Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do my rear brakes and am looking at different socket manufacturers after I realized that Craftsman (my number 1 preference for tools) doesn't make a 14M Triple Square. After looking high and low I stumbled onto a brand called Schwaben (who I guess is affiliated with ECS tuning?). My discount import store assured me this wasn't made in China, but online research suggests it is.

To make matters worse Snap-On offers this socket only in 3/8 driver and it is made in Taiwan...what the heck??

Any one use the Schwaben socket to do the rears on the T1-T2 and if so how did they do? Disaster success??

Thank you!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hard to find tools not made in China anymore.
I bought mine from an East Coast distributor, GermanAutoParts.com
Tools Volkswagen Brake Tools
12 point triple square bit, 14mm size. Impact rated, 1/2 inch drive. MetalNerd brand.
Have been using for a few years with no problems.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
over the last year or so now i have had good experiences with Bahco

Reactions: Spiegelglatt

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy Bahco does look good, but I didn't see a triple square. Looks like shipping would be a bit much... will have to remember this. Swedish company might be a good sign as for as quality.

The German Auto Parts site does list a 14MM, but being as I want to do this job this Sunday, I passed on this.

I have elected to get the Schwaben socket as it is local (actually just down the road) BUT I elected to also get a backup so I am purchasing a Capri tool XZM Triple Square socket too. It had great reviews on Amazon, but is made in Taiwan...but hey so is the Snap-On.

Fingers cross...

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Schwaben stuff I have gotten from ECS is made in China but has held up to some pretty tough use. My Craftsman impact sockets have not faired as well!

·
Registered
2010 TDI w/ air
79 Posts
I have some Schwaben stuff from ECS that I just threw in my cart to help with a job that I was buying parts for. They've held up as well as the rest of my assorted low-mid grade tools.

FWIW, I have a triple square set from Metalnerd and I love it. I don't use it very often, but it's very nice, IMO.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well as it turns out my dealer's parts department is run by kids who don't know their stuff--as it turns out, the socket I need is a 16M triple square and Schwaben doesn't make one. So I strolled down to NAPA and believe it or not I have a 16M Triple Square from Carlyle made and Taiwan, but 3/8" drive. I also ordered a 16M 1/2" drive from Capri tools (that will be here tomorrow). So I have two Taiwan made sockets from two brands we will see which survives. Any feedback on these brands?

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Truth be know they were Alex Gee's (big bad mud tyres thread) tools but all the same i was impressed

Boy Bahco does look good, but I didn't see a triple square. Looks like shipping would be a bit much... will have to remember this. Swedish company might be a good sign as for as quality.

The German Auto Parts site does list a 14MM, but being as I want to do this job this Sunday, I passed on this.

I have elected to get the Schwaben socket as it is local (actually just down the road) BUT I elected to also get a backup so I am purchasing a Capri tool XZM Triple Square socket too. It had great reviews on Amazon, but is made in Taiwan...but hey so is the Snap-On.

Fingers cross...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So to update this, the Capri 16M 1/2" drive held up and looks like it is good for another brake job. Anyone who has done this job knows how hard you have to ream on the breaker bar to remove these four bolts, however I think those that have broken these sockets (of unknown brand) may have had an angle issue as the bolts are hard to access without a lift. Highly recommended the Capri 16M socket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts