Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first set of tires for my Touareg that cost less than $1000 including install.

I decided to give a set of Cooper Discoverer HT's a try. I couldn't be happier! Cost less than $600 for the set installed. Great tread design and super quiet, sticks like glue and rides great.

Attachments

Registered
What size wheel are you on? We found out after like 8 months after buying our T2 that the place we bought it from put some dirt cheap tires on that are hardly sufficient. The max pressure on them are 35psi and he had the fronts at 43 and the rears at 39 which is spec on the monitoring system.

A friend of mine who owns a shop said was surprised to see a tire in that size that isn鈥檛 rated for 44psi. He said any tire they sell would be a 44 psi max rating.

So it鈥檚 been just over a year and I鈥檓 now running all 4 tires at 35 and have to deal with the low pressure warnings constantly. And being that the shop is also a tire dealer I thought they would have the equipment to adjust the tire pressure settings in the MFD but they don鈥檛. Anyway we will probably wait until next spring or summer but tires and a tow hitch are the first things on our list of upgrades.

Registered
Come back in 30,000 miles and tell us how great the are. Even cheap brand new Chinese tires seem great when the replace worn out, cord showing Michelin鈥檚. It鈥檚 all about context here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I only have about 1000 miles on them, so yeah.. my opinion might change by then. But for now, I am quite happy. I bought them at discount tire.

FWIW, they replaced the factory Michelin tires (2017 Touareg) with 15k on them. If I still have them at 30,000 miles then I'll already know that I am happy with them. That's been the limit for all my high dollar tires so far..

Check the reviews online for them, the consensus is pretty good.

Registered
So you wore out OEM tires in 15k? What are you people doing? I got my used '14 with unknown milage Pirellis and put almost 15k on them since... I would expect at least 30k out of any premium tire...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
No, I didn't "wear them out", one of the tires developed a bulge in the sidewall and I decided to try something new. I wasn't really happy with the OEM, after only about 8k miles the road noise and ride quality really dropped off..

This is my 2nd Touareg, and my 4th new set between the 2 cars, I haven't trusted any of the previous tires beyond 30k miles. Which, fortunately for me is quite a few years.. as I don't put many miles on my cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts