Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 TDI. Today I pulled up into a parking spot. I changed my mind and reversed to go go to a different spot. As I reversed, the wheels locked, I heard a creak and couldn’t move. I put it into drive and I could move. This is the first time it ever happened. What the hell was that? That was scary. I’ve never had this happen on any vehicle. Was it a parking break issue? ABS?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Do you have auto hold? Button illuminated behind the park brake switch? It applies the brakes when you come to a complete stop.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Could be done with the door open or if you have auto hold on, you come to a stop momentarily then start reversing, the system is just applying the brakes thinking you have come to a stop. Part of the safety system

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have auto hold? Button illuminated behind the park brake switch? It applies the breaks when you come to a complete stop.
No the auto hold was not on. Now that you mentioned it, yesterday, the parking break light also went off with the parking breaks till engaged. Perhaps this is a feature that I’m not familiar with

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn’t have the door open at least not that I’ve noticed. I was pulling into a spot and changed my mind so the door must have been closed. But I’m familiar with that feature. I had the car brake on me once with the door open.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No the auto hold was not on. Now that you mentioned it, yesterday, the parking break light also went off with the parking breaks till engaged. Perhaps this is a feature that I’m not familiar with
These "breaks" of yours have me smiling, brakes work so much better :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Probably a dragging shoe. Backing up self-actuates the brake(s). You can adjust them through the back plate using a brake spoon, or screwdriver if you're desperate.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Thought so too Tommi

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Probably a dragging shoe. Backing up self-actuates the brake(s). You can adjust them through the back plate using a brake spoon, or screwdriver if you're desperate.
On what? Certainly not on his vehicle.... maybe on an 85 Mustang with drum brakes!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
No backplate hole. Adjustment hole is under rim bolting surface and a screwdriver is to be used if required to bring left/right within air gap range for VCDS to finalize.... Just sayin

·
Registered
581 Posts
Still has a mechanical adjuster. Pretty sure setting the air gap requires taking the disc/drum off, which is pretty much impossible with a stuck shoe. Could be wrong though, I'm too lazy to look it up.
Doesn't the Generation 2 electric parking brake need VCDS to help set the air gap?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
OP, if you are going to make these adjustments, make sure you have VCDS and don't just do it by "feel" or you'll create yourself more issues.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
OP, if you are going to make these adjustments, make sure you have VCDS and don't just do it by "feel" or you'll create yourself more issues.
View attachment 242200
Exactly!
Must have VCDS to function check itself on the EPB. Once it function itself off/on a few time, it will tell you the air gaps it sees. If it is out of its parameters then you have to take the wheel gd, remove torx plug and adjust the shoes with a screwdriver. Once adjusted by hand, VCDS has function check the air gap again. Very time consuming as the air gap is 0.2 increments!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts