Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have recommendations for sand tyres, here in the West we have lots of sand tracks and dunes, otherwise the tracks are rocky. so they need to float over sand and be able to survive rocks.

Most off road tyres on this forum seem to be for mud?

I had Yokohama geolandars on my old Rodeo and they seemed to work ok?

I have 18" rims.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hi, i dont have any exact tire to recommend, but in soft send its nice to have tires with stiffer side walls, as the main trick is to reduce the pressure and be gentle, and if the tire side wall is soft it can easily be chewed up and destroyed, :) hope this will help :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
All Terrain tyres work for me. For a couple of years I had Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT that got me through anything. But with age they became irritatingly noisy on bitumen roads.

Recently I changed to Pirelli Scorpion ATR and have not looked back. Equally good on dirt roads and soft sand, but without any road noise at this stage.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree with your comments about the duellers murraycod, and also I found the (lack of) wet bitumen grip was frightening.

what size are your Pirelli Scorpion ATR?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine are 17 inch rims, P245/65/R17 111T.

Normally I drive at about 40 psi but air down to about 20 psi for soft sand.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Im now running cooper ltzs, so far been very happy, lot of others reported good performance on soft send and rocks, :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks murraycod, what size are yours nikoloz?

for my V10 I will be probably looking at 255/55 (or 60) 18 depending on availability.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
my setup is HUGE :D 285/50/20'' with Cayenne wheels, but as far as i know there is only one size for 18'' and its 285/60/18. equally huge :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alibaba fitted nitto terra graplers 285/60-18 and 5mm spacers to his V6

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/my-new-18s-with-285s-16411-2.html

these are mud tyres though and people have told me a less aggressive tyre will work better in sand and not rip the track up as much.

also a less wide but higher profile tyre can work better as they have a long tread contact patch when the air pressure is dropped, the extra width can be problem as it needs to pushed through the sand?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
on sand wide tires work much better. as you have much more surface for grip :) and wider tires allow to spread the weight evenly on more surface compared to narrow tires :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/R17. Been on the car for about 25,000 so far and happy. Haven't done much sand but they were fine the one time we were in deep sand, just airdown and took it steady.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not many understand the conditions we have over here, some of the sand is hard but there are many patches of really soft deep sand plus dunes.

these are images i downloaded from google (no tregs were embarrassed in these images) but this what we have to deal with over here.

big chunky mud tyres are not always the best option!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Im now running cooper ltzs, so far been very happy, lot of others reported good performance on soft send and rocks, :)
This would have to be one of the best photos on this forum!!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Ragman.

I too live in the west so understand the sand/limestone track issues. About 35,000 kms ago I installed Hankook Dynapro AT tyres. Very happy with these, good all round traction and surprisingly quite on road. I would recommend these tyres. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
115 Posts
My V10 came with Pirelli PZ Rosso 275/45ZR19's good for the road but not for sand ... off-road, I change the wheels for 18" Kartoums fitted with Cooper 265/60R18 AT3's. They have been great on sand, running at about 20psi.

In Australia, some States do not allow you to go up in tyre size by more than a certain % over the original manufacturer supplied tyres. Tyre fitters, like Bob Jane T-Marts, will know what the rules are in your State.

Here are some pics of the Coopers, the first showing the tyres waiting to be fitted, and the second showing one on my Treg.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.