.
– Release brake pedal slowly.
This bleeding procedure must be performed 5 times per brake
caliper.
Bleeding sequence:
1- Left front brake caliper
2- Right front brake caliper
3- Right rear brake caliper
4- Left rear brake caliper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do it old school again, make sure you follow the correct order.

Get a helper if still NFG and do this
Yep, done it 3 full times now. 2 times with motive, 1 with pump/hold. No air has been coming out but I may just put a line on the left rear and run a large volume thru it.

My full ABS stops this morning seems to have helped. The wet roads are a good thing here being able to keep ABS engaged longer. But seem each session of full ABS cycles then bleed makes it better little by little. Will probably do it a couple more times before giving touareg back to wife.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Were you able to figure this out? Or at least get it working after a few wet road stops? I was never able to get VCDS to operate the ABS and I've been trying to activate it in a couple gravel patches near my house but still haven't been able to get the pedal back to where it was before the flush.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you able to figure this out? Or at least get it working after a few wet road stops? I was never able to get VCDS to operate the ABS and I've been trying to activate it in a couple gravel patches near my house but still haven't been able to get the pedal back to where it was before the flush.
So far no luck on forcing ABS pump to bleed with VCDS but its gotten a little better with a pump/hold bleeding of just the outside fittings after a couple ABS activation. As soon as we get some proper rain here I'll do it again with ~5 60-5 full ABS stops then bleed the inside and outside fittings.

I think the only way to get a proper bleeding must be dealer or someone with a proper scan tool but so far VCDS has been a glorified scan tool and service interval reset tool for us.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, I raised that point in another forum and the "response" was less than satisfactory to me: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=498496&highlight=vcds

That said, I've been dealing with this exact issue since last March. I'll keep hitting those gravel patches when I feel safe but it's a bit unnerving to say the least.

I also have a VAS tool, but it's not in front of me. I'll try to find it tonight and post the information so we can see if it can be used. I used it to code an updated radio and change the CarPlay stuff (on my wagon, not the egg). If you're in SoCal we could probably meet up if the tool would help you.

Although you talking about rain makes me thing you're elsewhere. I'm in the desert so have gravel or sand to choose from. Are either one of them better/worse than rain to activate the ABS? Just punch it and hold my foot down, right? I believe I was trying it from 30-40...60 feels sketchy :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im up in Portland. We get plenty of the wet stuff here but had a crazy dry fall. 60-5 feels just fine as I hammer the brakes hard. Stops just as well as I'd expect and the pedal feels better each time I do it. And the last session we did get a fair bit more air out of the lines so I think it working.

I didnt do the inner bleed fittings just because I didnt feel like taking the wheels off for it again. But I will for sure after the next session and report bak.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So Ive only been working on cars more than 20 years and I still did a dumbarse maneuver and managed to let the res run dry with the motive bleeder flushing the system.. Now I cant seem to get all the air out of the brakes and assuming its due to the ABS system.

Normal bleeding via just pumping or motive gets no more air out even after flushing a couple liters. Its rock solid with no air via that method.

Car off, pedal is pretty firm. About what I would expect from how it was before.

Car on, very mushy pedal and it can sink quite far. Nearly to the floor. I can still drive and stop just fine and have done a hand full of full 60-5mph ABS stops then re-bled. Still no air found. But the pedal definitely isnt right.

I have a legit copy of VCDS but its not like the 2015 or 16 instructions on bleeding the ABS. What seem like the right setting just gives a Security Access Required note.

Another thing I have noticed, before when engaging the E-brake you can feel it in your foot. Now I cant feel it with vehicle on or off.

Unless someone has some suggestions best I can think of doing is more full ABS stops, re-bleeding, try bleeding with vehicle running.. Thoughts?
Did you try and get a hold of Rosstech? They will be able to help.
I did read something about getting the ABS module to cycle all the valves through VCDS. You can only do through this.
You must get the login code from the sticker in the trunk (boot) by the spare wheel. Next, you require the soft coding.
If you go onto Rosstech website/wiki, search for log in code and it will guide you through the process to get into the the ABS module. Once you are in then look at the drop down list to function the ABS module, etc...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
506 Posts
Go to the Rosstech/wiki main page, click on the manufacture, go through the list and find you particular model.
Under brakes click coding.

If you use VCDS, go into the brake controller, it will ask for a login, if the cursor is over the drop down box it should come up with the code to put into the login box

Also, have a look on Youtube:
It will explain what to do.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think you have jumped the gun a bit. Make sure you have the most up to date updates from Rosstech.
Look at Youtube again at this link
The link is explaining how to recode a Bosch ABS pump but will also tell you the steps to get to get the PR code, Login code, soft coding, etc... .
Basic setting code is almost always 040168, Brakes code will start with IL.
Hopefully this is not too confusing

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what to say. I've linked the wiki for the 7P Touareg twice now and it does not have that information.

I have the most up to date version of VCDS. The version you're linking to now is 11.11, which is about 8 versions behind the one that is currently available. I linked a video of what mine looks like so you can compare what I'm seeing against what you are linking...they don't the same options. Please click on the link I've provided so you can see what I'm talking about instead of linking me to another old YouTube video.

None of those steps in the two videos are available anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by me jumping the gun. There is no place to put a code in even if I knew what it was. I haven't gone too far ahead--the options don't exist or aren't where the videos you linked show they would be. Ross-Tech's position is that this is due to the new UDS system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts