Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(posted this in another area on the forum, just in case this wasn't really a classified issue)

So I have been looking for a 2010 Lux limited for a while, and I just got this email from guy in Portugal that for some reason can't register the car (originally from the states) in Portugal. He somehow got my email, and sent me pics of the car. His email is [email protected] (dot)com, Anyway he sends me pics of a sapphire blue lux limited TDI with tech package (nice looking car) It has an R50n grill, so them I'm thinking with the rarity of this package with an R50 grill they would have to be on this forum, or did he hi-jack these pics from another member. He is saying he will ship the car to me on his dime, with no payment needed, and I can pay him after it arrives to me. I mean I know a scam when I hear one, but could it be true......

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
The vehicles in the background do not look like your typical European mix. Ask him to send you a pic with the Touareg next to some vehicles with Portugal license plates. Also get a pic of the VIN and manufacturer plates.

Sounds like a scam (Would you ship a car to another country before you knew you could get it licensed, and would you ship a car back to another country on your own dime without a contract?), but until you are called upon to put up some money or personal information, no harm to keep pursuing.

·
Registered
996 Posts
California plate 7TEK095. Scam for sure. Play along so that you can expose them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Run away, run away!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The car was made in Europe of which Portugal is a part.

They drive on the same side of the road as the US so apart from making sure the indicators/turn signals are all yellow, the parking lightspace at the front a white, and the speedo is in kph rather than mph (and for which you can buy a new dial) I don't think there is much else you would need to do in order to register the car.

I say it's a scam.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fear the worst! I agree with everybody else here who believes this is a scammer. When I was selling my 2004 Passat GLX wagon, I was quickly contacted by a person who claimed to be deployed in Kuwait, wanted to buy my car for his mother and was willing to give me more than my asking price. He claimed that he would arrange for a car carrier to pick it up and would bring a check with him. Auto Trader informed me that this was a scam and I forget how the rest of this scam was supposed to work, as they told me, but it would have ended with them robbing me. If it smells fishy, it usually is! I was also contacted by another scammer and was so irritated by this, that I decided to just trade my Passat in, rather than sift through a string of rogues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts