Club Touareg Forum banner

Sand Tyres

8K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Odessa 
#1 ·
Does anybody have recommendations for sand tyres, here in the West we have lots of sand tracks and dunes, otherwise the tracks are rocky. so they need to float over sand and be able to survive rocks.

Most off road tyres on this forum seem to be for mud?

I had Yokohama geolandars on my old Rodeo and they seemed to work ok?

I have 18" rims.

#2 ·
Hi, i dont have any exact tire to recommend, but in soft send its nice to have tires with stiffer side walls, as the main trick is to reduce the pressure and be gentle, and if the tire side wall is soft it can easily be chewed up and destroyed, :) hope this will help :)

#3 ·
All Terrain tyres work for me. For a couple of years I had Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT that got me through anything. But with age they became irritatingly noisy on bitumen roads.

Recently I changed to Pirelli Scorpion ATR and have not looked back. Equally good on dirt roads and soft sand, but without any road noise at this stage.

#15 ·
This would have to be one of the best photos on this forum!!

Attachments

#11 ·
alibaba fitted nitto terra graplers 285/60-18 and 5mm spacers to his V6

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/my-new-18s-with-285s-16411-2.html

these are mud tyres though and people have told me a less aggressive tyre will work better in sand and not rip the track up as much.

also a less wide but higher profile tyre can work better as they have a long tread contact patch when the air pressure is dropped, the extra width can be problem as it needs to pushed through the sand?

#13 ·
I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/R17. Been on the car for about 25,000 so far and happy. Haven't done much sand but they were fine the one time we were in deep sand, just airdown and took it steady.

#14 ·
not many understand the conditions we have over here, some of the sand is hard but there are many patches of really soft deep sand plus dunes.

these are images i downloaded from google (no tregs were embarrassed in these images) but this what we have to deal with over here.

big chunky mud tyres are not always the best option!

Attachments

#19 ·
Hi Ragman.

I too live in the west so understand the sand/limestone track issues. About 35,000 kms ago I installed Hankook Dynapro AT tyres. Very happy with these, good all round traction and surprisingly quite on road. I would recommend these tyres. Good luck!

Attachments

#20 ·
My V10 came with Pirelli PZ Rosso 275/45ZR19's good for the road but not for sand ... off-road, I change the wheels for 18" Kartoums fitted with Cooper 265/60R18 AT3's. They have been great on sand, running at about 20psi.

In Australia, some States do not allow you to go up in tyre size by more than a certain % over the original manufacturer supplied tyres. Tyre fitters, like Bob Jane T-Marts, will know what the rules are in your State.

Here are some pics of the Coopers, the first showing the tyres waiting to be fitted, and the second showing one on my Treg.

Attachments

#22 ·
Take a look at the new BFG KO2's coming to Australia. U.S. Landrover guys are pushing BFG/Michelin.

If you have 18" rims the 265/65R18 will fit and not rub. They have a rolling diameter nearly the same as the GY MTR's I ran on my previous V10.

Gerald

#27 ·
thanks Gerald, can I use the 265/65R18 without spacers? i looked at the 255/55R18 and it doesn't seem to have a lot of clearance to the top ball joint? yikes @$588 each they would want to be good.
Few guys running running 265/65/18 without any rubbing

#24 ·
Stated as the toughest tyres around. They are also LT construction, so side wall and ply is high rated, so 15-18 psi will see a good upright wall structure but provide a safe large footprint when needed during sand driving.

LT construction also holds better on the bead.

I got a quote from Jax tyres at$499 fitted for 6. I carry 2 spares and rotate each 5000km. It depends on your needs.

That profile makes them 801mm rolling diameter. The GY 255/55r19 I had on my V10 were 799mm due to their 14mm tread depth.

#26 ·
Hi Ragman,

Sorry did not read your post properly. Not sure about the spacer. Yes tyre width 265 compared to 255 could be a clearance issue, you would have to do the math and measurement.

Maybe your U.S. Counterparts might be wiser and run BFG's.

Regards

Gerald

#29 ·
Guy seriously i dont know what you are worried about these days. These vehicles do almost everything bar what you see on youtube of bloody idiots and then this can actually be done properly anyway. Its not like 30 - 40 years ago with the machines we had then. And even then they were do-able.

I ran a toyota landcruiser (modified with a VK 308 V8) on Fraser Island (biggest all sand island in the world) in 1997 (and not only the beach but the soft stuff inland) {and a few forbidden dunes but i didnt know till it was to late} a few years back the whole trip in 2wd with chunky mud tyres (BFG Mud Terrians 33 x 12.5 x 15) the whole time. Not a problem in the world !!!

I ran the v8 touareg just a couple of weeks ago in the same location. Wow what a breeze.

Both vehicles did it and did it well.

Both were around the same weight.

Both are different and have to be treated in the best way to perform the task at hand. Surely you guys know thi when dealing with 4x4's.

1 - I think it all comes down to how well you want to do the task at hand

2 - how well the operator knows their vehicle and therefore their own confidence and what they know they can get out of the vehicle

3 - what the vehicle itself can do regardless of the operator

Serious the touareg did all i asked of it.So many times i forgot to turn off ESP (i hear you guys screaming about it all the time to turn it off) but it still did what i needed it to do and on the rare occasion when the vehicle reminded me i would turn ESP off.

Moral ... know your vehicle first, be prepared and then practise.

ITS NOT ALL ABOUT TYRES IT IS ABOUT YOU AS AN OPERATOR KNOWING YOUR SKILL AND THAT OF THE VEHICLE YOU ARE COMMANDING

Tyres ... doesnt matter what you have on sand its how you use it.

BUT ... less aggressive tyre makes the job easier but that just comes down to a less heavy foot

and if anyone goes andtells me to go buy a Forrester they can shove it up their ...... ill let you finsih the rest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.