Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm new I want a v10 tdi sold my Porsche boxster and need a suv saw the touareg v10 tdi and said killer great hp great fuel milage for a vehicle of this caliber. But I sold my Porsche because everytime it went in I had to sell a organ to cover the cost. Are they really a problematic car? I'm looking at '06 models here in the states. I could step down to a v6 tdi if it's more reliable. Please anyone who owned or works on these honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Selling organs to drive a car that costs something short of something that you would see on the blackmarket for a spleen doesn't seem like to much of a stretch.

Finding a V10 that was well maintained, and has a decent set of miles is going to be difficult, but many of the folks on here once they landed one swear by them. Taking the bumps and bruises and the costs of ownership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I am really looking for confirmation to buy one, I have found some with with 50,000 to 70,000 miles I am just hoping to hear some people say I have had one for x amount of years with x amount of miles with or without problems, any major issues. Anyone owned one with 150k miles trouble free I don't want a car in the shop a lot, I understand it is a high performance vehicle but even some of those can be pretty reliable, please share your experience with me for I need to make a decision soon. I really need honest first hand experience good or bad because I really want one but need something reliable too.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
The boxster is cheap to maintain compared to the cost of a V10. Some Basic repairs require removal and replacement of engine which is a minimim $3K base charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nickm thanks for reply I see you own a v6 tdi would you buy again if you had to do again I like v6 as well? Seems like the v6 is smaller motor with more room to work on what do you think?

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I owed a V10 and loved it for the time I had it...after 20K in repairs I sold it and bought the V6 TDI. I've owed just about every engine in a Touareg and IMO the V6 TDI is the one to have. Sure it doesn't have the outright power of the V10 but its a much better handling, much better balanced package and its not slow by any means...it also gets ridiculously good fuel economy.

I really can't say a single bad thing about the V6 TDI, its a much more advanced design than the V10 as well (4 valves per cyl vs. 2, common rail vs pumpe duse injection). The V10 is powerful but loud and heavy, you can barely tell the V6 is a diesel.

hope this helps

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have a 2006 V10 with 66k mi. Holy hell.

Have a 2008 C2S and we fight for who drives which.

Have come to the conclusion that the Carrera is a scalpel and the V10 Treg is a sledge hammer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If maintenance costs are a factor follow Nickm's advice and pursue a V6tdi. I've owned a V10tdi and I'm confident the maintenance is well beyond the costs to maintain a boxster.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
yes the V10 is awesome but remember the OP got rid of a Boxster because of cost of maintenance. Advising him to buy a V10 is like advising him to sell a 2000sq ft home in a modest neghborhood to buy a 4000sq ft home in a wealthy neighborhood to save on property tax.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you can find a low mileage, one owner, well maintained vehicle and manage to negotiate an extended warranty, as I did, buy it. Last Dec, I found a 2004 V10 loaded that was traded back to the original dealer with only 25696 miles. I negotiated a platinum extended warranty (not a third party, but VW warranty) for an additional 72K miles/6 years. I love driving it, I love the acceleration. The only thing that puts a similar smile on my face is my ZX14 Kawasaki (with regard to acceleration that is).
It wont be without some risk and you will see that parts (without the benefit of a warranty) can be expensive. I have had a few tiny issues. New software for the center diff to remove the clunking, new comfort convenience module (keyless entry/locking), rear seat belt hangup in lowered position (real PITA) but no show stoppers.
If you need an excuse to justify something you are already going to do, then do it. But listen to the voices of reason here. Without the safety net of a VW warranty, I wouldn't have bought mine

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
The OP's question is an easy one. Buy the V6 TDI.

Although it won't be as fun, if that is what he is really worried about, seeing that he is coming out of the Boxter and wishes to maintain some sort of G factor in all this. Just sayin'.

Remember the old adage, you gotta pay to play.

As for finding a good deal on a V10 TDI with an extended warranty to allow you to "play", that is a short term solution, no doubt about that. However once the warranty runs out, he will be bringing this thread back from the dead to pursue the original question.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought my 2007 with 97K miles on it a few months ago. The Treg was on the other side of the Country so I had it inspected by a couple of fellow car enthusiasts. While overall I think they did a good job, they missed the fact that the AC wasn't working. I noticed it the day after the car arrived and, unfortunately, it was a failed compressor which required an "engine out" for repairs. While the engine was out, I sprang for new turbos and new O2 sensors. 2 weeks and $6500 later, I finally had the Treg home. The car has been flawless since then and I really have no regrets. I paid $21K for the car and then add the repair and pro-active maintenance and I'm ino it fro $27500. But, I know I have several new components and hopefully a long time in front of me before any more "engine out" repairs are needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just curios has anyone ever owned a boxster?
I paid $600.00 for a spark plug job with ignition packs
$1500.00 swap clutch
$$2000.00 for a rear main seal and IMF bearing
the engine has to be pulled to make repairs as well..... If this sounds cheap to anyone owning a v10 then I'm out.mtell me what you all think

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,453 Posts
The boxster costs seem to be on par with any performance car. My evo has similar costs, if not more involved for the same repairs you mentioned with the exception of the spark plugs (you got raped there). I guess it really depends on who does the repair.

As for the V10, those numbers together account for an engine removal just once. Don't forget the cost to replace all components "while you're there". The bills easily rack up. owning one of them without a warranty for the first few years is not for the faint of heart. I plan on extending my warranty as soon as it gets close to expiration. It is definitely more money than the other tregs.

Like Nick and VWDude mentioned, the V10 seems to be a bad choice based on your posts. A V6 TDI is what I would recommend too. A pre-owned 2009 or 2010 would be my favorite. They have so many more improvements and do not need an extended warranty of any sort. You just need to find one that doesn't cost a fortune.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
$1500.00 swap clutch
the engine has to be pulled to make repairs as well..... If this sounds cheap to anyone owning a v10 then I'm out.mtell me what you all think

Sounds cheap...$1500 clutch swaps are normal for just about anything that isn't an econobox. $600 is what you'll pay to swap plugs/coil packs on a VR6 VW (ie: Golf, Jetta, Touareg), or just about any V6 engine thats out there.

If you're looking to compare costs of the V10, you have to go waaaay up the Porsche ladder. The boxster is at the bottom end, cost of operating is along the lines of a GTI, Golf R or the like.

A V10 is along the lines of a Cayenne Turbo or Panamera Turbo as far as care/feeding and replacement parts are concerned.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
$1500.00 swap clutch
$20K for a V10 engine and $8K for a gearbox.

Yes, Porkers are definitely cheap.

Unless you have VERY deep pockets, buy the V6 Tdi.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
$20K for a V10 engine and $8K for a gearbox.

Yes, Porkers are definitely cheap.

Unless you have VERY deep pockets, buy the V6 Tdi.
Ditto! V10's a powerhouse and relative easy to purchase 2nd hand. Cost a motza to repair! V6TDI will give you a smile.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts