Club Touareg Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Update for anyone following...

I am still waiting on the fuel flange and new seal/gasket to arrive. I am experiencing a TERRIBLE gas smell in my car now ever since the dealer checked it out and I suspect some gas was spilled inside the rear seat due to sloppy work or perhaps they didn't re-seal the lid that covers the fuel flange area. I needed to remove that rear seat bench to do this.

So I went to autozone and bought a small kit of torx bits for my socket wrench. The largest bit worked in those outer bolts I inquired about in my previous post (funny how they are different size than inside bolts). These outer bolts were not torx bolts but the largest torx bit in the kit I purchased worked to remove them, giving me access to the fuel flange area. In this process, I noticed that the rear middle seat belt anchor was only secured with 1 of the 4 10mm triple square bolts that it is supposed to have securing it down. Also, the terrible gas smell was the result of the lid that is supposed to cover the fuel flange not being secured on AT ALL. It was just open with some wet gas pooled over the flange from when they removed the hose. I sopped up the wet gas but there are multiple bolts missing from my car including 3 10mm triple square bolts to hold the middle seatbelt anchor in place as well as 4 10mm nuts that secure the lid that covers the fuel flange area.

I understand that the dealer probably just assumed that I would go through with the work being done with them so they left all these parts open. It is also my understanding that the seatbelt bolts are one-time use only so that's part of this as well.

I called the dealer and they are charging me for the bolts. I am just going to pay since it's a measly amount and move on with my life. My wife's Tiguan lease is expiring soon and we won't be going back there for another VW.

The flange and parts are arriving tomorrow and I will do the DIY fix then and check back in.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
^^ If you wished to explain the problem to the dealership, a nice professional letter to the General Manager and to the Owner of the Dealership would be the best way. Unless the dealer steps up, nothing will be done as VW has washed their hands of the problem.

If someone affected would like to get something done about the situation, file a new NHTSA report stating that you had the fuel leak recall done and that the recall solution is also a failure. Takes under ten minutes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I completed the installation of the new fuel flange part and gasket in about 15 minutes. Wicked easy. I found an ifixit.com tutorial to follow with helpful tips but once I got into it, I really didn't need it as the repair is extremely straight forward.

I noticed that the electrical socket orange gasket had broken so I will try to find another one. Anyone know what that part is?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I love how confident I sounded in my last post... what an idiot.

So this morning the car won't turn over. It just keeps trying but it appears as if the engine is not getting gas. I believe that when I fired up the car last night after installing the new fuel flange part, the car ran on the gas that was already in the lines coming out of the fuel flange. When I tried to start the car this morning, it turned over once and then the engine cut out. It now won't turn over.

Is there air in my lines? Do I just need to let the car keep trying to turn over assuming it's pushing gas through the new lines and unit to prime it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I opened it back up and I just didn't connect the fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the flange properly. This time it make ad audible "click" when I attached it. I fired up the car and it is fine now.

It's fixed now. This repair WOULD BE EASY for someone who takes their time and reads directions even when they sound basic.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Back in the days of dialup, people would ask questions that we would answer...

RTFM Page 27

I have been there and can truly say "I share your pain", or is that shame. Whatever. I got a boy scout badge in it.

:D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just seeing this now.

My Treg is due to go in at end of month for this recall. However, I did not pay much attention and just wound up replacing the badly cracked / discolored filter assembly on my own. The passenger side (no filter) is also looking bad and I just ordered that part from FCP-Euro. I did replace both rubber gaskets,

Sounds like VW will fight reimbursing for the parts since I used EOM VDO and not VW branded?

For those who had issues after replacement and were told that your fuel pumps must have coincidentally failed after the recall was done (like on your way home from the dealer). ,,,

There are a bunch of hoses. I missed one on each side and had to go back in for each. On driver side I had a no start so that was obvious. On passenger side, less obvious. Pumps act together but differently based on fuel level. I had less than 1/4 so everything seemed fine. Put in a few gallons and it died feet from the pump. Thanks to this forum, I discovered that pulling C19 404 bypasses primary pump so I was able to get home thinking pump went bad. I pulled passenger side assembly out and looked in tank. Sure enough, a hose that I had not touched was disconnected, must have come loose when moving everything else. Snapped it back and all good. Bottom line, I suspect these coincidental pump failure are indeed rally that the mechanic did not get all the hoses reconnected.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My Treg is 2004 V6 petrol. 140.000km on clock. I bought it at 128.000. Pumps have never been touched since the carpet shows no signs of cutting. No problems so far. Let's hope it stays that way I'll probably get a set of vdo pumps to be ready for when they decide to go. But I'm wondering after all the amount of pumps going out on these forum no one have tried to understand why or what causes this failure or even repair them. People are repairing kessies and cluster and v10 turbos and what not but no one ever tore down a pump. I volunteer to do the teardown with a friend (treg owner) if I can get my hands on a failed pump. Might even get one on ebay and tear it down just to understand what the heck is wrong with these guys. And they are expensive too !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 132 of 132 Posts